Would Prime Foreman Overpower Louis?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Fergy, May 7, 2021.

1. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    .. Or does the open wide Foreman make for an easier target for the Bomber?
    I's Foreman coming forward, swinging bombs, Louis s worst nightmare..
    And if not, how does Joe nail this beast in front of him?

2. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Foreman would be tailor made for Louis.

His power fight bail him out, but I don't think that it would.

3. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    If Galento can bull rush Louis and rock him I guess George can too. Importantly though, no matter how controlled he was Louis always fired back. However, Louis definitely can’t afford to take a wild sustained avalanche from George.

The key for me is the moment in the Max Baer fight where Max suddenly exploded into action, throwing the kitchen sink at Louis just when he thought he had Joe trapped near the ropes.. and Louis just fired with him using more accuracy! It was an incredible sequence. Round one. Watch it.

It just took the play away at just the right time. Louis punched himself out of trouble. Baer wound up having to defend himself and going into his shell. Louis really cracked him in order to punch him off.

For me, Louis can do this with George too. He was too pin point. Too ready to be caught out in a fire fight. And that’s just how George fought. All thunder.

Foreman was immensely strong and never gave up. So if Louis can’t nail George to the floor he can potentially be in trouble at any moment.

I pick Louis. But with great fighters you can’t rule anyone out.

Last edited: May 9, 2021
    Stevie G, ETM, Bonecrusher and 10 others like this.
  4. Gazelle Punch

Gazelle Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 15, 2018
    I agree w this. Feel like he would beat George to the punch everytime and have the power to make him hesitate. Kind of like how Ali hit George w lead rights think Louis would be tagging him w combos. George always has the chance of a KO though especially against Louis who tended to leave himself open on occasion while throwing

5. Balder

Balder Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Nov 10, 2012

Baer broke his right hand in that flurry, and it was a shame, because that was the fight everyone wanted to see.

It showed that Baer was much better than he is nowadays considered, Had he not broke his hand, that fight could have turned out much different. Baer went into a shell because he became a one handed fighter, and it was just a matter of time till Louis finished him.

I would take the wild swinging Foreman to batter Joe out within 5 rounds. Louis could get tagged, and dropped. Foreman would finish him in an amazing show of power and skill between both men. Joe just does not have the chin that Big G had.

6. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Foreman in his prime was open and held his head up straight and was a bit easy to hit with straight punches.
    Louis would have to box him really well though, which he would.

ETM, Bonecrusher, RockyJim and 3 others like this.
  7. Samtotheg

Samtotheg Active Member Full Member

May 4, 2021
    Louis would have murdered foreman , I got Dempsey taking Foreman out early and easy too!

8. louis54

louis54 Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 20, 2013
    No telegraping puncher could ever , ever beat louis!... If so Blackburn would drop louis like a hot potato....

Last edited: May 7, 2021
    ETM, Bonecrusher, RockyJim and 2 others like this.
  9. The Fighting Yoda

The Fighting Yoda Active Member Full Member

Jan 5, 2021
    I think the longer the fight would go, the better the odds for Louis. Young George Foreman (from 60s/70s) knocked out his opponents early. His only remarkable knockout win in the second half of a fight was vs. Gregorio Peralta II (TKO 10). On the other hand, Joe Louis was during the whole fight a terrific finisher with his fast and accurate combinations.
    It is questionable if he could withstand Foreman's enormous onslaught and his devastating punches in the first few rounds.
    On the one hand, Joe Louis didn't have a granite chin and he wasn't a great mover, but on the other hand, his chin was still solid and he was a tremendous puncher too. I guess that a well prepared Louis with a game plan and Jack Blackburn in his corner could deal with Foreman's power in the first rounds, and would stop Foreman in the later rounds. He'd have to fight very cautiously though.
    Hence, I favour Louis, but just by a small margin (maximum 60:40). Whoever would win I would't be surprised.

ETM likes this.
  10. Toney F*** U

Toney F*** U Boxing junkie Full Member

Oct 16, 2019
    Dempsey would get murdered by foreman, terrible stylistic match up

11. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    No. He'd try and he'd be greeted with dozens of brutal shots.

Last edited: May 7, 2021
  12. fists of fury

fists of fury Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 25, 2006
    Agree with all of the majority sentiment.
    But you need to give Foreman credit for his great jab. He wasn't unskilled back then, just reckless.

Stiches Yarn, Bokaj and HolDat like this.
  13. lone star

lone star Active Member Full Member

Mar 10, 2018
    Totally agree. George would completely over power Joe. Walk him down and corner him and open up with every punch.

moneytheman12, Reinhardt and Noel857 like this.
  14. 70sFan865

70sFan865 Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 30, 2019
    How can you simply walk down such a powerful puncher?

15. lone star

lone star Active Member Full Member

Mar 10, 2018
    Watch George’s footwork. Then watch Joe’s. George manoeuvres Joe right into position. Then he just does what young George did. Throw everything at Joe.

moneytheman12, Reinhardt and Balder like this.