Your favourite boxing book

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Jel, Jun 23, 2022.

1. Clinton

Clinton Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 22, 2009
    The Manly Art by Elliot Gorn because it educated me about a subject I knew practically nothing about.

2. SuzieQ49

SuzieQ49 Officer Full Member

Sep 14, 2005
    The new Marciano book was actually quite good. Showed a much different side of him you really got to know him. You got to see the good and bad of him. It also demonstrates why he retired and also why he is as great as he is. Very well written and researched

Marciano claimed he was done after cockell. He hated that Weill chose him as his opponent, he thought cockell was a joke who couldn’t sell. he couldn’t get up to train hard for him. Got floored in sparring, didn’t feel right physically felt himself aging. Hated Weill after discovering 10 grand was stolen from him by Weill and Norris

Marciano was hanging them up..until Moore called him out. Over and over again. Then Moore beat Valdes and knocked out Olsen. Marciano was on vacation and one of his friends told him “if you retire now there will be a huge hole in your legacy if you don’t fight Moore” because Moore is hands down the most accomplished contender of this era. When Marciano heard that he immediately signed to fight Moore. He trained for Moore with a chip on his shoulder, was highly motivated and put everything into it one last time

Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
    Rumsfeld, Journeyman92 and Saintpat like this.
  3. Journeyman92

Journeyman92 I’m become seeker of milk Full Member

Sep 22, 2021
    I just take it as it is. I hadn't heard all the myths and what not before, so it was all new to me. I just sat pretty and let myself be dragged into the times. He was colourfully written honestly. I enjoyed it, fiction spots or not. It is just what it is for the sake of amusement. If I want encyclopaedia writing, A learning book with diligent study and pure facts. I'll read Pollack.

apollack likes this.
  4. Journeyman92

Journeyman92 I’m become seeker of milk Full Member

Sep 22, 2021
    Thanks for that. Which book friend?

5. SuzieQ49

SuzieQ49 Officer Full Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Ezzard Charles and Jersey Joe Walcott books are a fine read

Saintpat and Pugguy like this.
  6. Rollin

Rollin Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 17, 2021
    No Way but to Fight: George Foreman and the Business of Boxing

The vast sociocultural background detailed in between the story of Big George was captivating.

Pugguy likes this.
  7. Pugguy

Pugguy Ingo, The Thinking Man’s GOAT Full Member

Aug 22, 2021
  8. Stevie G

Stevie G Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 17, 2009
    I love both of those.

9. KasimirKid

KasimirKid Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2022
    greynotsoold likes this.
  10. Toney F*** U

Toney F*** U Boxing junkie Full Member

Oct 16, 2019
  11. djanders

djanders Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 21, 2009
    I've read and liked too many to list here. Many became my favorite for a time after reading.

My Granddaughter just bought this one for me: "No Way But to Fight (George Foreman and the Business of Boxing)." Andrew Smith, 2020. That may become my favorite for a while, if it's a good one.

Saintpat and Pugguy like this.
  12. catchwtboxing

catchwtboxing Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 4, 2014
    Facing Tyson was extremely engaging, and managed to make all of his lesser known opponents the real story.

13. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    An interesting and offbeat choice I can recommend: The Years of the Locust (Murder and Mayhem in the Last Age of Boxing) by Jon Hotten.

It’s the story of journeyman heavyweight Tim “Doc” Anderson and his murder of promoter Rick “Elvis” Parker, full of characters and dark arts — Anderson believes he was poisoned by Parker in his rematch with Mark Gastineau after knocking out Gastineau (Parker’s hoped-for cash cow, a prominent former football player who he was angling for a showdown with ‘old’ George Foreman).

Parker promoted, at various times, Bert Cooper and Foreman early in his comeback days. He was also behind some fixed fights, including those which Sports Illustrated investigated concerning Tex Cobb bouts in his later comeback days.

Hotten has an interesting writing style, a bit flashy, but the facts no background of the characters makes for quite a read.

There’s a bit left unsaid — there’s a lot of drugs involved with Parker and Anderson clearly ran with him and played bodyguard for him, but it’s left unsaid that Tim probably partook in some of that and had a bit of a shady side himself.

Regardless, it’s a fascinating tale.

14. Stevie G

Stevie G Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Not bad but I was a bit put off by Joe's thinly concealed bitterness popping up all the time.

15. thistle

thistle Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Facing Ali...

a Series of such books, would be great, sadly damn near all the opponents of Noted & Great past fighters are all gone, mores the pity.

salsanchezfan and KidGalahad like this.