Your WORST punch/ My Right Uppercut.

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by drakeon, Jan 22, 2013.

1. drakeon

drakeon New Member Full Member

Oct 12, 2012
    What is your opinions of learning certain punches and your ability to throw certain ones as good as others. I know everyone and all the pros have punches that are better for them than others, but why cant you master all punches!?

I have been boxing since I was 9, competed, and one thing I dont understand, and havnt been able to for along time is that, why cant I throw a good right uppercut! My best attrbute is speed, Im orthadox, and can throw a lighning left hook, jab, straight right n left uppercut, but my righthook is SLOW, even though I know im tons faster than that punch i only wish i could show you. Yet if I go southpaw, I can throw left uppercut like lighning, its infuriating!? Just been throwing my back uppercut from southpaw n then trying to do it in my normal orthadox and its so slow, so much so I had to come on here n vent it! N beleive me ive had about 5 different coaches, but the technique isnt a problem cus i can do it from southpaw, and ive been aware about it for years now, I cant do it. Will it ever come or can those muscles not work as fast as the rest of me? Deepest apologies for the ******ed writing I just typed as I thought!

2. drakeon

drakeon New Member Full Member

Oct 12, 2012
    my right uppercut, not righthook, my mistake up ther ^

3. Speechless

Speechless Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 7, 2012
    My straight right, which sucks cuz that should be the staple, the go-to punch for orthodox fighters.
    I just lack the power, probably cuz i fight a lot of taller guys and overuse the overhand right, so I end up hooking it a little. Been practicing straightening it out and popping that ****er. Fine on a bag, just not a person.

4. JDK

JDK Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 29, 2010
    Might just be mental block?
    Has your trainer actually told you that your right uppercut is lacking speed/power?

5. Scorpion

Scorpion Boxing Addict Full Member

May 9, 2006
    Left uppercut or left hook to the body. Maybe it's cus i'm a southpaw but i always end up banging my fist of someones elbow when i throw those two punches.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  6. twinwonw

twinwonw Member Full Member

Mar 10, 2012
    I'm a southpaw and my left body hook sucks, I just find it awkward to throw a body hook from the rear, I have no problem throwing regular hooks from the rear though.

7. Son of Gaul

Son of Gaul Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Obviously, landing the orthodox right uppercut is much easier when you're squared up on the inside(same thing goes for rear hooks). To answer your question though...

It's really difficult to land this punch (with any force) from mid-range. The reason is that your core has to be extremely strong to properly transfer your weight from your feet through your hips without losing your balance.

8. P.4.P.G.O.A.T.

P.4.P.G.O.A.T. Q Boro Killa Bee Full Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Been "working" on a right hook for FIVE years...

9. dyna

dyna Boxing Junkie banned

Jun 1, 2012
    Rear hand hooks are too telepgraphed for it to work "good"

10. RDJ

RDJ Boxing Junkie banned

Sep 27, 2005
    Not from up close.

My worst punch is my straight right. It's not horrible and I can land it but I'm not satisfied with it.

11. VBOX

VBOX JOURNEYMAN Full Member

Feb 8, 2012
    My left jab is more of a decoy or setup punch then a violent one. I know it's not meant to be a money punch but it just feels awkward, my left straight feels more comfortable to throw so I actually have started fighting in the southpaw stance. Now I have a more versatile attack, right hook, right jab, left hands all feel ten times better throwing even though I am sacrificing my power right hands which I am pretty good at but just doesn't feel worth it to only have one good punch and the rest mediocre.

12. norfolkinchance

norfolkinchance Active Member Full Member

Mar 28, 2009
    exactly the same for me. i really struggle to jab and boom the straight right across for some reason.

always throw it as a counter not a quick 1-2

working hard on it tho

13. scrap

scrap Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 15, 2006
    Get your Hip Line checked for there mechanics, usually the side that stabilizes the action is to blame. theres some really good stretches, that solve the problem.

14. greynotsoold

greynotsoold Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Watch how you throw your jab...a lot of times, if a guy is really looking to load up the right hand, he'll just push the jab out and then the right hand kind of falls flat. Concentrate on really getting your jab all the way out; this will not only get your distance correct, it will get your shoulders turned and set up your right hand.

15. BagsWithDust

BagsWithDust Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 18, 2009
    i have bad body punches, they are like taps, and right hook is horrible haha

I would say my best punch is either straight right hand or right uppercut. as said by my coaches