Your first boxing match?

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by paloalto00, Apr 14, 2009.

1. paloalto00

paloalto00 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Well I may have my first fight coming up on May 2nd. But I'm nervous as hell, is that normal? I've been going to the gym 6 days a week, but feel that the other guy is probably doing more. Anyone have tips for me?

2. amy

amy If you know what I mean Full Member

May 23, 2006
    He's just as nervous. It's normal. Just get that first one out of the way. We could give you all the tips and advice in the world but 9 times out of 10 it will all fly out the window as soon as the bell rings.

One thing that I've found that helps the new guys in the gym is to have them spar with someone fairly experienced but have them imitate someone who is a newbie and just rush you and flail for two minutes. At least you'll know what's that's like because that's probably what will happen.

3. stormy

stormy Live and Learn Full Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Nerves are normal and actually stimulates the Adrenal gland to release copius amounts of Adrenalin come fight night.

My only advice really is to be first to the punch!, remember to keep him on the end of a good jab. Oh and last but not least....dont forget to breath during the round.:hey

Best of luck and have a great fight.:bbb

4. turpinr

turpinr Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 6, 2009
    is it his first fight too ??

5. GPater11093

GPater11093 Barry Full Member

Nov 10, 2008
    my first boxing match i was pretty confident but i took an ass whoopin in terms of punishment but i threw tippy tappy punches but landed all of them

6 days later i had a rematch where i fought real good and probably won but i never got the desicion

6. curly

curly Fastest hands in the West Full Member

Nov 29, 2008
    As soon as that bell sounds, most of your nerves should go.

I know it's a bit weird saying this but if your too nervous before the fight, you may tire yourself out. Find a quite place before your fights and gather your thoughts, works for me anyway.

7. RDJ

RDJ Boxing Junkie banned

Sep 27, 2005
    Ah yes, my first match, those were the days. I remember it as if it was last week.

:D

Seriously, do not let him intimidate you, or think less of yourself for any reason. Have faith in your abilities and **** him up royally. In the weeks before my fight I often trained two times a day, sometimes more than 4 hours, and still thought he was doing more.

8. HairyHighlander

HairyHighlander BASS !! HOWLOWCANUGO ?? Full Member

Nov 4, 2007
    As Amy said most advice will fly out the window and nerves are normal too.

Ask yourself this...............Are you training hard six times a week to take part or to win ?

I think you know this answer :good

Walk out there proud and you will walk back proud,the training will take care of the middle part :bbb

9. paloalto00

Mar 15, 2009
    I stay in the gym til he kicks me out :D

10. COULDHAVEBEEN

COULDHAVEBEEN Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 10, 2007
    There's some good responses above.

In all sports it's important to try and stay relaxed (as best you can) before the match. You can't score a point til the bout starts, so don't play it out again and again in your mind or you just won't be able to sleep & relax in the lead-up.

11. twoohands

twoohands Active Member Full Member

Aug 18, 2008
    I find that playing out what im going to do in my mind works for me. I picture myself jabbing real fast and hard and bouncing around all light. I picture myself smashing my opponents face. Then i go out and do it.

12. COULDHAVEBEEN

COULDHAVEBEEN Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 10, 2007
    That kind of visualisation stuff is good and useful. So long as you are not doing it on the hour, every hour, including when you are trying to sleep.

13. markedwardscott

markedwardscott Active Member Full Member

Apr 6, 2007
    Remember to jab a lot. It's easy to do and it's one thing that will look good to the judges.

14. GPater11093

GPater11093 Barry Full Member

Nov 10, 2008
    well, jabs dont score points in the Ams but use it as it sets up punches and as long as you show your a good boxer it dosent matter the score. Nowadays the scoring is terrible i just go on who the crowd thinks won

15. paloalto00

Mar 15, 2009
    Same I never judge an amateur by their record. A lot of the scoring is bs