Your favorite book about boxing

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by From.Russia, Jun 4, 2021.

1. 70sFan

70sFan Member Full Member

Oct 29, 2013
    Me too! I was 10 or 11 and my grandfather worked at a library and used to take it out for me. I did not remember the title or author but remembered the book having the Heavyweight Champion's records on the inside cover. I found out the author and title a couple years ago and tracked down a copy. I must have read that book a dozen times when I was a kid.

louis54 likes this.
  2. 70sFan

70sFan Member Full Member

Oct 29, 2013
    I agree with you.

3. Clinton

Clinton Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 22, 2009
    The Manly Art by Eliot Gorn. A history of bareknuckle boxing which I knew practically nothing about until I read it.

4. Clinton

Clinton Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 22, 2009
    Superb thread and superb contris by all of you. Well done Lads.

From.Russia likes this.
  5. thistle

thistle Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 21, 2016
    How do you do that on this site???

Post pictures, reports, cuttings, actual documentation, all those sort of things...

6. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    You can't, sadly. You can't post pictures here. Because I help administrate the forum, I can post pictures because I have higher clearance, but a member can't do it.

It is a real shame because we used to have a lot of fun with pictures here back in the day.

ipswich express and thistle like this.
  7. thistle

Dec 21, 2016
    Yes, I remember,

it's just apart from the wonderful information such things offer and prove, I'd say that I personally, perhaps more than anybody of late, have a few (thousand) Documents, Ratings and Reports, for the purpose of absolute refute & clarity once & for all, that need to be shoved down a few throats.

But yes, Image based threads settle arguments and also prove the integrity of the people that have researched them and stated them, irrespective of the trouble makers, who wanted people to think there is no such evidence or documentation.

CHEERS.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
  8. From.Russia

From.Russia Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 15, 2013
    Wow, "Four Kings – George Kimball" thats a book i would like to read! Sadly i cant find it in russian or german, english is my third language.

You read so many books, so you cant probably remember, but i still gonna ask. In four kings was enough info about their early life or just their career and relationship between each other?

9. salsanchezfan

salsanchezfan Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 22, 2004
    I really liked:

Four Kings- George Kimball
    Cinderella Man- Jeremy Schapp
    Smokestack Lightning- Springs Toledo

10. KasimirKid

KasimirKid Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 1, 2018
    Sometimes you can do a Google search and find the photo or article online and then post a link on the thread in which you are contributing. I guess this is obvious, but just saying. It's worked for me on several occasions.

thistle likes this.
  11. KasimirKid

KasimirKid Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 1, 2018
    Thanks for the boost, Greynotso! Right now, Amazon is offering Volume One of the Hurley trilogy for $34.36, which is $5.59 off the regular price. As most of you who have dealt with Amazon know, the price can revert back to full list on a moment's notice, however.

greynotsoold likes this.
  12. salsanchezfan

salsanchezfan Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 22, 2004
    A lot of stuff about the bulk of their championship time at the top. Some amazing anecdotes about Hagler's experience in England while winning the title from Minter, for example.

From.Russia likes this.
  13. Makingweight

Makingweight Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 7, 2011
    A lot of my favourite books have been already called well done all :thumbsup:

I love the bare knuckle era of a couple of centuries ago Richmond Unchained is the best book I have read on the era Bill Richmond being a black contender his protege also Tom Molineaux fighting Tom Cribb, my favourite historical boxer he took on all comers, no colour bar. Lots of historical mentions of all the main pugilists of the era.

Loved Dark Trade by Donald McRae when it came out had a long haul flight from the UK decades ago and not being a great flyer it was a great way to pass the hours.

AwardedSteak863 likes this.
  14. AwardedSteak863

AwardedSteak863 Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 16, 2018
    My favorite is the one in my avatar. Night Train by Nick Toches is hands down my favorite boxing book. I have always found Liston to be a fascinating person but throw in a great biographer like Toches and you have an instant classic.

15. thistle

Dec 21, 2016
    example -
    This content is protected