Would jack johnson style work today

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by HeavyweightCP, Aug 20, 2013.

1. HeavyweightCP

HeavyweightCP Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 16, 2011
    i think it would be hard he would have the change it a little do you think johnson style would work in todays era?

2. OvidsExile

OvidsExile At a minimum, a huckleberry over your persimmon. Full Member

Aug 28, 2012
    Not a chance. He got away with being slow and holding a bunch because everyone else was tiny and even crummier boxers than he was. He took the heavyweight strap off a guy who was 5'7" for chrissakes! Look at the top heavyweights from his time.

1) Jack Johnson 6’0”, 200 lbs
    2) Jim Jeffries 6’1”, 219 lbs
    3) Bob Fitzsimmons 5”11”, 165 lbs
    4) Jim Corbett 6’1”, 188 lbs
    5) Stanley Ketchell 5’9”,170 lbs
    6) Philadelphia Jack O’Brien 5’11”, 160 lbs
    7) Tommy Burns 5’7”, 168 lbs
    8) Marvin Hart 5’11”, 195 lbs
    9) Sam Langford 5’7”, 156 lbs
    10) Joe Jeannette 5’10”, 198 lbs
    11) Sam McVea5’10”, 208 lbs
    12) Al Kaufman 6’1”, 191 lbs
    13) Gus Ruhlin 6’0”,200 lbs
    14) Tom Sharkey 5’8”, 183 lbs
    15) Fireman Jim Flynn 5’10”,175 lbs

3. HeavyweightCP

HeavyweightCP Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I think he would still be a great fighter but would need to make changes to his style

4. Boilermaker

Boilermaker Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 6, 2004
    Isnt Jack Johnson's style in some ways similar to the style which Ruiz successfully used, except that Johnson has far better punch variety and skills?

I think that Johnson's style would be surprisingly successful, although obviously it would be boring and he wouldnt be well accepted by the public. YOu would think that the leaning back stance would also be problematic, but who knows, i would love to see the two Klitchskos use this style, just to make comparisons, and i think that each would ahve been equally as succesful as they are now, using it. In some ways, Vitali does have a similar style.

Actually, it is quite interesting to think how certain fighters would fare using different styles. Imagine George Foreman with his weight on the back foot, unleashing an uppercut like Jack Johnson, or Mike Tyson on his toes moving and boxing like Corbett, Or Ali crouching and firing a left hook like frazier. I dare say, most all time greats would still be very good boxers, no matter which style they employed, but it would obviously hurt some more than others.

5. MrPook

MrPook Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 15, 2007
    200 lbs is cruiser limit. So he could be making noise at cruiser. What I have seen of that area fighters did not have the skill of today though. But he would have the mentallity so yeah could have been a good cruiser.

6. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Johnson could be a better , harder punching Chris Byrd but would have to increase his punch output and fight at cruiser where he belonged ... he was 192 when he beat Burns and never looked better physically ...

7. apollack

apollack Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 13, 2006
    Of course Johnson could be successful. For a 12-round bout, he wouldn't train down in weight. He'd be 210 - 215 at least. He was fast, defensively skilled, had enough pop to get respect, and the footwork to move in and out. And if you think he clinched a lot, what do you think the Klitschkos do every and any time someone gets close to them?

8. apollack

apollack Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 13, 2006
    I think Vlad would hold Johnson as much or more than Johnson would hold him.

9. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007

This content is protected

10. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Actually Johnson probably fought more world class fighters over 200lbs than any other champion prior to the 70s, with the possible exception of Joe Louis.

The myth of him only fighting smaller fighters is based on the fact that the surviving film reflects that, but it is really not something he should be pulled up for.

11. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Who are his greatest victims?

Sam Langford 154 pounds
    Joe Jeanette 185 pounds
    McVea probably around 200-205
    Tommy Burns 168 pounds
    Marvin... oh, that's right. never mind.

I don't include a washed-up, innactive Jeffries who didn't have even a tune-up.

12. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Wait till McVey shows up !!! :deal

13. Boilermaker

Boilermaker Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 6, 2004

Your chin example may (arguably) be a fair point.

The low guard, i am not so sure about, but possibly also. In some ways, i can see Wlad in particular landing that long hook later in the fight, but it is not a punch Wlad throws often and i see no reason why Johnson cant avoid it.

Your point about johnson being outworked and punched, i cant see as being relevant. Wlad doesnt (unless i have misread most of his fights which i dont think i have) really is not much more than a straight one, two clinch. This of course has been very effective for him, but it certainly not something that is foreign to Johnson. Wlad obviously will be better and maybe even bigger and stronger than most of the guys Johnson beat, but it is not foreign to him.

Your point about the reach nullifying Johnson's Jab, is of limited value also. Johnson's best punch was the uppercut not the Jab. No matter who you are, the uppercut will have less reach than a jab. Johnson, like any uppercut thrower got around that problem.

ONe final point regarding clinching, i dont understand whyso many think clinching is suicide against bigger opponents. It isnt ideal, but it is the best way to nullify their (presumably) power advantage. In Jacks case, the thing which hurts him most is the modern gloves. Johnson will struggle to grip the arms of his opponent, which was a big part of his game. This, along with the referee is the two biggest things which hurt him, imo.

14. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Having this **** on two boards is very confusing... especially when I have a separate persona for each board.

15. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Who is Larry Holmes greatest victim?

Some champions records are based on volume more than quality.

His greatest victim was Sam Langford, who went on to be the greatest fighter of the gloved era.

His best wins in terms of the era, were Martin, McVea, Burns, Jeffries.