Your tricks

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by sheff-fighter, Apr 10, 2008.

1. sheff-fighter

sheff-fighter ` Full Member

Mar 6, 2008
    We've all probably found little feints, movements etc that let us trick an opponent. Knowing none of us will probably ever get the chance to use this knowledge against you ( ;) ) what are yours?

Mine is pretty simple stuff at this stage in my training. Just little things occasionally come off - off the top of my head I just remember a few times where I've moved my left arm to make it look like my body is wide open and knowing that they'll try to go to the body, so I'll give them a big right when they try.

What about you guys?

2. Jennifer Love Hewitt

Jennifer Love Hewitt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    I point to the floor and gesture as if to tell him, "look your shoe is untied", then when they look down I punch them.
    I know it sounds like a joke, but you'd be suprised on how many time that actually works.

3. stevexx28

stevexx28 Active Member Full Member

Apr 1, 2007
    I like to go to the ropes, leave my left hand low, or act hurt when the fight is too slow to lure and exchange( i only do this against scared fighters or weak/slow fighters lol)
    I Change the speed of my punches, like jab real slow like im super fatigued then let out a fast stiff one.
    Not really a trick, but i feint jabs and throw left hooks of it occasionally.

4. BeGGeRs

BeGGeRs god Full Member

Nov 8, 2006
    You want dirty tricks??
    Or do you mean faints and drawing in your opponent?..

To best utilize dirty tricks, you must know where the ref is, and use them where the ref can't see them.

1. Holding the ropes. If you get a runner along the ropes and he's escaping, you can grab the ropes and keep him from exiting. This one's hard to hide from the ref, so you'll probably get called on it. If you fake a left hook to grab the ropes, it's possible to hide it.

2. Lacing. Usually punches are thrown with the laces facing you. Turning the fist exposes the laces to your opponent. If a guy's cut, you can really open a wound by lacing it. Throw a rising left, ref on your opponent's right (hiding the punch), your palm facing him.

3. Head Butt. Many guys come into you with their heads coming straight in, ala Tyson Hollyfield. You don't have to do a billy goat at him. Let his motion into you do the damage, but always hit with the top of your forhead, the soccer line between the forhead and the flat of the head. It's the head's hardest point. It can do alot of damage, and hurts like hell. Again, do it when the ref can's see the foul.

4. Stepping on feet. It's very upsetting to one's rhythm and balance to have your foot stepped on. Runners especialy hate it. Stepping on the foot will take him out of his game for a moment; he'll likely make a motion to complain. Full attack a moment after stepping on the foot.

5. Elbows. Looping punches can be followed up with elbows. Look at the classic shot Marciano gave Jersey Joe - Rocky threw his patented looping right hand, bent his forearm slightly, and creamed him full on with an elbow. Very punishing.

6. Shoulder shots. If the ref's on your right, and your opponent is moving in with his head by your left cheek, you can throw your shoulder int his face.

7. Thumbs. Though today's gloves are such that there's little hand movement, if you can get some mobility to your thumb you can shoot it with a jab to the eye. This is a particularly nasty shot, because detatched retinas and blindness can result. Greb lost use of his eye from a thumb by Kid Graves (I believe that was the guy). 'Course, Harry was one of the (if not THE) dirtiest fighter in the game. Greb said of Kid G, "He had a better thumb than I had."

8. Body Blocking. When an opponent comes in, lean into him and bump his chest hard with your shoulder, sending him back, and attacking hard when he goes back. The ref is likely to come between, but before that you might be able to blast him with some shots, since he's likely to be out of his game for a spell.

9. Holding behind the head. Ali was a master of this. Watch his matches with Joe Frazier. Let a smaller opponent, or an opponent who keeps his head low feel your weight, over and over. It's ennervating. Scoop his right hand with your left, trap it with your arm against your side. Hold him behind his head with your hand, elbow in, and lean in and down. Do it with your friend, and you'll get a sense of the attrition that will follow repeated use of this tactic. Always, in clenches, try to make your opponent carry your weight.

10. Leg/Hip punching. A slug to the thigh or hip can cause serious damage to a runner. It's hard to run with a friggin charlie horse! The punches that hurt Ali the worst after his first fight with Frazier were the shots to his hips! The best way I know to camaflage those punches are wide weaving to the side preceding up hooks. "Accidentally" hit those vulnerable places.

5. KDot10

KDot10 Roy Jones Jr. Full Member

Dec 30, 2007
    Hand behind the back!!! Just like RJ against Kelly, works everytime.

Or just dropping my hands in general, most fighters tend to underrate my agility, reflexes and my actual ability to dodge a punch haha

6. karatekid530

karatekid530 Milwaukee's Best Full Member

Mar 22, 2006
    i like to start out with quick light jabs like im gonna be a runner until i can get them by a corner and then i press forward and change my style and trap them into the corner. it works for sparring but i dunno if id do that in a fight or not.

7. Punisher33

Punisher33 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 8, 2007
    If I felt my oppenent coming on strong, and I was a little tired, I would try to sink a low blow and make sure the ref was on the other side when I did it. When ever he would go to complain I would try to mount an attack, most fighters turn away for a second or drop there hands, which gives you a perfect oppertunity to get some open shots in take away his momentum.

8. joekirkbycobra

joekirkbycobra King Of The Ring Full Member

Jan 4, 2008
    i sumtimes tap my heel then jump in wn im comfortably winning
    also screw punche are great like naseem hamed used

9. Little_Mac

Little_Mac Active Member Full Member

May 18, 2007
    Not much of a trick really but i do like this lunging left jab to the stomach. Think like a fencer would do. I do it at really long range and I've always scored with it. It's really hard to follow up on though, because I am sort of off balance and open to counters haha. I'm really cautious with it and I never do it more than once. The trick is you have to do it from really far away and use your legs to stretch out. I've tried it about a dozen times and it's never not worked.

After doing this you can fake it at closer range, then just pop them in the head with a right hand. That works good too.