Would Mike Tyson have been able to take Povetkin's power shots without getting knocked out?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by mark ant, Oct 24, 2020.

1. Surrix

Surrix Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 16, 2020
    I think people underestimate prime Povetkin because did not had watched Prime Povetkin.
    I do not take this as offense, he is not from U.S, maybe therefore was not interesting? This might be normal.
    Prime Povetkin had not only good hooks, his punching arsenal is relatively wide.

Difficult to measure. Douglas is not well known at all. Still he stopped prime Mike.
    Povetkin had quickly stopped Perez, he went full distance vs prime Klitschko. Old Povetkin stopped Whyte.
    Whyte is strong, tough and powerful boxer, large HW boxer. Klitschkos are large and very strong, prime their versions were dangerous as hell, large HW boxers.
    Prime Povetkin was damn tough small HW boxer. Kitschko defeated him via decision despite Klitschko is pretty heavy and large if compare with Povetkin.
    A.J too is really large HW boxer, heavier, Oly champ and with better reach. Prime A.J vs over the hill Povetkin.

Of course I agree that to land something big on 1988 th Tyson was hard task.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  2. UFC2020

UFC2020 Active Member Full Member

Sep 15, 2019
    Povetkin will come to fight but Tyson has too much power for him and will get Ko'd or Tko'd eventually

Rumsfeld likes this.
  3. bandeedo

bandeedo VIP Member Full Member

Feb 19, 2007
    some of you kids just dont know. mike was a true prodigy. he wasnt just a slugger with a devastating punch who swung for the fences. and those werent just a bunch of bums he was running over, he was just that good.
    his command of distance was amazing, an rarely duplicated even in the lower weights. he managed to keep you within his reach no matter what defensive tactics you employ. so good he could hit you when your falling down backwards away from him. just look at his accuracy on moving targets from every position and in every position. he had lock on lasers in both fists.
    his footwork was also better than any hw out there, including uzyk. just look at how quickly he can slide from one side of you to the other to expose you to his hook. or how quickly and accurately he can slide into range on much bigger and longer guys so that his lasers can get his stubby arms close enough to detonate.
    he trusted his power a lot, so he was happy to trade with you or flurry with you, but if you didnt drop, he could weave through your flurries and time you with pin point accuracy.
    take a good look at what mike is doing, and able to do. never mind the opponents, i dont expect many to know how good they actually were...the good ones and the bad ones. just concentrate on the speed, command of distance, timing, footwork, defensive awareness and tactics. this dude was special.
    This content is protected

4. young_wolverine

young_wolverine Member Full Member

May 31, 2019
    Tyson in his prime is too quick and has too solid defense for Povetkin but if Tyson can take Povetkins power? Absolutely not. Tysons got a good chin but in this era of heavyweight boxing every fighter has enough power to put someone to sleep if they land flush thats just how it works once you get well above 200 pounds and each fighter is on average at least 3 inches above 6 foot. Id definetly pick a prime Mike against povetkin just cause tyson knocked out fighters povetkins size but Povetkin would be a very difficult challenge for Tyson and tyson would have to be careful Id pick Tyson against a lot of fighters this era but once you get to the upper echelon of the division Tysons chances naturally go down and down.

5. Noel857

Noel857 I Am Duran Full Member

Mar 24, 2019
    You are so right anybody with any serious boxing knowledge knows Povetlin could not live with iron mike.Different levels completely

bandeedo likes this.
  6. bandeedo

Feb 19, 2007
    prime mike never had to "find his distance", he came in with a full lather, shorts and a towel. locked and loaded.

Noel857 likes this.
  7. Surrix

Sep 16, 2020
    Well, Douglas is not well known at all. He still had finished prime Mike in distance.

Povetkin had went full distance with large Prime Klitschko, this boxer is larger than Mike and very strong.
    Povetkin had finished in distance: Byrd, Rahman, Charr, Perez, Takam, Wach.
    Older version had finished in distance Price, Duhaupas.
    Now 41.y.o Povetkin had KOed Whyte.

Boxers like Whyte, Takam, Charr, Klitschko are considerably heavier than was prime Mike.

Guys, you really are thinking that prime Povetkin might be less dangerous than not well known Douglas?
    Why?

8. Noel857

Mar 24, 2019
    Douglas was top notch when fit and taking a fight seriously. Admittedly that was not always the case.He too is a level above Povetkin

9. Surrix

Sep 16, 2020

Because for you primary criteria for boxer's level most likely is boxer's race and origin. :bananaride

10. bandeedo

Feb 19, 2007
    hey, man. you gotta stop doing that. you keep making all differing opinion race related. theres enough of it already without you creating them out of thin air.

11. Surrix

Sep 16, 2020
    I suspect people are biased against Prime Povetkin.
    Why?

statement here was :

If this is truth, where are well known in all world Douglas achievments besides this one: knocking out prime Mike?:D
    Still he is level above Prime Povetkin? Really?

12. Noel857

Mar 24, 2019
    Well he beat three former world champions in Oliver McCall,Trevor Berbick and Greg Page all who are better than Povetkin

13. Surrix

Sep 16, 2020
    I suspect that you are hater. You think Prime Povetkin was not good?
    Why?

14. Surrix

Sep 16, 2020
    Pk, boxer not from U.S = for you might be only levels below?
    As I already had expected, nothing new here.

15. Noel857

Mar 24, 2019
    You are wrong i have great respect for Povetkin but he has been a good fighter in a bad era.