Your favourite journeymen

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by fists of fury, Apr 16, 2021.

1. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    The ultimate British journeyman!

Turnip mk3 likes this.
  2. Jel

Oct 20, 2017
    I think by his own admission, Lopez was Kostya's toughest pre-title opponent.

ETM likes this.
  3. Jel

Oct 20, 2017
    That's the essence of a great journeyman. Not everyone can be a world champion but being able to give the touted talent a real work out and still lose is what journeymen do. I remember reading an article with Peter Buckley where he talked about this and what his role was. He said there were some of those A-side guys he knew he could beat if he went all out but that wasn't what he was being paid for.

fists of fury and scartissue like this.
  4. Stevie G

Stevie G Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Maurice Blocker was pretty useful. He certainly gave Lloyd Honeyghan a bit of a scare.

5. Young Terror

Young Terror ★ Griselda ★ Full Member

May 9, 2012
  6. joebeadg

joebeadg Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 3, 2005
    Walter santamore, JJ cotrell

7. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    A Few more that need to be mentioned are Ralph (Tiger) Jones, Tommy Tibbs, Teddy (Red Top) Davis and Eddie (Red Top) Owens. None of them have exceptionally pretty records as they fought the best out there and gave their best. But every so often each of them would take out the favorite who got complacent or didn't train especially hard because of who may have been in front of them. Bad mistake.

fists of fury likes this.
  8. fists of fury

fists of fury Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 25, 2006
    Did Blocker become a journeyman? I lost interest in his career after Simon Brown best him.

Turnip mk3 likes this.
  9. fists of fury

fists of fury Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 25, 2006
    I remember Buck Smith in particular.

Turnip mk3 and Saintpat like this.
  10. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Bye for now! banned Full Member

Oct 12, 2020
    If only Hector was managed better- He showed real potential.

11. Turnip mk3

Turnip mk3 Active Member Full Member

Feb 6, 2021
    Buck Smith he was a great journey man. James Quick Tillis tough guy to beat. Joe Baski very dangerous.

Reinhardt, fists of fury and Saintpat like this.
  12. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    He was sort of in that gang life as much as boxing. Hector had been a silver medalist in the 84 games at a lighter weight. Went to prison for assault and lost about 4 years which is alot for an athlete.
    I don't know if a different manager was all that it would take but a different focus from the fighter himself. Put that life down.
    I saw him Northern Cal knock a guy out. He grabbed the arena Mic. And said "thats how we do it in the south!" He was talking to the Northern Mexicans in a taunt. That was where his head was. He could fight.

Kamikaze and fists of fury like this.
  13. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Yes, the fallback of ‘blame the manager’ is easy and lazy if you don’t know anything.

Certain people are unmanageable.

You can say ‘well if Ike Ibeabuchi had been managed better he never would have ended up in prison,’ but I don’t think that’s true. Nobody could manage that guy because he was literally mental.

This is a guy who before one of his fights told his manager (or maybe promoter) he couldn’t fight because the spirits were coming into his hotel room through the vents. The guy went over to the thermostat control and turned the air conditioning off and said, ‘See, it’s fixed, they can’t get in anymore.’ And Ike was fine after that. How the hell do you manage someone who isn’t all there?

Hector was a gang-banger and nobody was going to coach that out of him or plot a career course that was going to change that facet of who he was. If jail didn’t convince him to change, no manager was going to do that.

It’s like saying ‘If Tyson had stuck with Kevin Rooney ...’ but there’s a reason Tyson didn’t stick with Kevin Rooney or submit himself to any other trainer. He didn’t want to be trained. He didn’t want to live right and work hard. He would fire Rooney or any other trainer who didn’t do what Mike wanted to do. He had walked through the opposition and convinced himself that he didn’t have to follow the rules to keep winning, and after he lost he didn’t care enough to say ‘OK, I guess I do have to train like every other fighter if I want to win’ and wanted to do his own thing to run his own show.