Your thoughts on the Victor Galindez vs Eddie Mustafa Muhammad title bout.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Richard M Murrieta, Feb 23, 2021.

1. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    Your thoughts on the Victor Galindez vs Eddie Mustafa Muhammad title bout. These two fought on Nov 20 1977 in Turin, Italy. It was marred by Victor's complaints to the referee of head butts by Eddie. Who do you think really won?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    Dynamicpuncher, Clinton and Jel like this.
  2. William Walker

William Walker Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 9, 2020
    Great fight but one thing that always pissed me off about the video is that you see Mustafa right before and right after he goes down, but never when. Damn.

Clinton and Richard M Murrieta like this.
  3. Richard M Murrieta

Jul 16, 2019
    In round 5, Victor nails Eddie with a left hook that puts him on the seat of his trunks, check it out on You Tube. Muhammad was a last minute substitute for Mike Rossman, who would eventually beat Galindez the following year.

Fergy and Clinton like this.
  4. Cobra33

Cobra33 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 2, 2006
    You know Victor was quite cagey in addition to being a rugged fighter.

5. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Eddie said in an interview a few years later that he "wasn't ready for Victor Galindez"...and he really wasn't, to tell you the truth. I think VG out hustled Eddie...it was that beautiful counter in round 5, plus Victor's (at that time) superior ring IQ over that oh so familiar (to Galindez)15 round distance...it was one of Victor's better performances, despite how close it was. As another Cobra said, "Victor was quite cagey"...

6. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    I thought it was tricky to score as neither fighter did a lot in many rounds. Here's my analysis:

Victor Galindez v Eddie Gregory/Mustafa Muhammad

My very own 'monument to indecision' - I scored 5 rounds of a 15 round fight even, albeit one of those rounds was a Gregory/Mustafa round but there was a nonsense point deduction from the ref.

This was nip and tuck all the way with two crafty and defensively slick fighters gaining little edges in there but most of the time shots were slipped and clean hitting was sporadic. I could probably watch this again and score a bit differently.

Galindez was a smooth operator but Gregory/Mustafa was almost relaxed to a fault. While I don't believe that a fighter has to win clearly to take another guy's title, I do feel Eddie was too patient in there, waiting to counter and not really taking the initiative as much as he should have - Galindez can already play that countering game well so it was a real cat and mouse affair.

Not confident in my final tally but feel Galindez did enough here to retain his title.

1 10-9
    2 9-10
    3 10-9
    4 10-10
    5 10-8 (flash KD)
    6 10-9
    7 10-10 (not a lot landed from either of them - super slick defense from both fighters)
    8 10-9
    9 9-10
    10 9-10
    1110-10 (tough fight to score)
    12 9-10
    13 9-9 (point taken from Mustafa?! For what?)
    14 10-10 (this is hard to score)
    15 10-9 (Gregory/Mustafa threw more but Galindez slipped most of them and took it with some deft countering)

Galindez 145-143 Gregory/Mustafa Muhammad

7. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Very close fight. This fight was Eddie's to win IMO but he didn't show enough fire at crucial stages. Agree he was not quite ready.

8. Richard M Murrieta

Jul 16, 2019
    Great post.

George Crowcroft, Jel and Clinton like this.
  9. Clinton

Clinton Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 22, 2009
    Superb thread and all superb responses. Cheers Lads

Fergy, Loudon, Jel and 1 other person like this.
  10. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I had Galindez 8-7 + KD. It's a not the worst fight I've ever seen, and it was at a very high level - but I won't be rewatching it.

Liston73 and Richard M Murrieta like this.
  11. Richard M Murrieta

Jul 16, 2019
    I saw that fight live on the CBS Sports Spectacular from Turin, Italy. I thought that Eddie Mustafa Muhammad in the later rounds lost that fight to Victor Galindez. There was some low blows landed on Eddie, but then he retaliated with one of his own, the referee took a point away. Later in an interview Eddie discussed that incident. It made him a better fighter, experience.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    Liston73 likes this.
  12. Dynamicpuncher

Dynamicpuncher Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 14, 2022
    Just bumping this thread after just watching this fight.

Victor Galindez vs Eddie Mustafa Muhammad

1 Muhammad
    2 Muhammad
    3 Galindez
    4 Even
    5 Galindez 10-8 knockdown
    6 Muhammad
    7 Muhammad
    8 Muhammad
    9 Galindez
    10 Muhammad
    11 Even
    12 Muhammad
    13 Galindez 10-7 2 point deductions stupid decision by the referee no need for it
    14 Muhammad
    15 Galindez

142-142 Draw

I felt Muhammad was hard done by in this fight, yes it was a close tactical fight. With both men showing alot of good defence, neither man threw alot of punches, but atleast Muhammad was consistently working behind his jab and landed a few eye catching right hands, also what in the world was those 2 point deductions in 13th round ? Muhammad got hit with a low blow and retaliated nothing wrong in that, and he gets 2 points deducted for that ? and considering the judges scorecards were 147-145, 148-147, 147-146, them two bogus point deductions ultimately cost Muhammad the fight.

13. JohnThomas1

Apr 27, 2005
    Great post. The bias was obvious and the fight was very close.

14. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Eddie was one of those fighters who had all the skills but consistent fire .. he had no business losing to Galindez . He had no business losing to James Scott .. he always had excuses but the reality was he lacked fire to compliment his insane talent .. Ray Arcel once said something about Ezzard Charles, that he was like an incredible horse that sometimes just wont run .. ( this was as a heavyweight and post Sam B.) and it was similar w Eddie .. I'm telling you if he had the fire of a Marciano he would have been as good as anyone at 175 .. the man was gifted ..

15. JohnThomas1

Apr 27, 2005
    Absolutely. I know i'm critical of Holmes at times but you give Eddie the intestinal fortitude and sheer determination that Holmes had he would have been an ATG of solid standing. He had everything else in spades.

Liston73 and Dynamicpuncher like this.