Would you pick any Lightweights to beat Tommy Hearns?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by BitPlayerVesti, Nov 11, 2019.

1. The Morlocks

The Morlocks Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Yeah. When Hearns was looping and quasi hooking his rght hand in I knew there was trouble. His power came from driving right down Main street and turning the punch on his 1st 2 knuckles. He wasn't doing this except that 1st shot.
    Another thing to ponder; Angelo Dundee said that is Thomas Hearns had better balance, he would be almost unstoppable. Tommy often, when boxing , looked like a newborn cold trying to "get his legs".

ETM and Reinhardt like this.
  2. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Actually. that last punch on Duran was different than what he usually threw. He got more power on it and you heard it land. Usually you did not. It was a go home punch. Usually he threw punches in the center of the ring. The one time he threw a punch like that was against Leonard in round 3 in 1989 when he knocked him down. Almost the exact same thing as the last Duran punch. He threw a jab to the body and went upstairs but Ray ducked that punch, but the punch or Tommy's arm cuffed him on the back of the head and pulled him down.

Tommy's legs were not great, but with that big upper body and thin legs he would never have strong legs going the distance. When he was welterweight and superwelt. he lasted better. Maybe because he was younger, or the weight in his upper body was not so much that his legs didn't get tired.

3. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016

The Duran that beat Leonard would beat Hearns at 147, Tommy wasn't a strong welter.

ETM likes this.
  4. Reinhardt

Oct 4, 2016

This,,,,, I 've watched practically all of Roberto Durans fights on film, many several times. After his win over Ray Leonard the lion was well fed. He had been acclaimed as the best fighter in the world period, the mountain had been climbed, the poor kid was rich now , able to do anything he wanted. I don't think we ever saw the real Duran after Montreal again, his beating of Moore was closest. Gil Clancy during the broadcast of the Hearns fight said it best,," Duran never had it from the opening bell".. he looked like he'd showed up for a sparring session he looked so bad. This doesn't take away from Hearns or is intended as an excuse, Tommy Hearns never looked better ,just an explanation .He later gases out and loses to Robbie Sims and looks done again, then motivated for what ever reason he becomes the oldest man to win the middleweight championship just a few weeks shy of his 38 birthday knocking out the man who blasted out Hearns 5 years later!!! The motivated Duran of 1980 would use the head movement and quickness that Sugar Ray Leonard couldn't handle and get inside on Tommy, the hook Duran wobbled Leonard with in the second round would cause Tommy's weak chin to buckle . I doubt a hurt Tommy Hearns survives more than 60 seconds against this version of the Los Manos de Piedra.

ETM and Seamus like this.
  5. The Morlocks

Nov 21, 2009
    Excellent

Seamus and Reinhardt like this.
  6. The Morlocks

Nov 21, 2009
    Excellent. Excellent. Agree wholeheartedly.

ETM and Reinhardt like this.
  7. Saad54

Saad54 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 10, 2014
  8. The Morlocks

Nov 21, 2009
  9. Saad54

Saad54 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 10, 2014
    I do think the prime 147 lb Duran would give Hearns a much better fight than what happened at 154 - still Hearn's physical advantages are massive. Duran would have to take some hellacious right hands. The naturally bigger Duran was able to do it against Hearns at 147. Duran may be able to do it. But, I still favor Hearns to win that matchup.

10. escudo

escudo Boxing Addict Full Member

May 13, 2014
    You never actually watched the fight did you? Hearns beat the **** out of him, even managed to cut him, all before nailing him with that shot. Hearns owns Duran the same way he owned Cuevas.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  11. Reinhardt

Oct 4, 2016

Yeah ,like Rahman owned Lennox

ETM and The Morlocks like this.
  12. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Perhaps Barbados Joe Walcott, if you can accept him as a lightweight.

BitPlayerVesti likes this.
  13. SeanK

SeanK Member Full Member

Apr 3, 2019
    he also walked to the wrong corner after the 1st, I don’t think any version of Duran can be favoured.

14. The Morlocks

Nov 21, 2009
    He walked to the wrong corner while kicicking Moore's auss also

15. The Undefeated Lachbuster

The Undefeated Lachbuster I check this every now and then Full Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Interrupting our current Duran war to say nice pfp, the outlaw Josey Wales is my favorite Western

The Morlocks likes this.