Young Tyson vs. Old Tyson on the heavybag.

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by mark ant, Nov 16, 2019.

1. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    I think they mean within reason, lol, theere`s never been a 55 year old world champ.

2. Malph

Malph Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 31, 2007
    "Within reason" is the loaded phrase. Even a small amount of physical decline can make a big difference in a contest between high level opponents.

Just a small loss of "snap" in your punches can mean the difference between landing them and doing damage or not.

Just a small loss of reflexes can mean getting hit by a punch and blocking or evading it. Ask Roy Jones and so many others.

Just a small loss of spring in the legs means the difference between being able to effectively moving to create a better angle and having to except trading from the position you are in.

Little things mean a lot in something as competitive as high level boxing.

3. SquaredCircle

SquaredCircle Active Member Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Guys....looking at that, I think Tyson may be shot!

roughdiamond, eltirado and mark ant like this.
  4. On The Money

On The Money Dangerous Journeyman Full Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Does Benn top that bill?

Mike needs to settle those last two accounts btw. 3 rounders should suffice.

mark ant likes this.
  5. macademics

macademics Active Member Full Member

Jan 2, 2012
    You never loose your boxing technique, you just forget little things here and there.

6. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    I was trying to vindicate them a bit, fans can`t get enough of older fighters coming back for one last stupid fight.

KO KIDD and Malph like this.
  7. pistal47

pistal47 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 14, 2007
    Just in - Team Canelo calling out Iron Mike. Claim its his biggest test to date!

Fight is scheduled 30 years from this day, and Tyson has to enter the ring as a paraplegic andnhydrate between rounds through a straw while breathing through a tube under the terms of the contract.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  8. pistal47

pistal47 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 14, 2007
    Anyone who wants an idea of how to punch should watch Tyson training and fighting. Hes so quick and fleet-footed yet gets every ounce of his weight behind and under his hooks and uppercut. Devastating and pure perfection.

roughdiamond, bandeedo and mark ant like this.
  9. bbjc

bbjc Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 25, 2012
    I tell you what there was a genuine reason most guys looked frightened for their lifes going in against tyson. Looks absolutely leathal on that heavybag in his prime.

I still say he blew it big time....it turned out okay for him in the end...as hes still revered to this day by most of the boxing community. But i still say holyfield, lewis etc wouldnt have been able to stand up to a properly dedicated tyson. Its just that his dedication went out the window pretty early into his career. Its all would have could haves tho.

Stonehands and mark ant like this.
  10. Oddone

Oddone Bermane Stiverne's life coach. Full Member

Aug 18, 2019
    I lol’d.

SquaredCircle likes this.
  11. Oddone

Oddone Bermane Stiverne's life coach. Full Member

Aug 18, 2019
    I know most people don’t rank Tyson near the top ten, however, if you took everyone’s top ten or top twenty greatest heavyweights of all time and asked them

“Would you rather face a prime Tyson or one of the boxers from your list”

They would ALL rather face literally anyone else than a prime Mike. That means all the fighters they believe are/were better than Tyson they would rather fight. To me that speaks volumes of how scary his prime truly was. Now at this age, Mike is just a guy who can knock you out.

12. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    There`s is no way any heavyweight could have beaten a prime Mike easily, he was a very good fighter.

13. Limerickbox

Limerickbox Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 18, 2015
    Not only is he 55, but he says he doesnt train "at all" anymore. Not even to stay in shape.

Said it on the Joe Rogan podcast.

14. bandeedo

bandeedo VIP Member Full Member

Feb 19, 2007
    i posted this on another thread. this guy is fighting for whats perhaps the most prestigious title in combat sports, tysons belt.
    now compare him to prime tyson and realize the levels we are talking about. prime tyson puts this dude away first round.
    This content is protected

This content is protected

15. UniversalPart

UniversalPart Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jul 1, 2010
    It vexes me that people sh*t on Tyson's resume but have no problem putting Vitali or Wladimir in their Top 10 ATG's lists based on THEIR resumes. ... :lol:

Boon likes this.