Your boxing style

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by masterold, Sep 23, 2009.

1. masterold

masterold Active Member Full Member

May 8, 2009
    I have been boxing since Jan, only spared a few times though. A couple of questions for you guys that been boxing a long time:

Is your boxing style something you put thought into and came up with yourself or did it just happen naturally? Or did your coach notice your attributes and tell you to be a counter puncher/ stick and mover/ pressuring body puncher etc.

Thanks,

2. anderslundgaard

anderslundgaard Member Full Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Depends on what feels natural to you, but generally:

If you're short it makes sense to develop a counterpunching style to get under your opponents longer arms.

Conversely, if you're tall it makes sense to develop a fast strong jab to keep your shorter opponents at bay.

3. Aplin

Aplin Nak Muay Full Member

Oct 6, 2008
    In Muaythai it tends to be based on gyms... the trainer teaches a 'style' I would guess most boxing gyms are the same? (i.e. a teacher who says use the jab and stay outside)

But obviously if a fighter has attributes other than that the trainer teaches (maybe an amazing right hand), the trainer should decide upon a means to encorporate that into his style and teach this encorporation to the boxer.

4. mryeags

mryeags Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 20, 2008

Correct ... im 5'11 but fought taller guys due to my weight class ... i found working on the inside frustrated alot of taller guys as i was quick and powefull and worked the body alot ... fighting guys my height came more naturally as i could box at range and show my skills ... but as they say doesnt matter how u do it cos all that matters is the win ! .... you have a natural style but you have to adapt to the boxers you face !

5. masterold

May 8, 2009
    thanks for the replies guys, all very informative so far.

6. Power

Power Active Member Full Member

Nov 2, 2005
    i just listened to what people say and then mould it into my own and choose the bits that suit me the best.

for example, when some jabs at you, you have about 10 options that can be put into 3 area's. block, move, slip and you choose the ones that work best for you

7. RightHooker

RightHooker Active Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2009
    My first coach taught me the basics, then put me in sparring and left me mostly alone to see what came naturally which was being aggressive and attacking the body. Then he started to develop that.

Too many coaches try to make everyone the same. Usually they try to make all their boxers into clones of themselves since that's what they know best. Just a sign of inexperience. Good coaches build on whatever style and skillset comes naturally to their boxers.

8. GNARL

GNARL Member Full Member

Nov 26, 2007
    A "good" coach will develop every fighter differently and will have understanding of all styles of fighting. Different personalities dictate different styles of fighting. A introvert will usually prefer to defend and tire and frustrate their opponent before committing to their attacks. They may also prefer counter-attacking. An extrovert will usually be very aggresive and will prefer to attack and will be unfased with unsuccessful attacks. Some fighters are mixtures. Read Czaikowski's book about understanding archetypes of fencers and how they should pick their tactics. Applies well to boxing. Book is called "Understanding Fencing" I believe.

9. RDJ

RDJ Boxing Junkie banned

Sep 27, 2005
    I looked at many boxers, in the gym and on tape, and tried to do many things from many styles. The things that worked for me in sparring stuck. I ended up being a technical boxer who does not like to brawl, but does not mind a technical inside fight.

10. masterold

May 8, 2009
    Thanks again for the replies guys.

11. taj-09

taj-09 Guest

you sound very experienced. How many fights have you had?

Inside fighting is a art. Have you got any videos of you infighting. That is a area i need to work on. :good

12. RDJ

RDJ Boxing Junkie banned

Sep 27, 2005
    I'm not very experienced at all, I only had one fight. Next one in about 2.5 weeks. With technical boxer I meant my style, I wasn't suggesting that it's at a high level :D

In sparring I don't find infighting that hard, it just takes a specific set of skills just like fighting from the outside. Being on the ropes is something I don't mind either, I find it easier to counter if I can use the ropes to lean back. Important in infighting is that you keep all punches compact.

13. taj-09

taj-09 Guest

when in fighting do you think its better to have lots of movement and create opening or to plant your feet and take shots and wait for opening or create them with lighter punches then smash him on the opening.
    Im still amateur and i find inside fighting doesnt score that well so thats why i havnt really worked on it. I find straight punches score so thats my style.

14. brown bomber

brown bomber 2010 Poster of the Year Full Member

Jul 1, 2006
    I'm more Leonard then Duran.... but unfortuantely more butterbean then Tyson if you get me .

15. taj-09

taj-09 Guest

is this meant to be criptic

so your more a boxer then a fighter

and..

your over weight??? :lol: