Zuffa CEO Lorenzo Fertitta steps in to help negotiate Emelianenko vs. Henderson

Discussion in 'MMA Forum' started by scurlaruntings, May 2, 2011.

1. scurlaruntings

scurlaruntings ESB 2002 Club Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    http://www.fighters.com/04/29/lorenzo-fertitta-steps-in-to-negotiate-emelianenko-vs-henderson

:blood

Since the proposition of a match-up pitting living legends Fedor Emelianenko and Dan Henderson against one another, the fans and media alike have taking the story and ran with it.

While Fedor may be arguably in the “twilight” of his career, he still manages to entice fans both with his aura and fighting ability, which has laid waste to some of the greatest heavyweight of all time, including Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (twice), Mark Coleman (twice) and former PRIDE Open Weight Grand Prix 2006 Champion, Mirko “Cro Cop”.

However, negotiations have come to a stand still and now that strikeforce (the San Jose based organization whom houses both Henderson and Emelianenko) has been acquired under the Zuffa banner, CEO Lorenzo Fertitta will now step in now to help expedite the process.

UFC President Dana White confirmed with MMAJunkie.com that Lorenzo is now working closely with the parties involved on behalf of Henderson and Emelianeko in order to make what would be a historic fight now possible.

Seriously is there any point in this at all. :roll:

2. Will Cooling

Will Cooling Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Well who else would you have either man face?

3. BobDigi5060

BobDigi5060 East Side MMA Full Member

Feb 7, 2006
    The article states that negotiations did come to a standstill.. What do you want?

I think you got it wrong, he will do more help than hurt.

4. Stoo

Stoo Obsessed with Boxing banned

Apr 4, 2008
    Fedor negotiations proving difficult...I find that hard to believe

5. Beekeeper

Beekeeper Bedtime Story, Aoki Style Full Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Ya, Henderson definitely doesn't have that kind of history

6. Amrn4s

Amrn4s Active Member Full Member

Apr 14, 2011
    Hope they make this happen. I would really like to see this fight.

7. Stoo

Apr 4, 2008
    You are absolutely spot on for once, even though Im sure that was intended as sarcasm. Hendo honoured his last contract, couldnt reach terms on renegotiation and left the UFC. M1 signed a contract with SF making Fedor the highest earner in the promotion (which he has earned btw) but seem intent on renegotiating terms and stalling every time Scott Coker wants to get his $ worth.

See the difference?

8. Beekeeper

Aug 13, 2010
    You talking jive Stoo, Fedor has never knowingly disohnored a contract. And how long did Henderson sit out for before he finally signed with SF?

9. Stoo

Apr 4, 2008
    I never meant to imply Fedor would dishonour a contract or slate him as a fighter. I just am not the biggest fan of the way M1 goes about it's business trying to milk every last penny out of their best assets when he's on a decent contract for what I understand about it already. Being a fan, I just want to see him fight, but there's always something, and though it's not clear this delay is M1's doing, past history suggests it is

10. Will Cooling

Aug 2, 2010
    He fought in July at UFC 100...had a match against Rich Franklin cancelled in September...talks broke down with the UFC in October...signed with Strikeforce in December. Hardly seems an unreasonable sequence of events.

11. Beekeeper

Aug 13, 2010
    I don't like M1 management either. The didn't even develop Fedor, and I don't think they have done an adequate job of developing other talent in EE so far.

But look at SF pre and post Fedor, he put them on the face of the map, and SF has other good/decent fighters partially as a result of this.

12. Beekeeper

Aug 13, 2010

Henderson was in line for a title shot at the time no?

13. Will Cooling

Aug 2, 2010
    No. He was promised one if he beat Bisping but then Silva refused to fight him unless he first defeated Nate Marquardt. They were still trying to force the issue when Silva scheduled surgery to deal with a nagging elbow injury to take him out of action until Spring 2010.

14. Will Cooling

Aug 2, 2010
    Fedor helped grow their brand but you're massively overstating his impact. They were doing really good business with Frank Shamrock back in 2006 and had already made the key purchase of EliteXC assessts (including Gina Carano and the women's division, the Showtime contract, Cesar Gracie's fighters, Big Foot, etc).

Fedor probably got them onto CBS though. But then again the huge contract they signed him to probably contributed to their decision to sell the company. They'd probably have been better off spending the money on Kimbo Slice to be honest.

15. Beekeeper

Aug 13, 2010
    Kimbo, really? :blood Fedor did not ruin SF, they were bought out by Zuffa because they were succesful, because they had good fighters, (especially at HW) and because they had Fedor.