You cant have an opinion if you have never boxed

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Manlikesquid, Mar 31, 2020.

1. Cecil

Cecil Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 22, 2015
    So, that rules out 99% of the population then.

2. Naked Snake

Naked Snake Active Member Full Member

Feb 25, 2020
    It's fallacious. You don't need to be a five star chef to know when a meal is bad and you don't need to be a master carpenter to know that a wobbly table is a bad table. Pro boxers, even champion boxers, are just as capable of talking utter **** as someone who's never boxed before.

ryanm8655, Holler, Jurgen and 3 others like this.
  3. Tankatron

Tankatron Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 1, 2014
    I used to box/ kick box in my early 20's. Had a couple of low level fights, and sparred dozens if not 100's of rounds with some of the young studs in the gym. Competed a bit more in Karate as I got older but again, just at inter club level. I have no problem with forum opinion, I do however have a problem with people who've never had a go calling fighters 'bums' or 'cowards' or claiming 'he quit!'.

I used to **** myself just a little bit when I sparred certain people in the club. It wasn't as if you could say 'nah, I'm fine', and trust me when I say head guards don't do **** when you're getting punched down the pipe, through your guard right on the ****ing nose. I've been bloodied up a few times and broke a partners nose during a particularly competive, hard spar. All the lads in the club were at least Super Middle size with a few doormen that used to attend who were Super Heavies and absolute monsters, who I also sparred on occasion. At the time I was around the 90kg mark and 5'11" so was often undersized and would take an absolute battering in the early days.

I just think there are one or two too many keyboard warriors on here and they stick out like a sore thumb to be honest. I think the only time I've ever been really down on a boxer is when it comes to Deontay Wilder as many of his fans (Dubblechin) have an extremely skewed opinion on the guy and talk as if he's a lock for top 10 ATG status.

4. Here's Johnny

Here's Johnny Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 18, 2015
    To repeat what many have said, I think they are entitled to opinions but shouldn’t really question someone’s bottle unless it’s really bad and obvious. As for calling someone a bum, I just don’t get it. Anyone who has been in at any level should get plenty of respect and I like all levels of boxing as long as it’s competitive.

moog, robo, Potwash and 4 others like this.
  5. Ken Ashcroft

Ken Ashcroft Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Reminds me of the bickering I used to have all the time with my wife when we were watching boxing on the TV. She always laughed when I get all worked up and shouting for the particular boxer I was supporting, to do this and do that. She always liked to say that I never boxed a real contest in the ring in my life so who am I to tell these pro boxers what they should be doing or how to box? I used to counter that by saying why does she love watching movies and telling me all the time who couldn’t act and what bad performance certain actors were giving when she, herself never had a acting lesson in her entire life?

Man, those were the days when the wife and I could talk endlessly about anything. Lol.

6. sniffmybadger

sniffmybadger Relationships are not my forte Full Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Having experience in the ring will give you an understanding of the sweet science and a better perspective of what a fighter is going through, but your experience shouldn't be used as a card to trump someone in an argument, otherwise it just looks like you can't objectively argue your point of view.

7. Devon Dog

Devon Dog Member Full Member

Dec 29, 2017
    Ben Davison , Dom Ingle , Adam Booth ! They may have had a few amature fights but not much

I am 50 boxed for the army cadets when I was young I have always run I have been a runner for 38 years now I am waiting for daylight as I type to do my six mile run ! I have city in guilds in sport and coaching . I have been a boxing fan all my life I can just about remember the rumble in the jungle.
    There is not a fight I dont miss and I consider myself and anybody else that has been a life long fan well schooled in the sport .

If any professional boxer has something to say about us not knowing what we are talking about I will remind you of this
    We spend a lot of our spare money on tickets ,Merchandise and PPV so be careful who you accuse of not knowing what they are on about . We are the ones paying for your Range Rover ...Hope this helps

moog, Inglis_1 and Wizbit1013 like this.
  8. "TKO"

"TKO" Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 23, 2007
    Careful with your double negatives :roflmao:

On a serious note, I agree everything else you said!

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. I think the problem arises when people who have never set foot in a ring refer to fighters as bums and cowards. That sort of thing I can understand people having a problem with..

Devon Dog and Wizbit1013 like this.
  9. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor banned Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    I prefer Pudding to reflect one's ability at the top level - plenty of them about in the Heavyweight Division

Wizbit1013 likes this.
  10. Cecil

Cecil Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 22, 2015
    It’s like anything else, it shouldn’t be etched in stone.
    It would be more valid if some of the fighters turned commentators weren’t shite with their opinions.
    Some of them just spout cliched drivel, you wouldn’t have known they’d been in a boxing ring.

11. moog

moog Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 12, 2012
    I think people who haven't boxed are entitled to an opinion. In saying that, like in every other walk of life, it should be constructive and not just trolling. Boxers are typically very brave but there are rare occasions were a boxer does spew it. For example, I have never had an official boxing fight and am not claiming to be hard, but when younger I was in one or two situations that were more physically dangerous/damaging than 99.99999% of boxing fights and I never quit. So in fairness I can relate to it and feel comfortable to give an honest opinion. Anyway opinions are like arseholes we all have one.

Jurgen likes this.
  12. delboy82

delboy82 Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 18, 2014
    Did you grow up in possilpark annol then moog?!?!

moog likes this.
  13. lepinthehood

lepinthehood When I'm drinking you leave me well alone Full Member

Aug 27, 2011
    well i dont listen to adam smith and john rawling anyway.

14. davidjay

davidjay Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion, but you can't really fully understand sport, unless you've done it yourself. Football for example; watch with an ex-pro and you'd think you're at a different game because they see it so much more clearly.

15. moog

moog Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 12, 2012
    No Yoker