Your Favorite Boxing Movies

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by CharlieFirpo85, Sep 11, 2021.

Your Favorite Boxing Movie: (You have 5 choices. Feel free to use 1-5 if you want)

1. Rocky 1

23 vote(s)
    56.1%
  2. Rocky 2

6 vote(s)
    14.6%
  3. Rocky 3

10 vote(s)
    24.4%
  4. Rocky 4

7 vote(s)
    17.1%
  5. Rocky 5

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  6. Rocky Balboa

5 vote(s)
    12.2%
  7. Raging Bull (1980)

15 vote(s)
    36.6%
  8. The Hurricane (1999)

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  9. Cinderella Man (2005)

10 vote(s)
    24.4%
  10. The Fighter (2010)

7 vote(s)
    17.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Saintpat

Saintpat Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Not a great movie, but Diggstown is a very fun boxing flick.

2. mr. magoo

mr. magoo Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Agree on Those examples. Halloween III season of the witch makes my top 5 WORST horror films of all time. Utter garbage. Jaws 3 is another example of a franchise ruining film.

Richard M Murrieta and Sangria like this.
  3. mr. magoo

mr. magoo Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    I liked it.. split decision with Gene Hackman was good too

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  4. ron davis

ron davis Active Member Full Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Champion 1949 Kirk Douglas and Arthur Kennedy

The Informer Victor McLaglen good actor and tough fighter
    He fought Jack Johnson, check out a rare photo of them both
    Under, Victor McLaglen vs. Jack Johnson google

Sangria and Richard M Murrieta like this.
  5. Sangria

Sangria You bleed like Mylee Full Member

Nov 13, 2010
    Yeah dude, Jaws 3 was terrible. They should've taken notes on F13 Part 3. That movie made the 3D gimmick the right way. And just when you thought you couldn't make a worse Jaws movie, Jaws 4 was made and takes the cake on that one!

mr. magoo likes this.
  6. Pugguy

Pugguy Member Full Member

Aug 22, 2021
    Of course there is GENTLEMAN JIM 1942 which starred Errol Flynn. A big hit in his day. For the role, Flynn trained with former boxer come actor Mushy Callahan. Flynn's general athleticism with some experience in boxing helped float the depiction, at least enough to satisfy Hollywood's golden era audiences. Flynn's Hollywood bio claimed that he represented Australia in the 1928 Olympics. LOL. Total fabrication. I also read one latter day review of this film and it claimed that the real James J Corbett acted as an advisor on set. Problem with that claim was that poor old Jim had already passed on some 11 years prior. I can't confirm this but I also seem to recall reading, true or not, that they used Billy Conn for up close filming of footwork. At the very least Billy was most certainly still alive and kicking as at 1942. LOL.

Honorary mention should also go to an even older film THE PRIZEFIGHTER AND THE LADY 1933 starring Max Baer, Myrna Loy, Jack Dempsey and Primo Carnera with cameo appearances by the likes of Jess Willard, James J Jeffries, Bill Papke, Frank Moran etc. Really not a bad film in the context of the times but for hard core fans it's an absolute treat to see a number of boxing's past luminaries appearing nice and clear on screen. The whole film is in fact available on YouTube and the print is excellent, particularly for a movie that's getting on for 90 years old.

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  7. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    Gentleman Jim was a classic, I love that movie, Ward Bond as the Great John L. and Errol Flynn as Gentleman Jim.