Your favourite heavyweight of all time?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Robbi, Jul 9, 2007.

1. Robbi

Robbi Marvelous Full Member

Jul 23, 2004
    This question is not just based on your favourite heavyweight of all time inside the ring, but also combine it with the fighters life outside the squared circle, only if you wish.

How influential were they socially, and to their generation?.

Do you have one particular heavyweight you just admire so much inside the ring that you continually watch them on video and DVD?.

Do you have a certain heavyweight you admire so much you just can't stop reading about his life from various books?.

Note: Don't vote who was the greatest. Please express your opinion on who was the greatest when posting about your own personal favourite. Although you may well come to the conclusion the greatest heavyweight of all time, may well be your own personal favourite as well.

Example 1: You may well vote for Evander Holyfield, who doesn't have the historical background like Jack Johnson, but you grew up watching his fights with Bowe and Tyson.

Example 2: James J Braddock, journeyman to heavyweight champion. Possibily the movie "Cinderella man" may well have drawn you to Braddock like a magnet.

Example 3: Muhammad Ali may well be the greatest heavyweight without question in your eyes, but Mike Tyson went about his business with more distinction and excitement than "The Greatest".

If your choice is not on the poll, please select "other" and let us all hear your views.

2. chrisroxthem

chrisroxthem Member Full Member

Jun 28, 2007
    i do really like james j braddock based off the movie cinderella man. but i think my favorite heavyweight of all time will probably end up being larry holmes or rocky marciano. both tough sonsofbitches and amazing fighters.

GlaukosTheHammer likes this.
  3. thunder06

thunder06 Active Member Full Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Rocky Marciano because he feared no one and there wasn't anything particularly special about him. A regular guy with no outstanding physical qualities, he just trained his ass off and fought as hard as he could till the end. He also knew when to hang 'em up and made plenty of money in retirement.

4. salsanchezfan

salsanchezfan Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Joe Louis; he faced a lot in and out of the ring, and in both showed uncommon dignity and grace under fire.

5. Little_Mac

Little_Mac Active Member Full Member

May 18, 2007
    Dempsey- no other heavyweight did more to thrust boxing into mainstream media IMO.

mcvey and GlaukosTheHammer like this.
  6. Marnoff

Marnoff Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 14, 2006
    Nice list.

I like Mike Tyson, Jack Dempsey, and Rocky Marciano.

7. BOGART

BOGART Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    I'll list mine chronologically because I don't know if I have one definite favorites.

Jack Dempsey- There's definitly a feeling of romanticism with the era and Dempsey is large part of it

Joe Louis- Offensive perfection and a fine human as well

Muhammad Ali- Charisma, legend, and the best heavyweight ever

Larry Holmes-One of the big names when I started really following boxing. Every one else I knew disliked him so I guess I enjoyed being different at the time

Lennox Lewis- As time goes on I appreciate him more and more

I find it hard to really like or dislike any fighter so I dont have many favorites, I just enjoy good matches. But those few are the ones that would probably be above the usual heavyweight for me.

8. C. M. Clay II

C. M. Clay II Manassah's finest! Full Member

Sep 23, 2006
    Muhammad Ali - he was fearless both in and out of the ring. He also set the prototype for the modern super-heavyweight, big, fast, and sharp!:good

9. Lacyace

Lacyace Forever Knight Full Member

Nov 6, 2005
    Larry Holmes - In his prime, he was the best all-around heavyweight boxer in history.

10. Jupiter1610

Jupiter1610 New Member Full Member

Sep 10, 2005
    Smokin' Joe Frazier- had heart in gobs inside the ring, pressed on against every opponent he faced.

11. Lostmykeys

Lostmykeys Active Member Full Member

May 11, 2007
    George Foreman

- Nigh unbeatable head to head

-2nd career cemented it.

12. Senya13

Senya13 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 11, 2005
    Jim Jeffries
    Sonny Liston
    Mike Tyson

13. My dinner with Conteh

My dinner with Conteh Tending Bepi Ros' grave again Full Member

Dec 18, 2004
    My Top 5 (alphabetical):

Ali
    Foreman
    Holyfield
    Johnson
    Lewis

14. Jack Dempsey

Jack Dempsey Legend Full Member

Jun 13, 2005
  15. My dinner with Conteh

My dinner with Conteh Tending Bepi Ros' grave again Full Member

Dec 18, 2004

Not unbeatable though, maybe unbeatable in a punch up but he could be outwitted.

GordonGarner65 likes this.