Would Prime Louis Have Stopped 90s Foreman??

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Fergy, Feb 20, 2021.

1. Clinton

Clinton Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 22, 2009
    Great post, John

JohnThomas1 likes this.
  2. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Old Foreman was more durable because he had improved his defence, learned to roll with punches better and had also learned to pace himself better.
    It simply isn't possible for a fighter's chin to improve with age, it just doesn't happen. It was a stylistic and mentality improvement that made George more durable with age.

Glass City Cobra likes this.
  3. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Of course prime Louis would KO 1990s Foreman.

4. Boxing2019

Boxing2019 If you want peace, prepare war. Full Member

Jul 22, 2019
    Watch from time 1.19

This content is protected

I have watched this round dozens of times and at one point I thought that if instead of an Old Foreman there had been Foreman of Kinshasa tthat young athlete after 6, 7, 8, 9 consecutive blows from Holyfield would have been KDed/KOed for sure...instead from old he absorbed passed the middle of that fight nearly 20 hard hits almost without batting an eye. If one considers that Old Foreman has come to decision even with Morrison and Briggs (harder hitters than Ali and Young), one can conclude that George Foreman is one of those few cases of fighter in boxing history with a bone-muscular-nervous-vascular structure of the head (chin) + stamina incredibly better than when he was younger. Dont ask me how that was possible because the only who can explain this is the same Foreman imo.

Many say Tyson dodged Foreman because too hard to drop even for him.

Bob Goodman a famous boxing matchmaker and promoter witness of a speech between Tyson and Don King some years ago said: “You’ll never believe this but Tyson is scared s***less of Foreman and wants no part of him. I was there when Don was trying to make the fight. He was telling Tyson that Foreman represented huge money, plus he was old and slow and would be no problem. Tyson got up and screamed at King saying, ‘I’m not fightin’ that f****ng animal. If you love the motherf***er so much, you fight him!".

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    Gatekeeper likes this.
  5. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 18, 2009
    I get what you're saying but alot of those punches didn't land cleanly because of George's cross arm guard and second Holyfield was never a big puncher and by that point in the fight he was tiring and had taken some big punches from George so his some of the pop would have gone from his offense.
    If a young Foreman has used the cross am guard and learned to pace himself would he have been able to take those punches from Holyfield ?? I believe he would have.

6. Boxing2019

Boxing2019 If you want peace, prepare war. Full Member

Jul 22, 2019
    The mistery remains imo.
    However Holyfield had enough power to drop Bowe, Tyson and Mercer.

7. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Thanks Clint.

Clinton likes this.
  8. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    Old George would have been stopped on his feet.

greynotsoold likes this.
  9. Somali Sanil

Somali Sanil Wild Buffalo Man banned Full Member

Sep 1, 2019
    If he was competitive with an all round complete and tougher fighter than Louis in Holyfield, then he is going to be there at the end with Louis. I wouldn’t be surprised if Louis hit the canvas on his way to a very hard fought win

10. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016
    Totally agree, when I think of this match I recall the sequence where Evander landed over a dozen straight shots on George. Joe Louis drops anyone he lands multiple combinations on and when it comes to combination punching in heavyweight history, Louis has no equal. Louis TKO's a 42 year old Foreman,,,badly.

11. RulesMakeItInteresting

Mar 23, 2019
    Louis unquestionably hit harder than Holy, and was about as fast. George was dazed after Holy's blitzkrieg; his eyes would be rolling up in his head after Louis. Fight stopped.

louis54 and Reinhardt like this.
  12. RulesMakeItInteresting

Mar 23, 2019
    Young Foreman would have knocked the bejesus out of Holy way before he'd have gotten the chance to fire that many punches.
    I am a huge fan of Holy, but young Foreman....though he would have had a tough time with prime EH, i think George punched too hard for him imo. Slower than Bowe, but even more bullying and an amazing finisher.

13. HolDat

HolDat Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 25, 2020
    A prime Joe Louis could make an older Foreman nervous, thus losing his composure. George's jab would be essential to have a chance to win.