Your Favourite Hagler Fights Except....

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by KeedCubano, Nov 25, 2020.

1. KeedCubano

KeedCubano Read my posts in a Jamaican accent Full Member

Jul 21, 2019
    The WAR & MUgabi

what are they and why?

i like him vs bennie. he should very good skills and toughness while beating a top contender.

2. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    The Sibson fight.
    Both the Obelmejias fights.
    & Minter.

3. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I've long said that my favourite Hagler fight is the Duran fight. So much skill on display in a beautiful effort from both. Love how Hagler feints his jab, doubles them up and then comes through with the straight left. Duran's level of skill here, especially defensively, is immense. His own lead hand is a joy to watch, as his range manipulation and micromanaging. I also really enjoy the Cyclone Hart fight. Only time I can remember Hagler visibly hurt (which didn't last a third of a second) in a fight. He brawled quite a bit here, and there was good action throughout with both men in trouble at times. Hagler never looked like he losing, but it was a fun fight.

The two mentioned in the OP are very good too. Especially Hearns, obviously.

4. The Morlocks

The Morlocks Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Mustafa in 81. DURAN 83. Vito 79. Seales 79. Cyclone 78. Wigfall 75. Monroe 2 KO 12. The Mexican guy 1980.

5. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Geraldo?

The Morlocks likes this.
  6. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Mintor and Sibson. How good was Hagler in those fights? Well, I'm English so that should tell you how good he was...

7. Fuzzykat

Fuzzykat Member Full Member

Jun 18, 2019
    I liked his performances against Hamsho, Scypion and Sibson. All three were really tough guys that I thought would push Hagler. But they were all severely outclassed. Completely one sided and masterful performances by Hagler.

8. William Walker

William Walker Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 9, 2020
    Cyclone was in 76 actually.

9. William Walker

Apr 9, 2020
    I really like the Hearns fight, but I personally find it a bit overrated because of its repetition, but don't get me wrong it's still one of the greatest of all time. My favorite fights of Hagler's were Cyclone Hart, Vito Antuofermo I, Roberto Duran, SRL, and Roldan was another good brawl. My favorite performances of Hagler's were against Hart, Briscoe, Minter, Sibson, Duran, and of course Hearns. Hagler was a great puncher obviously, but my favorite performances of Hagler's were when he displayed his great boxing skills, esp. switch hitting, his underrated footwork, and handspeed, although I have always enjoyed a good Hagler brawl.

Gatekeeper and George Crowcroft like this.
  10. William Walker

Apr 9, 2020
    i'm glad u mentioned the Hart fight; it's probably the most overlooked of all Hagler's fights, it was a thrilling fight and Hagler was so fast; it should be mentioned more

George Crowcroft likes this.
  11. salsanchezfan

salsanchezfan Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 22, 2004
    The first Hamsho fight he was really sharp; Hamsho was a very solid fighter, easily the second-best middle at the time and had a penchant for dragging opponents down with him, you had to mix with him to keep him off you. But then again you couldn't hurt him either so either way you were %$#@'ed.

Hagler showed he was a full level above that in their first bout, catching the onrushing challenger with a wide variety of shots; piercing right jabs, short and long right hooks, uppercuts galore, everything. Hamsho bled and bled and bled and bled, taking 55 stitches to the face afterward and refused to wilt, trying so hard to get Hagler to engage in the trenches where he could rough him up easier.

No dice; Hagler never ran, he just spun him and kept punching. The fight is largely considered to have been halted due to cuts, but look at Hamsho's legs at the end as the referee steps in. He's done, his pins are giving way nad he's staggering backward. He'd have gone down in another round, if not that very round anyway, but it's still as complete and comprehensive a victory as one could imagine. Nearly flawless.

Gatekeeper and HolDat like this.
  12. The Morlocks

Nov 21, 2009
    Yes.

William Walker likes this.
  13. The Morlocks

Nov 21, 2009
    Hagler was NOT a great puncher. He WAS a great boxer who outclassed and overwhelmed his opponent.

14. The Morlocks

Nov 21, 2009
    This content is protected

15. The Morlocks

Nov 21, 2009
    This content is protected