Your unpopular boxing opinions

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mrkoolkevin, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Pugguy

Pugguy Ingo, The Thinking Man’s GOAT Full Member

Aug 22, 2021
    Foreman v Lyle, somewhat overrated. Power notwithstanding, some decidedly slow and clumsy deliveries, finishing with an exhausted Foreman flailing away with punches of far less potency on an already beaten Lyle who eventually collapses. . If someone were to ask, well what’s better, I would immediately offer the two Liston - Williams fights. Far more skill and speed woven into a “technical “ brawl between two big punchers. There is also the Lyle v Shavers punch out that appeared more intense and on point.

2. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    I would say my opinion on Dillian Whyte is unpopular.

3. OP_TheJawBreaker

OP_TheJawBreaker NOBODY hit like that guy! Full Member

Jun 23, 2021
    Unpopular opinions right? okay..

You know Herbie Hide? Yes, He hits hard enough for me to rank him in my p4p hardest punchers list. Somewhere between 20-30 but I rank him probably at #25. P4P he's above Tyson, and also Tyson does not cut in my Top 30 hardest punchers list. Currently it's is like this:

1. Bob Fitzsimmons
    2. Julian Jackson
    3. Sam Langford
    4. Earnie Shavers
    5. Jimmy Wilde
    6. Bob Satterfield
    7. Thomas Hearns
    8. Sandy Saddler
    9. Jack Dempsey
    10. Roberto Duran
    11. Randall Bailey
    12. Ruben Olivares
    13. George Foreman
    14. Wilfedo Gomez
    15. Edwin Rosario
    16. Gerald McClellan
    17. Sugar Ray Robinson
    18. Bob Foster
    19. Max Baer
    20. Eugene Cyclone Hart
    21. Lloyd Marshall
    22. Cleveland Williams
    23. Prince Naseem Hamed
    24. Alexis Arguello
    25. Herbie Hide
    26. Alfonso Zamora
    27. Khaosai Galaxy
    28. Joe Louis
    29. Felix Trinidad
    30. Jaime Garza

I'm still working my way to top 100

Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
  4. OP_TheJawBreaker

OP_TheJawBreaker NOBODY hit like that guy! Full Member

Jun 23, 2021
    I remember the first time trying to watch Foreman-Lyle and I was like... "Why are they punching in slow motion? Where do they think they are, underwater??"

5. mrkoolkevin

mrkoolkevin Never wrestle with pigs or argue with fools Full Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Having Duran that high might be even more unpopular...

hdog likes this.
  6. mrkoolkevin

mrkoolkevin Never wrestle with pigs or argue with fools Full Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Completely agree. I always cringe when people talk about this fight as if it's heavyweight boxing at its finest.

7. Naseem Muhammed

Naseem Muhammed Member Full Member

Oct 24, 2021
    Exactly. Riddick bowe vs Holyfield 1 imo was a better slugfest and had more boxing skill if memory serves me correct

Pat M and mrkoolkevin like this.
  8. Tonto62

Tonto62 Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Mar 26, 2011
    So would I.

9. Tonto62

Tonto62 Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Mar 26, 2011
    I don't think they feel that , just that it was exciting.

10. Showstopper97

Showstopper97 The Icon Full Member

Oct 7, 2020
    Usyk is a modern-day Chris Byrd (not as fast or as good defensively, but smarter, better footwork, higher work-rate, & better at adjusting in the ring).

cross_trainer likes this.
  11. Guru88

Guru88 Active Member Full Member

Sep 6, 2020
    Behave, Usyk is much much better than Chris Byrd

Tonto62 and scandcb like this.
  12. William Walker

William Walker Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 9, 2020
    Two I just plum forgot was that I think a good deal of Ali's prime was in the 70s, and a lot of Star's prime was as a MW.

13. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Gerry Cooney was managed far better than most give credit for:

1) Maxed his earning potential.

2) If he had ‘stepped up’ too far earlier than Holmes he might have lost (and perhaps more than once) and maybe never gotten a title shot, or been paid far less for one if he did.

3) Jimmy Young was a fight that should have given him some quality deep rounds but he was stopped on a cut. Nine times out of 10, he probably takes Gerry the distance.

4) Whether due to injuries (as claimed) or maybe because he was having substance abuse issues that wrecked his training/preparation (as I suspect) or a combination of the two, he had a number of scheduled fights that would have been good for his development canceled. He was supposed to fight Earnie Shavers on the Hearns-Cuevas undercard but pulled out with an injury and was replaced by Tex Cobb. There were other such fights — you see a lot of down time on his record and most of that was when he was supposed to have fights but pulled out.

If he was injured in training, that’s not a fault of management. If he was on a bender and in no shape to fight, the manager pulling him out and keeping those demons out of the public debate was in his best interest. Either way, good management or just one of those things.

5) He was contracted to fight Mike Weaver for that version of the title but the WBA stepped in and made Weaver fight Quick Tillis instead … even though they had Cooney ranked No. 1. Again, good management to steer him in that direction (he’d have made even more vs. Holmes if he beat Mike and was unifying with Larry — and it would have been a good opponent to help Cooney grow).

6) Most importantly, his management kept him away from signing with Don King, who notably ruined and used fighters. King controlled most of the heavyweight landscape, so a lot of opponents people think Gerry should have fought were under Don, and to fight them he would have had to sign with King. No thanks.

All in all, that’s better management than most 1980s guys got.

ikrasevic, Titan1 and William Walker like this.
  14. Titan1

Titan1 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 18, 2004
    Great post. #5 would have been the best option if allowed, but it would have been very risky, Weaver could have coldcocked him.

Saintpat likes this.
  15. Veerbone

Veerbone Member Full Member

Oct 15, 2021
    Mike Tyson was exactly what Holyfield's trainer said he was: the most overrated heavyweight in history.

Muhammed Ali hated white people until they made him filthy rich.

Larry Holmes was good in a bad era, not great.

Sonny Liston is the most intriguing character in the history of boxing.

michael mullen likes this.