Zab Judah talks about his hardest fight (against Micky Ward)

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Seamus, Aug 13, 2022.

1. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Zab is pretty endearing in his interview, respectful, even self-deprecating. In his shutout of Ward, tho, he got tagged in the 8th, and the apple cart was upset for a while...

Gazelle Punch, The G-Man and Sangria like this.
  2. Journeyman92

Journeyman92 Resident Gadfly Full Member

Sep 22, 2021
    Hardest fight? Zab was executed like a microwaved hamster by Tszyu.

Sangria likes this.
  3. Sangria

Sangria You bleed like Mylee Full Member

Nov 13, 2010
    I loved Zab. Had potential as far as the moon. Unfortunately he seemed to lose concentration as the fight wore on. Maybe it was discipline, maybe it was stamina, but the man got off to great starts and enormous leads before losing steam.

His fight with Ward was tremendous.

Can't stand Vlad.

Seamus and wutang like this.
  4. Sangria

Sangria You bleed like Mylee Full Member

Nov 13, 2010
    That ref blew it. Forgot his name but never liked him. Jay Nady, that's his name. Zab only hit the canvas twice, if he fell down again then sure, stop the fight. But he didn't quite get Berbick'd.

Look like Zab's ankle broke though.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2022
  5. AwardedSteak863

AwardedSteak863 Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 16, 2018
    While Tzysu legit won that fight, Zab made a huge mistake by getting up to early when he didn't have his legs. He was pretty much ready to continue when Nady stopped the fight but it's hard to blame Nady especially with the way Zab was flopping around. With that said, Zab was having success up to that point.

I think what Zab was getting at in the Ward fight was how badly he was hurt. Multiple times he has been interviewed about it and he has always maintained that he was about to quit in his corner because he was so badly hurt by that LH to the body. His father Joel simply wouldn't let him.

Sangria, Bokaj and Journeyman92 like this.
  6. Noel857

Noel857 I Am Duran Full Member

Mar 24, 2019
    Really enjoyed this thanks for posting

Journeyman92 likes this.
  7. Journeyman92

Sep 22, 2021
    I think you’ve got the right of it. I don’t however think Zab was getting off as well as you think Kostya took over before the final shot he’d figured Zab the speedy fella out very quickly.

8. AwardedSteak863

AwardedSteak863 Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 16, 2018
    Zab definitely won the first round but I still think Tzysu was going to win and I made money on that fight. Timing usually beats speed...eventually.

Journeyman92 likes this.
  9. Seamus

Feb 11, 2005
    If you go down twice from one punch, the ref usually stops it. Not sure of that's in the rules but I can't remember it being done differently.

PhillyPhan69 and greynotsoold like this.
  10. Seamus

Feb 11, 2005
    Not familiar with Vlad but from this interview I could see where he'd be annoying.

Sangria likes this.
  11. Pugguy

Pugguy Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 22, 2021
    Imo, no way the Tszyu fight was stopped too soon or prematurely.

Zab had a nice start to the fight but KT kept his cool and adjusted his timing and judgment of distance incrementally, leading him to land the perfect right hand before too long.

It’s a catch 22 to say Zab arose too quickly - as if to suggest poor judgment of a sound mind, divorcing it from the fact that it was Tszyu’s punch that scrambled and impaired his brain in the first place.

Zab displayed clear lack of cognisance and body control - major red flags. The stoppage was fine.

PhillyPhan69 likes this.
  12. The G-Man

The G-Man Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 24, 2020
    Zab has always maintained Micky was his hardest fight and it s easy to see why.
    Yeah Tszyu cleaned his clock early but that cant be as difficult as a 10 round physical abuse with Ward.
    And indeed this Vlad channel is bottom of the barrel gargabe.

Pugguy likes this.
  13. Journeyman92

Sep 22, 2021
    I remember how hard Zab came out but mostly I remember how relaxed Kostya was under fire after the first assaults he took it well, Tszyu knew he only needed to be patient. I can’t remember the quote exactly but in his book he says something to the effect of “If I don’t get him early I get him later, always”

AwardedSteak863 likes this.