You cant have an opinion if you have never boxed

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Manlikesquid, Mar 31, 2020.

1. Manlikesquid

Manlikesquid New Member Full Member

Apr 1, 2017
    Now this is something that I cant bear to hear from the likes of Bellew and Tony Fowler who say you dont have a clue if you have never been in the ring blah blah but are happy for the fans who blow smoke up there ass to sing there praise even if they also have not. What are peoples thoughts on this? I have boxed at low novice level (5 fights) and I believe I see shots, movements, timings etc better than If I had never laced gloves. If I had the skill, discipline, work ethic, time and commitment to carry on much further than I have would I see a lot more than I do now from a spectators point of view? Im not so sure.... It is a double edged sword because see the likes of Dan Rafeal give opinions on boxing when he couldnt run 100 yards talking down abourt fighters is painful however Bellew and Tony Bellew will happily give opinions on other sports like Football, have they wore a set of football boots? What do people thin

moog, Gatekeeper, LoadedGlove and 2 others like this.
  2. Manlikesquid

Manlikesquid New Member Full Member

Apr 1, 2017
    Im sure this forum will be a mix of people who have boxed a lot and people who have never been in a boxing gym in there lifes so am sure will get very mixed views!

3. Furious

Furious Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 2, 2017
    I think it depends on the context - I often see it used towards people who criticise heart/bravery of fighters. I think in that instance it's fair enough.

I think it becomes silly if it's being used to say you can't have an opinion on boxing at all if you haven't boxed. In that case, taking out the heart/bravery thing, you'd have to apply the same rule to all other sport which would be ridiculous.

Fowler is terrible for it isn't he, but I think that's mainly down to him being very very insecure.

CutThroatFade and LoadedGlove like this.
  4. ryanm8655

ryanm8655 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 23, 2008
    I don't think the fact you haven't boxed means you are clueless. How many of the best fighters have become great coaches? There are a number of excellent trainers who didn't have any/much of a career as a fighter. It's generally a line trotted out when people don't like what they're hearing or can't refute a point in my opinion, it's lazy. It's a bit like getting into a debate about the economy with someone and rather than refuting what they say, just turning around and saying "well I did an economics degree so what do you know", despite the fact that person has spent years reading the financial press and investing in stocks and shares as a hobby.

You do get a lot of clueless idiots, so maybe that is where it comes from. Think people get fed up of the trolls and just punt out that line.

CutThroatFade and Manlikesquid like this.
  5. Holler

Holler Doesn't appear to be a paid matchroom PR shill Full Member

Mar 12, 2018
    I'm more interested in the arguments people make than their claimed life experience. Often when someone is shutting down an argument on the grounds their opponent lacks experience they're actually seeking to change the topic because they don't have a good answer to the point being made.

It's also clear from numerous boxing commentaries that being a good fighter doesn't neccesarily make you a good boxing analyst. Conversely, there are fighters who weren't the best who turn out to be very good at calling a fight.

6. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    It's like saying you can't have an opinion a piece of music unless you compose pieces and/or play an instrument yourself.
    Or you can't have an opinion on films unless you make films yourself.
    Or any piece of art, for that matter.

OR ..... you can't complain about that **** wall the building firm built for you unless you're a bricklayer yourself.

etc.
    etc.
    etc.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  7. sniffmybadger

sniffmybadger Relationships are not my forte Full Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Normally I'd say just ague the point and don't detract by going after someones credentials in any topic not just boxing, it just makes your own position sound weak. As someone else mentioned if someone is criticising a fighters heart or bravery than I understand why people would bring it up, personally, I'd just not engage them in conversation and let them be an idiot.

CutThroatFade and LoadedGlove like this.
  8. DavidBarnes

DavidBarnes Member banned Full Member

Dec 8, 2019
    People who have never even learned how to box often have no idea what they are watching from a tactical or technical point of view. But of course everyone can have an opinion, just doesn't have much weight behind it when the opinion is that guy is **** or fecking knock him out.

9. Shakermaker

Shakermaker Active Member Full Member

Mar 19, 2019
    Curtis Woodhouse is the worst for this, spouts some sh*t that fella. Like has been previously said, there’s a big difference between your average bloke at the pub shouting knock him out watching an AJ fight to someone who’s a keen follower of boxing but has never boxed more than hitting the bag or pads at the gym

10. Patter983

Patter983 Active Member Full Member

Jul 20, 2018
    Absolute bollocks ! Insulting or criticism towards a fighter for certain things like someone before has put is understandable , but having an opinion or being a boxing fan doesn’t count if you have never been in the ring is absolute rubbish ! I have been around and trained boxing throughout my life but the most knowledgeable boxing people I know couldn’t fight sleep! But you could talk boxing with them all day everyday.

don’t want to stereotype here but it seems the scouse boxers love the opinion doesn’t count because you have never boxed i.e Bellew Fowler Paul Smith, but then these same guys want to ram home there opinion about things they no **** all about I.e politics for one ! It is quite funny to be honest.

11. Little brian

Little brian Active Member Full Member

Jul 21, 2019
    Of course you can have a valid opinion. It's when you're questioning fighters hearts etc and talking like your opinion is fact that bothers them. And let's be honest, a pro fighters opinion carries more weight than a forum posters ever will, that's just common sense.

Don't really get the politics analogy as politics is something that directly affects us every day of our lives, we all have real life experience of the effects of politics on our lives. Boxing doesn't do that. It's a niche combat sport.

LoadedGlove and Heisenberg like this.
  12. PaddyGarcia

PaddyGarcia Trivial Annoyance Gold Medalist Full Member

Feb 13, 2014
    Agree with OP. Curtis woodhouse uses that a lot because he often cannot explain why he thinks he's right. By his own logic anyone who got farther than him in the pro ranks immediately knows more than him and he must stand down in that argument...

Don't get me wrong, since I've been training\sparring there have been things I've learned that I wouldn't have otherwise but that doesn't mean I'm necessarily right when discussing something with someone who has never boxed. Plenty of these historian types have never boxed and yet know a damn load more than I do about the sport.

Gatekeeper, Sugar 88, Furious and 3 others like this.
  13. tee_birch

tee_birch Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 6, 2014
    Boxers are like any other sportsman. The paying public pay their salaries so they are entitled to voice their opinion, even if it’s non sensical.

ashishwarrior likes this.
  14. sniffmybadger

sniffmybadger Relationships are not my forte Full Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Did Enzo Calzaghe ever box?

Devon Dog and LoadedGlove like this.