Your Favorite Boxing Movies

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by CharlieFirpo85, Sep 11, 2021.

Your Favorite Boxing Movie: (You have 5 choices. Feel free to use 1-5 if you want)

1. Rocky 1

23 vote(s)
    56.1%
  2. Rocky 2

6 vote(s)
    14.6%
  3. Rocky 3

10 vote(s)
    24.4%
  4. Rocky 4

7 vote(s)
    17.1%
  5. Rocky 5

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  6. Rocky Balboa

5 vote(s)
    12.2%
  7. Raging Bull (1980)

15 vote(s)
    36.6%
  8. The Hurricane (1999)

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  9. Cinderella Man (2005)

10 vote(s)
    24.4%
  10. The Fighter (2010)

7 vote(s)
    17.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. mark ant

mark ant Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Laing a hero? He was completely one dimentional, rude to Creed and shoved Mickey out the way who then had a heart attack.

2. mark ant

mark ant Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Paul Newman went to Graziano`s gym to study him because he was going to play him and he always noticed a handsome young man in the gym doing the same thing and wondered why he was always studying Graziano, it turned out to be Marlon Brando who based his on the waterfront character on Graziano.

3. janitor

janitor Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    But at the same time he was in the right.

He was the #1 contender, and Rocky was avoiding him.

He was only asking for what he was rightfully owed.

In that sense it is morally complex.

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  4. META5

META5 Active Member Full Member

Jun 28, 2005
    I was always thought of Lang very loosely based on Liston destroying the contenders and waiting for his shot. Man of few words, burly, imposing and angry.

He absolutely had every right to be angry with Rocky and Mickey - they made a mockery of the HW title of the world.

5. Songshadow

Songshadow Dogged & Relentless Full Member

Jun 24, 2019
  6. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    For me it's easily The Boxer starring Daniel Day Lewis.
    Not only a great story line dealing with the height of the IRA but Lewis was also trained by Barry McGuigan for a yr or more. The fight scenes are more realistic than any other boxing movie I've seen. McGuigan was even quoted as saying Lewis was good enough to get some pro fights. Great film.

ron davis and Tin_Ribs like this.
  7. Sangria

Sangria You bleed like Mylee Full Member

Nov 13, 2010
    You had everything in Rocky III.

You had Rocky Balboa as champion, Hulk Hogan, Mr. T, Mick dying, Apollo becoming the trainer, Eye of the Tiger, Rocky receiving his statue in Philly, a few montages, Rocky beating Apollo in a sprint on the beach (possibly the greatest montage in movie history) and an incredible sequel that bridged the earlier films to the latter ones. A film that put it all together seamlessly and became the guts of the franchise.

Rocky III - the best there is, the best there was and the best there ever will be!

8. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    I like Rocky 3. The whole Rocky theory is rather ridiculous how he is picked in a book and he gives him a challenge, and then has 10 title defenses, but it made for a great movie..

9. Chuck1052

Chuck1052 Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 22, 2013
    My two favorite boxing films are The Set-Up and Raging Bull.

- Chuck Johnston

Richard M Murrieta and choklab like this.
  10. mr. magoo

mr. magoo Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    It really was an awesome movie and what’s unique is that it surpassed the previous two whereas most movie sagas usually get stupid by about the third installment

11. Tin_Ribs

Tin_Ribs Me Full Member

Jun 28, 2009
    The Boxer is a great shout, Rob. Excellent film if a bit hamfisted from the political aspect. Day-Lewis was as good as De Niro in Raging Bull imo. You're right about McGuigan saying he could have beaten any middleweight outside the top ten in Britain at the time.

Fat City is a cracking film, surprised no-one has mentioned it. I like Requiem For a Heavyweight and The Harder They Fall too.

Raging Bull is the best from the list and I have Rocky and The Fighter about on par, probably leaning towards Rocky for sentimental reasons. I dislike most of the sequels intensely though. Two was sort of necessary and has several good moments, notably when Rocky quietly wakes Creed up in the night at hospital to ask if he gave it his best. He says yeah clearly in extreme pain and Rocky just says oh, ok, thanks and shuffles off. It sort of tickles me. I enjoyed Creed and the sequel didn't blow arse as badly as I thought it might. I agree with janitor, Drago's character arc and partial redemption were satisfying.

Obviously Million Dollar Baby is outstanding, mostly for the unexpected direction of the narrative and the acting.

12. Tin_Ribs

Tin_Ribs Me Full Member

Jun 28, 2009
    On The Waterfront only partially has boxing as it's core, to a point, but it needs no exhortation as an all time great film.

13. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    That’s defo a good boxing film.

Richard M Murrieta and Tin_Ribs like this.
  14. bboyrei

bboyrei New Member Full Member

Aug 23, 2021
    The Rocky series is pretty incredible in terms of being a series without a truly bad entry, yeah there's V but even that has its moments like the Mickey scene and the street fight.

Frazier and Shavers both auditioned for the role of Clubber Lang, that would have been interesting but strange in Frazier's case since he already appeared as himself in the original. Mr. T was in the right in terms of Rocky ducking him plus he had that Eye of the Tiger.

Looking forward to the director's cut of Rocky IV, it has scenes like Drago with more dialogue and Apollo lasting longer in their fight. Stallone said it's releasing in November.

15. Sangria

Sangria You bleed like Mylee Full Member

Nov 13, 2010
    Exactly! The third film in a franchise usually becomes a copy of the original to bring things full circle to end the trilogy or takes the franchise in a poorly different direction, usually out to the pasture to die, with a hack director. Rocky III perfected the storyline and turned out to be the face of the franchise.

Examples of a third film in the series...

-Halloween III changed the entire story with no Michael Myers because John Carpenter and Debra Hill were sick of the The Shape and wanted to move on from the slasher sub-genre. Were they wrong!

-Friday The 13th Part III used the 3D gimmick that worked out great and was supposed to end the franchise. Without the 3D gimmick it was just another slasher lost in the mix of countless imitators.

-The Godfather Part III seemed like a decently made film but felt like a movie made only to end the series.

Do you have any other examples? If you do I'd love to read them!!