Would like some advice with a Weight-Lifting Routine for Boxing

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by Bogotazo, Feb 10, 2012.

1. El Puma

El Puma between rage and serenity Full Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Lefty, you're a wealth of knowledge.

2. pichuchu

pichuchu Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 13, 2011
    Yeah 2004 was 8 years ago. How did Cuba do in the worlds? im not looking to start an e-fight either its a matter of opinion and mine is that Cuba was miles ahead of the rest 10 or so years ago and lately that has changed and they no longer are the force they were

3. Spooner21

Spooner21 Member Full Member

Apr 4, 2011
    lol 8 years isnt very long. we'll wait to see what happens this summer, and ill gladly put my foot in my mouth if they dont come away with at least a handful of medals

4. lefty

lefty Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 29, 2006
    The amateur game has changed mate, I'll be surprised if they get one gold medal. The Cuban 81kg fighter is good but had a bit of luck at the Worlds and the only other decent Cuban prospect is in the 60kg division. Unfortunately for him that's also the division Lomachenko is fighting in and I can't picture him reversing the whooping Lomachenko gave him at the Worlds.
    The Cubans haven't adapted to the times, the experienced 75kg Cuban and silver medallist from 2008 got dropped and beaten early on at the recent Worlds.

5. japtech

japtech Member Full Member

May 18, 2012

101% True :bbb

6. japtech

japtech Member Full Member

May 18, 2012
    I usually train for boxing doin max out every 4 weeks
    1st week 3 x 12
    2nd week 3 x 10 (+1 weight)
    3rd week 3 x 8 (+2 weight)

4th week max out again and start over but usually try to use the 3rd week as reference

Take it easy, not alot of weights, slow reps

7. boxingtactics07

boxingtactics07 Active Member Full Member

Nov 3, 2007
    Keep it as simple as possible. Follow a basic 3 set / 3-5 reps workout regime focused on the squat, deadlift, military press, and bench. Pullups and rows will be added to round off the program. This is to establish a base, teach form, and work up to a true 5RM as the beginning will be a lot of trial and error. Pullups will be an exception to the low rep rule. You will be focusing on just doing the exercise for reps until you can do 50 quality ones (grease the groove or a 5 set reverse ladder workout with the lowest 2 reps increasing each new workout day). After that then you can move onto a weighted chinup routine or a progressive one-arm chinup routine (via convict conditioning is what worked for me). If you choose to do bodyweight Rows instead of weights, same rule applies (work towards 50 quality ones). 5/3/1 by Jim Wendler would be a good idea after you get a general idea of what your maxes are. Then you can customize and design your own program - with the variety that he offers to fit your wants and needs. The above is what works, but I'll also give an opinion on this.

Prioritize which one is more important (boxing or weight-lifting). Is the boxing there to supplement as the conditioning portion of a general fitness program or is the weight-lifting there to supplement the boxing as the strength portion of the training. The reason I say this is that a boxer would be more beneficial (if he chooses to do standard weight-lifting for his strength training instead of bodyweight/gymnastic exercises, olympic lifts, resistance band training, strongman training, etc) in hitting a few basics like the military press, squat, deadlift, and pullups; and then just doing some rehab/injury prevention/posture correction work to supplement it. The bench press is probably one of the more controversial exercises. Use it if your a powerlifter or a bodybuilder, as it allows for the greatest load that the upper body can handle, strongly consider scraping it as an athlete. I know I'll upset the bench press crowd with this and to a lesser degree - the bicep curl crowd for not even mentioning them, but it is what it is.

8. DrBanzai

DrBanzai Active Member Full Member

May 11, 2012
    Honestly that is a horrible workout, please don't give advice about weight training because you have no idea what you are doing. Talk about non functional illogical training. :patsch

9. El Puma

El Puma between rage and serenity Full Member

Jan 8, 2006
    He's a ****ing idiot.

My advice would be to do a combo of Clean and Jerks to Thrusters with 95-155lbs depending on your strength level.

It would be the only weightlifting I would do for boxing. Fantastic results.

10. Bogotazo

Bogotazo Amateur Full Member

Oct 17, 2009
    I appreciate the follow-up posts, and feel free to keep at it if you find it useful, but just so peeps know, I'm now done with the class and back in the gym training with my coach, so it's all good. Thanks again for the replies.

11. JDK

JDK Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 29, 2010
    What a mess you created, tazo.. lol
    Kinda hard to pick up the good, real advice from all the hate posts in this thread.
    Might as well be reading Saxons "advice" material :nut

12. Hut*Hut

Hut*Hut New Member Full Member

Nov 8, 2010
    Just thought I'd break my posting duck here to point out thats just about the worst training routine for a fighter imaginable. The stickied routine is much more sensible.

13. MURDR

MURDR Active Member Full Member

Oct 16, 2011
    While I obviously am not much of a boxer at the moment, I am an avid weightlifter. Not trying to push my routine on anyone, I'm just saying that this is usually the routine I do and it works FOR ME:

Monday:

BB Squats 8-6-5-4-3-2-1
    Front Squats 1-1-1-1-1
    Leg Extensions 15-15-15
    Leg Curls 15-15-15
    Core
    Cardio

Wednesday:

BB Flat Bench 10-8-6-5-4-3
    BB Incline 10-8-6-5
    Tricep Pushdowns/Dips superset 3 sets of 15 pushdowns and 10 dips
    Chest Flys 15-15-15
    Core
    Cardio

Friday:

Deadlift 10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1-1-1
    Bent-Over Row 8-8-8-8
    Good Mornings 10-10-10
    Lat Pulldowns 10-10-10

Saturday:

Overhead Press 8-6-5-4-3-2-1
    Hang Cleans 5-4-3-2-1
    Shrugs 15-15-15
    DB Curls 10(each)-10-10
    Core
    Cardio

14. Scorpion

Scorpion Boxing Addict Full Member

May 9, 2006
    KAZAKHSTAN!!!:bbb:ibutt:ko

15. Scorpion

Scorpion Boxing Addict Full Member

May 9, 2006
    To be honest though, what is it that makes Russia, Ukraine, Kazakhstan and Cuba so dominant at amateur boxing?

I remember reading Vassily Jirov's training methods, and although brutal as hell, I don't see how it is so effective.