You can choose 3 boxers, current and past, to help you in a bar fight, who do you take?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by VeryMoistWalrus, Oct 13, 2021.

1. OP_TheJawBreaker

OP_TheJawBreaker NOBODY hit like that guy! Full Member

Jun 23, 2021
    - Tony Galento
    - Yvon Durelle
    - George Chuvalo

2. Pepsi Dioxide

Pepsi Dioxide Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 22, 2020
    Chuck Wiggins- apparently he was pretty infamous for beating people, fighters, police etc in bar fights, even when he was older and out of shape. He's my experience guy

Mike Tyson - I saw what he did to Mitch Blood Green in the street, Im pretty confident with this one

Vitality Klitchsko - huge human being, super tough, he's a "doctor" so if there are injuries maybe he can help (sports medicine? Maybe HD can at least give me some tips for working out), but my main reason is that he's a politician, and maybe he can keep my team together and keep Tyson and Wiggins from killing each other when the drinks start flying

3. Pugguy

Pugguy Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 22, 2021
    This thread provides the perfect opportunity to relate an article I read in a non boxing dedicated magazine eons ago.

To cut a more detailed article short: John L storms into a bar, proclaims that he can lick any SOB in the house and screams that the the drinks are on him.

Patrons scramble to the bar for their freebie. However, John L spies one well dressed man who remains seated at a table, quietly eating a meal.

John L marches up to him and barks that when he shouts, every man MUST drink. The seated man stands up and politely declines John L’s offer, saying he’s not a drinker and would prefer to finish his meal.

Enraged, John L swings a mighty punch that lands wrist deep into the man’s stomach. It doesn’t budge the man at all, rather, the man picks up John L, holds him high overhead and then hurls him across three tables.

John L gets up, dusts himself off, approaches the man and says “Well, there’s at least one man who doesn’t have to drink when I’m pay’n.”

The quiet man who was simply trying to enjoy his meal in peace? George Hackenschmidt. Renowned wrestler, strongman, life long fitness freak and teetotaler who lived to the ripe old age of 90.

As Ripley’s Jack Parlance used to ask: BS or not? More than likely the former but a ripping yarn at any rate.

young griffo and Rumsfeld like this.
  4. cross_trainer

cross_trainer Liston was good, but no "Tire Iron" Jones Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Perhaps too early for Hackenschmidt?

There's a sliver of truth in it either way; Sullivan was often manhandled by William Muldoon, who trained him for the Kilrain fight and kept him away from booze. Sullivan realized the necessity, but came to hate the man.

Pugguy and Rumsfeld like this.
  5. Journeyman92

Journeyman92 I’m become seeker of milk Full Member

Sep 22, 2021
    If you can look at Valuev and say "I can take him" as an untrained guy you are either mad or potentially the bravest man I know.
    Club frat boys would see Nikolia and most likely weep.

6. Journeyman92

Sep 22, 2021
    George 'The Russian lion" Hackenschmidt was the man. He floor pressed 400+lbs before steroids were even a sparkle in someone's eye. I believe he even boxed a little in his younger days.

cross_trainer, louis54 and Pugguy like this.
  7. White Bomber

White Bomber Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 31, 2021
    In case you didn't know, men were on average smaller back then.
    Plus, there's the chance that nowadays you'll encounter someone in a bar that actually knows how to fight a bit.

8. Journeyman92

Sep 22, 2021
    I don't doubt it but there were plenty of boxers, wrestlers ect back then.

70sFan865 and cross_trainer like this.
  9. cross_trainer

cross_trainer Liston was good, but no "Tire Iron" Jones Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Sullivan was 5'10" and 190 pounds when in shape; bigger out of it. That's big enough to fight people in bars, unless you're frequenting a bar where somebody's hosting an Ultimate Fighter cast reunion.

As far as skill goes, Sullivan fought under bareknuckle London Prize Ring Rules three times over the course of his career. Throws, headlocking-and-punching, and standing guillotine chokes were legal under these rules. By contrast, none of the aforementioned techniques are legal or trained today in Western boxing.

Finally, as to Sullivan's barfight opponents (this conversation is getting a little surreal...), I seriously doubt that the tiniest, least experienced guys in the room were the ones taking Sullivan up on his offer to have a barfight. Unlike a boxing match, barfights also carry the risk of an armed opponent. Or more than one person. Sullivan recreationally having barfights in an era where the admittedly (on average) smaller men were more violent and armed than today tells me that he could probably handle himself in a modern barfight as well.

Like, how do you become more qualified to win barfights than literally going from bar to bar offering to fight people?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
  10. Pugguy

Pugguy Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 22, 2021
    Good point re possible time line issues. My orig. posted actually had John L entering saloon after a victory as I recalled the story but that didn’t make sense since Hack was just 15 yo when John L lost to Corbett. Anyway, that might’ve been a gaping plot hole in the story I read or I simply mis-recollected the finer detail. So I edited the preceding victory out. So, Hack would’ve been 20 yo by the later 90s so, if post career John L was still bombastic as ever, silly old bigger , a late 90s or early 00s encounter is possible.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
    Journeyman92 and cross_trainer like this.
  11. DJN16

DJN16 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 15, 2013
    Wouldn't matter

12. Journeyman92

Sep 22, 2021
    I suppose but your best chances are with heavy's. It would be a sight to see Duran tear through ranks of untrained brawlers none the less.

13. DJN16

DJN16 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 15, 2013
    Smaller guys=Duran, Pryor and JCC.

Big guys = Holyfield, T Morrison and Vitali.

Turns out Tyson and Liston are busy.

cross_trainer and White Bomber like this.
  14. 70sFan865

70sFan865 Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 30, 2019
    Yeah and much fitter.

Seriously, how can anybody believe that people can fight better on average than in the 1880s? Most people today are obese and can't do any sport activities.
    So Sullivan didn't know how to fight, despite doing that for years? I guess you believe that you'd beat him in a fight right?

15. White Bomber

White Bomber Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 31, 2021
    I'm a welterweight and I've only sparred a bit, I'm not a great fighter in order to back myself.