Your opinions on John Ruiz

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by steve1990, Jul 9, 2021.

1. ikrasevic

ikrasevic For the honorable cross and the golden freedom Full Member

Nov 3, 2021
    He shouldn't have been world champion or belt holder at all. Someone who gets knocked out by Tua (kudos to David) in 19 seconds who has never been world champion ie. the belt holder does not deserve it.

2. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016
    Towards the bottom of all heavyweight champs ranked

ikrasevic likes this.
  3. KernowWarrior

KernowWarrior Bob Fitzsimmons much bigger brother. Full Member

Jul 12, 2012
    Took the opportunity presented to him, got the belt, now whether that through luck, controversy or whatever, he became the champ so fair play to the guy.

I think we can safely say though he was not a ATG.

4. Clinton

Clinton Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 22, 2009
    Never liked him. Boring, dirty fighter that got away with all sorts of nonsense.

steve1990 likes this.
  5. Clinton

Clinton Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 22, 2009
    Yup

6. Boxed Ears

Boxed Ears this my daddy's account (RIP daddy) Full Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Having average skills for a name fighter or a championship fighter, maybe. If you're familiar with the spectrum of fighters, he's way the hell above average, whether you like him or not. I just don't think typical forummites get how different the levels are between someone who is, say, a good local gym fighter and someone you're watching multiple times on television contesting world titles. I mean, guys on here will watch someone like the much more fan-friendly Gatti and think he's not an educated, skilled, groomed to be a boxer since childhood, special operator because they see him against generational talents and other teeny tiny short list names and they just don't get it. They think he's pulling everything out of his heart's rectum to get wins, and it's like, uh, no. The see Ruiz and it's like oh he just had King and heart. If you sit and watch him matching wits with Holyfield, there's only so much King can do in getting him there, but it's skills keeping him from getting run over in those matches. Ruiz really knew what he was doing. This was a savvy athlete. No, he wasn't any great fighter, but just transplant him in any era, he's going to be a potentially bad night for a lot of great fighters. And yes I really do believe that. He could've potentially produced difficult and aggravating affairs for a prime Holmes, Ali, Frazier, etc.

Yet you never once paid respect in my Peter North tribute thread.

northpaw, Bigcheese and Greg Price99 like this.
  7. Jon1962

Jon1962 Member Full Member

Jan 26, 2017
    The fact that nobody wanted to see him fight Lennox Lewis despite being a title holder shows how little the boxing public cared for him.

Clinton likes this.
  8. Blofeld

Blofeld Active Member Full Member

Sep 27, 2022
    Seamus is this forum's joker :D

9. Rollin

Rollin Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 17, 2021
    Dirty, boring strap holder.

10. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Two words: untapped potential.

His true ceiling was so much higher than what he acheived.

11. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    While I agree with most of the criticisms of him, he was unequivocally world class.

Mastrangelo likes this.
  12. guncho

guncho next champion! Full Member

Oct 15, 2007
    He was very unwatchable, but he really was real life rocky balboa that achieved so much more that he should. If he had more power i believe he would be great fighter. He was very smart and used what he had to win at any cost. Andre Ward did same to extent when he had to.

Lets say it like this if Mike Tyson had Ruizs mindset he would have been nr. 1 HW of all timeā€¦

Mastrangelo likes this.