Would Tyson have surpassed Marciano's record if he stayed on track?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by AngryBirds, Jan 24, 2023.

Would he?

1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    17.0%
  2. No

29 vote(s)
    61.7%
  3. Maybe

10 vote(s)
    21.3%
  1. AngryBirds

AngryBirds Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 3, 2022
    People have talked about this although it seems no ones done any real discussion on it. Had Tyson chosen to keep Rooney and the others in his corner instead of firing them, we know he'd have stayed on track because they'd have kept a handle on his wild behavior. Speaking of Rooney, he firmly believed Tyson could've smashed Marciano's 49-0 record prior to the Douglas loss. Seeing as how good Tyson was....I think he would've as well.

The only plausible arguments for those who could've stopped him were Holyfield or Lewis, but I'd still favor Tyson over either of them considering how he faired in their actual bouts. What do you guys think?

Sangria likes this.
  2. Terror

Terror free smoke Full Member

Mar 22, 2010
    No, because he would have fought Holyfield, Bowe or Lewis sometime between 38-0 (wins vs. Buster Douglas) and 50-0.

3. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    I don’t think so. As already mentioned, the division was getting bigger, stronger, younger and better. The longer Tyson went the more wear and tear he would have sustained. What’s more is that he didn’t have the type of style or body type that aged well with the sport.

Tockah likes this.
  4. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    If he had fought the type of clothes horses and tomato cans Marciano did he would have gone 100-0.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2023
    BoB Box, Frankus, Reinhardt and 4 others like this.
  5. Dynamicpuncher

Dynamicpuncher Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 14, 2022
    I do love your sarcasm always gives me a chuckle.

6. Dynamicpuncher

Dynamicpuncher Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 14, 2022
    As for the thread no he had Bowe, Holyfield, Lewis, and a whole bunch of other dangerous Heavyweights in the 90s. Hes bound to pick up a loss somewhere.

JohnThomas1 likes this.
  7. Sangria

Sangria You bleed like Mylee Full Member

Nov 13, 2010
    On track with the right people, meaning he'd be training as hard as he did to get to the top with Rooney and the original Team Tyson involved? Yeah, it's possible, even with Ruddock, Old Foreman, Holyfield, Bowe, Lewis, Morrison, Moorer, Mercer and the rest coming into their own.

On paper he'd be favored over all of them. And if all the above were dominant in their own way to a title shot while posing as dangerous threats then I'm sure Tyson wouldn't be slacking off either. But it's a tall task...VERY tall task...

If anyone could pull the trick, it would be Mike Tyson.

White Bomber and Tockah like this.
  8. Barrf

Barrf Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 19, 2021
    Nope. At some point he runs into Holyfield, Bowe, and Lewis. He's likely to lose one of those.

Then there's a really off chance that someone like old Foreman or Mercer runs a perfect fight plan, has a perfect night, and takes him out. Or maybe Morrison or Ruddock lands the perfect shot.

I don't see how he can make it to 50-0 given the talent coming online in the division.

Tockah likes this.
  9. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Yep. He wasn't getting past that lot multiple times over time.

mcvey, Pugguy and Dynamicpuncher like this.
  10. Sangria

Sangria You bleed like Mylee Full Member

Nov 13, 2010
    Foreman would never have a perfect fight plan and wishes he could pull off what Holyfield did. Neither would Mercer. And Ruddock did land multiple perfect shots where Tyson didn't budge.

The best chance would be Bowe.

White Bomber likes this.
  11. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    He would have lost to Buster Douglas, so no.

young griffo, cuchulain and choklab like this.
  12. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    :lol: Me to. Second to none.

mcvey and Dynamicpuncher like this.
  13. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    If he stayed focused, it's very possible. Lewis imo was to green around that time to beat Tyson. Bowe's defense would've been his downfall. I go back and fourth on Holyfield. Had they fought in '91 I would've favored Holyfield because Tyson was training as much, and neglecting what got him to the top (hence why he lost to Douglas and struggled with Ruddock), but if he stayed on track as OP suggests, it's anyone's fight imo. Holyfield had a very dangerous tendency to slug it out when hurt. I don't think this would've worked to well against a 100% Tyson.

Sangria, mcvey and Blofeld like this.
  14. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    He didn’t stay on track.

Jackomano likes this.
  15. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    This is it. Very unlikely he beats Holyfield or the other two.