Your favourite and least favourite British trainers

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by notjustacasual, Nov 19, 2019.

1. ashishwarrior

ashishwarrior VIP Member Full Member

Apr 19, 2010
    My favourite is mccracken

Greaves never seems to get a shout
    Good trainer
    No where near the best but good none the less

2. Shakermaker

Shakermaker Active Member Full Member

Mar 19, 2019
    Jesus that wasn’t the response I was expecting!

3. ashishwarrior

Apr 19, 2010
    Sorry to disappoint you dude

Shakermaker likes this.
  4. delboy82

delboy82 Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 18, 2014
    aye cos im gonna say "British Knights" and my "Clarks" shoes. They were sold in UK thats good enough for me.

Technically the ones I named are prob Vietnamese or Taiwanese

5. ashishwarrior

Apr 19, 2010
    You missed out spx how very dare you

delboy82 likes this.
  6. murphman22

murphman22 Active Member Full Member

Jul 26, 2004
    Booth escapes criticism more than most trainer, so many pro Booth comments and very little with anything negative to say. He's obviously a shrewd businessman and articulate to boot. Its like he is consider a top trainer by default. You can't doubt the job he done with Haye and to a lesser extent Groves and has to take credit for that. But what is his body of work since 2013? Andy Lee, Burnett maybe? There also seems to be a neverending list of fighters who go to his gym and the next thing you know, they are no longer working with him.

One characteristic of the Booth style is lots of lateral movement. I personally hate it - it's not always great of the eye and can lead to very scrappy fights, head clashes etc. It's tiring for the fighter and they can fade down the stretch. The biggest issue is that the style really requires the boxer to have some power (like Haye). When I watch Josh Kelly fight it is utterly frustrating and looks completely in that Booth style. It doesn't work for him either and he's obviously talented. I thought his corner work from afar left alot to be desired in the Ray Robinson fight, one that was definitely winnable. Kelly looked barely threw a jab all night, he was lazy on the ropes and looked out of ideas after 2-3 rounds. or what its worth he definitely landed the better quality punches throughout the fight and I have no doubt he is more talented of the two fighters. But he allowed himself to get outworked. What the hell has Booth been doing with him in the gym and why didn't he give him a rocket in the fight. Just one example but any other trainer would have been mauled after that.

7. porkypara

porkypara Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Tony Borg has trained fighters at all levels but a bit out the way in Wales.

This content is protected

Arnie likes this.
  8. bbjc

bbjc Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 25, 2012
    One thing i like about booth and ingle....is their styles kind of discourages opponents from punching. Kell brook, david haye, george groves, prince naseem....all spent most of their time punching opponents without taking too much coming through. Wasnt till the top level they had to take more....but theres probably not many coaches that can teach how not to at that level anyway.

A lot of the british coaches....even at british level etc....their guys are taking damage from the start. Like quigg, froch, kevin mitchells etc.

Obviously theres a few fights booth and ingles guys had when they had to take damage ...but on the whole they give out a lot more than they take and come out pretty much unscathed a lot of the time.

Only real critism of booth is he kind of needs certain attributes to get great results with it.

9. caligula4

caligula4 Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Surprised nobody has mentioned Paddy 'what round is it again?' Fitzpatrick! It would have been hilarious to see him in AJ's corner when he was asking the same question. That would have made Youtube comedy gold.

10. Always Learning

Always Learning New Member banned Full Member

Nov 21, 2019
    The one I really don't rate at all is Tony Sims. Someone explain to me what he has achieved? and what is good about him as a trainer?