Your top 3 scenarios where boxers messed up their lifetime chance.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by GOAT Primo Carnera, Sep 28, 2020.

1. GOAT Primo Carnera

GOAT Primo Carnera Member of the PC Fan Club Full Member

Jan 28, 2018
    Out of your head who are your top scenarios where a contender or even champion screwed up their chance in a super-bout to come in out of shape, quit, foul etc.?

Worthy picks:

- How could David Tua come in at a plodding 245lb against a worldclass long lead jabber in the biggest fight of his career?
    - A Tony Tubbs who missed his diet for a huge fight in Tokio against the young sensation of the boxing world at that time
    - Andrew Golota vs Bowe 2 to set things straigh after the Madison Square Garden riot to get DQed the same way AGAIN
    -
    Sonny Liston for crawling over the ringfloor in Lewiston after quitting the bout once before
    - Andy Ruiz vs Joshua 2, no need to get into detail for this :eatingburger.....

Whats your top 3 "how could he mess up that chance" ?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    sasto and BCS8 like this.
  2. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Number one for me was Midget Wolgast against Tony Genaro. I think it reads like he was getting the better of it and then caught an absolute beauty of a right hand and he just went into this weird shell; just stopped with the offence. Wolgast was brilliant at making himself hard to hit but retaliating with punishments for transgressions of any sort. Obviously TG was a force to be reckoned with but i feel it was there for Wolgast and he just let it slip away.

A winner here would have created a new lineal champ with each having a dunt of their careers to hand; it also may have crowned a #1 ATG at flyweight. Big chance slips by and he probably brought it upon himself with those defensive tactics. Tbf, he might have been really, really hurt.

3. TipNom

TipNom Active Member Full Member

Jun 19, 2019
    Andrew Golota

steve21 likes this.
  4. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Of course, you could argue Genaro was the one who really missed the chance. He had Wolgast in a box and didn't apply the proper pressure, maybe. Sure would love film of that one.

5. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    I'm still pissed at Corrie Sanders coming in looking like Moby Dick for the Vitali fight. I've always rated Vits as harder h2h than Wlad and I'd assumed Sanders would train his ass off for the bigger Klitschko. It's clear that Corrie's punches were whistling past Vits' face by fractions the whole night, after having him the most shaken I'd ever seen. Sanders was insanely talented in his younger days and he had his chance at heavyweight glory.I think that if Sanders had come in light and trim and well-trained that fight was within his grasp to win. Instead he trained on braais and boerie rolls and looked like a turtle :eusa_doh:

6. The Morlocks

The Morlocks Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 21, 2009
    September 1981 Gato Gonzales does nothing against Claude Noel. For 2 yrs leading up he was projected the nexr Duran with a crushing punch

Moseley after he wobbled Floyd looked petrified and did nothing. Gutless

GGG running from Canelo in the 2nd fight. Disgraceful=!!!!

Roughhouse likes this.
  7. TBooze

TBooze Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Alex Garcia has to be the #1 modern example.

The 32-1 contender gave up a shot at then Heavyweight Champ Riddick Bowe in 1993, as he felt he needed a few more fights, so went ahead with a bout with Journeyman Mike Dixon, and lost in two. He never recovered his ranking and retired with a 40-5-1 record at the end of decade.

Eddie Ezzard and Roughhouse like this.
  8. Webbiano

Webbiano Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 6, 2011
    Ortiz against Mayweather, even if he was going to get his ass whooped

Minotauro, Johnny_B and Mike_b like this.
  9. Bondy365

Bondy365 Member Full Member

Oct 13, 2016
    Dillian whyte against Povetkin. Finally after 1000 days he was a win away from his big fight with fury and blew it

10. Mike Cannon

Mike Cannon Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Mando Ramos
    Esteban De Jesus
    Not 1 fight as such ( mind you Ramos/Carmona was hard to watch ) but more the lifestyles they both chose, had it not been for substance abuse , these two already very good fighters in the annals of time, might have been mentiond as ATGs, shame.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  11. The Morlocks

The Morlocks Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 21, 2009
    But the road was still blocked by Roberto Duran

George Crowcroft likes this.
  12. sweetsci

sweetsci Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 22, 2008
    * Not really his fault, but John Tate losing in the last minute to Mike Weaver. If Tate had won the early 80's would likely look a whole lot different, at least at first. Tate would've gone on to fight Ali and presumably win, then go on to a super fight with Larry Holmes. Holmes would've beat him, but Tate would have been a lot richer.

* Muhammad Ali coming back against Holmes and Berbick. He obviously should have retired after winning his third championship against Spinks (if not earlier).

* Riddick Bowe throwing the WBC belt in the trash. I'm not a fan of the sanctioning bodies, but this was a boneheaded move that fractured the heavyweight title and made him look like he was ducking Lennox Lewis.

Toney F*** U likes this.
  13. Toney F*** U

Toney F*** U Boxing junkie Full Member

Oct 16, 2019
    Rjj not retiring after Ruiz. This really ruined his legacy and he is now seen by a lot of fans as some glass chinned division hopper.

Holyfield also not retiring after his first bout with Ruiz. He was already passed his prime and got a big win becoming the only 4x heavyweight champion. He then goes and keeps fighting for way too many years and stacked up an embarrassing 10 losses.

Lennox Lewis getting knocked out by rahman messed up his legacy. He is now viewed by many as overrated and glass chinned. Being one punch ko’d by McCall could just be looked at just as something that happens at heavyweight and a blessing in disguise, but getting one punch ko’d again by another lesser opponent really really raises the criticism. He had the chance to be viewed as the greatest by so many more fans but that one punch ruined it imo. There’s some people who don’t even view him as an atg because of it

BCS8, Mike_b and sasto like this.
  14. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    I still can’t believe how that guy went down hill so fast

TBooze likes this.
  15. Saad54

Saad54 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 10, 2014
    Greg Page coming in at 239 lbs against Witherspoon after weighing 227 in earning his title shot in beating Snipes convincingly.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    Roughhouse likes this.