Would Peak Joe Frazier take down Lennox Lewis?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by AngryBirds, Nov 16, 2022.

1. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Yeah okay Nat.
    Personally I think Bruno and Vitali hit appreciably harder than
    Mike Bruce and Oscar Bonavena both of whom floored Frazier,but I bow to your superior knowledge.
    21 years old, 10 fight Ruddock had an asthma attack against Jaco and retired, if I recall correctly Jaco hadn't won a round.

Tyson said Ruddock," punches like a ****ing mule", but what would he know?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2022
  2. Flash24

Flash24 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    If used properly against Frazier , of course. It's the reason I wrote in the very 1st part of my post Lewis could make very short work of Frazier, like Foreman did.
    The problem is Lewis never fought that way. If he never did it, how could anyone say he would? It wasn't his mental make up or the way he was taught initially. Maybe if he got "Doc" Brodus, "Dick"Sadler and Archie Moore in his corner and was pushed in training to take advantage of those physical advantages he'd be able to pull off what Foreman did.
    But if we are being real , Lewis was the typical European style boxer. That style relied mainly on the Queensbury rules of boxing . He wouldn't take advantage of his physical advantages as Foreman was trained to.
    That's the difference. Lewis may have had those physical advantages. But would he take advantage of them. His history suggests he wouldn't.
    That would leave a way open for Frazier doing what he did best, to beat him.
    Styles make fights. James Toney was much more impressive against Holyfield in just 9 rds than Lewis was in 24 rds.... Why?
    Styles and skills...... Not height, or weight, ot power.

Barm, Smokin Bert and Entaowed like this.
  3. White Bomber

White Bomber Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 31, 2021
    1. Frazier doesn't beat Lewis in a million years, Lewis destroys him.
    2. Lewis had a good enough chin, the idea that he had a glass jaw is a myth. In fact, I'd bet Lewis had a better chin than Frazier.

4. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Prepare to encounter dispute pal.

5. turbotime

turbotime Hall Of Famer Full Member

May 4, 2012
    No.......Lewis would box his ears off ala David Tua (Who would also KO Frazier)

Mark Dunham likes this.
  6. cuchulain

cuchulain VIP Member Full Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Would Peak Joe Frazier take down Lennox Lewis?

No.

Down goes Frazier, down goes Frazier...

Mark Dunham and ikrasevic like this.
  7. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Tyson, Bruno, and Vitali of course Lewis fought them all. J. Francis said Vitali hit harder than Tyson and Danny Williams said Tyson's hit a little harder, but Vitali was more constant with his power. That's what the fighters said.

But either way every man ( Vitali, Bruno or Tyson ) hit harder than man fan Frazier beat.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2022
  8. CrouchStanceBoxing

CrouchStanceBoxing Member banned Full Member

Oct 29, 2022
    Maybe but I did not saw them fighting anyone or beating anyone notable at that time.
    Bonavena was never knocked cold unlike these guys and hit as hard as them.
    Asthma attack my ass, tons of excuses for his loss like he said he was past prime against Morrison who was coke addict and had hiv.

9. CrouchStanceBoxing

CrouchStanceBoxing Member banned Full Member

Oct 29, 2022
    Who did Lennox Lewis knocked fast again?
    Old Mike Tyson after 8 rounds and Morrison while Muhammad Ali knocked Foreman,Liston and stopped Frazier so Lewis power is not that much as everyone want to make it.
    Maybe he hospitalized him but he was the one who ended punch drunk.
    Ali beat Quarry and Bonavena so he was not that outshaped and those two next wins are dubious especially Manilla.

10. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Tua did land some clean hooks early and Lewis took them without being noticeably hurt. I recall one hook by David right at end of one of the early rounds. Tua was no Frazier but he might have hit harder punch for punch because all he did was load up on them. David's left overall wasn't the weapon that Joe's was but at the Sametime Frazier still has to get in range to land it.

One of the things I learned many years ago was you don't want Lennox Lewis hitting you. That's never turned out well for anyone.

11. ETM

Mar 19, 2012
    Not many punchers are on par with George Foreman in the history of the division. He was one of a kind. Out of your list of names Lewis himself is the only one that is in the same zipcode with Big George.

12. ETM

Mar 19, 2012
    It's just keeping it in perspective. Those guys could hit but mainly their power was devastating only against B and C level opponents. Journeyman, aging fighters.

Mark Dunham likes this.
  13. ETM

Mar 19, 2012
    1. ? I would favor Lewis and probably bet a good sum on him if this bout was really happening. Frazier would have a punchers chance.

2. If Lennox Lewis were 5-11 and had to come into his opponents like Frazier did you would have never heard of him as he wouldn't of even turned pro. Frazier had a tough chin, insane determination, exceptional stamina. There's not a handful of heavyweights that could have taken the punches Joe took in Manila. Before or since.

choklab and Barm like this.
  14. Mark Dunham

Mark Dunham Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 19, 2021
    too small and not enough weapons and I dont see Joe reaching LL often, while taking reams of punishment I doubt Joe makes it past eight rounds

15. ETM

Mar 19, 2012
    What we saw in the ring carries the most weight. Ruddock landed square on Tyson with the best he had over two fights and couldnt budge him. Mike even tapped his chin and gave Ruddock a free punch in their first fight. Don't recall anyone giving Big George that courtesy. He also landed his best shots on Tommy Morrison and couldn't get him out of there. I'll always take what I saw with my own eyes rather than depending on crazy Mike Tyson's quotes.