Your Favorite Non-Heavyweight

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by cross_trainer, Jul 12, 2007.

1. ironchamp

ironchamp Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 5, 2004
    Tito Trinidad
    Roberto Duran
    Roy Jones Jr.
    Prince Naz
    Pacman

2. SgrRyLeonard

SgrRyLeonard Active Member Full Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Sugar Ray Leonard, Marvelous Marvin Hagler, Thomas Hearns, Oscar DeLahoya, Marco Antonio Barerra, Bernard Hopkins, Sugar Shane Mosley, Terry Norris, and the original and greatest Sugar, Sugar Ray Robinson.

3. Irish Steel

Irish Steel Active Member Full Member

Jun 22, 2007
  4. Manassa

Manassa - banned

Apr 6, 2007
    Ike Williams. The only heavyweight in probably my top thirty favourite fighters would be Joe Louis.

5. john garfield

john garfield Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 5, 2004
    Most of the ones, from the '40s on, BD, I saw live and couldn't agree more. I heard so much in the gym about what a tough SOB Mickey Walker was, I felt like I'd seen him.

6. Drew101

Drew101 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    1. Ricardo Lopez
    2. Jung Koo Chang
    3. Hilario Zapata
    4. Eusebio Pedroza
    5. Salvador Sanchez
    6. Saoul Mamby
    7. Tommy Cordova
    8. Arturo Gatti
    9. Bobby Chacon
    10. Cornelius Boza Edwards
    11. Alexis Arguello
    12. Sugar Ray Leonard
    13. Jiro Watanabe
    14. Matthew Saad Muhammad
    15. Marvin Hagler

No particular order

7. john garfield

Aug 5, 2004
    Ike Williams is a favorite of mine, as well, M. The picture of Ike in your avatar hangs on the wall at the Wild Card Gym. It freaks-out some who see one of trainers, Sammy Stewart, who's a dead-ringer for Williams.

8. Manassa

Manassa - banned

Apr 6, 2007
    I rate Williams the #3 lightweight of all time and favour him over Roberto Duran and Henry Armstrong (though losing to the better boxer types such as Benny Leonard and Pernell Whitaker). Do you think this is justifiable, based on what you saw back in ye olden days? If you wouldn't mind, please explain the impression Williams left on you as a youngster - what did you think of him in the ring?

9. john garfield

Aug 5, 2004
    I never get into rating fighters, M; I can only reflect on who were my favorites. At lightweight, Duran and Williams were the gold standard, an incredible amalgam of punching power, speed, skill, ferocity, electricity, and every intangible. Face them and you were in against the perfect storm.

Bob Montgomery is largely overlooked, but he was a helluva fighter.

10. Titan1

Titan1 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 18, 2004
    Michael Spinks
    Marvin Hagler
    Davey Moore
    Donald Curry
    Milton McCrory
    Aaron Pryor
    Ray Leonard
    Thomas Hearns
    Ray Mancini
    Alexis Arguello
    Roberto Duran
    Edwin Rosario
    Hector Camacho
    Jeff Chandler
    Salvador Sanchez

11. Manassa

Manassa - banned

Apr 6, 2007
    I've never seen Montgomery in action - too young to have seen live, and no tapes exist to my knowledge. I've seen his most famous rivals, Beau Jack and Ike Williams, obviously, but not the man himself. We know Williams was top dog in the end, but who do you think achieved more out of Jack and Montgomery? I lean towards Jack. I get the feeling Montgomery was the better fighter at his best; more complete; but that Jack's sheer dedication meant he was a bit more consistent at the top level.

12. bigG

bigG Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 8, 2006
  13. john garfield

Aug 5, 2004
    I'm not sure if I underdstand your question, M. But, if it's who was better between Jack and Montgomery? Montgomery was far better in every department, but Jack could match heart with anyone that's ever fought. His should've campaigned as "The Wolverine."