87' Tyson vs 69' Frazier

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by UncleDenny, Apr 10, 2012.

1. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Styles make fights and as much as I love Joe I don't see any version of him surviving a prime Tyson ... Mike started much faster, was much faster, was at least as strong and had better two handed power ... a full steam ahead Frazier simply does not survive this ...

White Bomber, JackSilver and Sangria like this.
  2. Foreman Hook

Foreman Hook ☆☆☆ G$ora ☆☆☆ Full Member

Jul 30, 2010
    This content is protected
    :hat

http://www.eastsideboxing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=272876

Foreman Hooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooook!:rasta

3. Foreman Hook

Jul 30, 2010
    Frazier-Haters AlWAYS say he can not take big uppercuts on his Chin. :patsch

But, it is proper hard to imagine more then 1 or 2 ATG's not called M.Ali, who could take many booming beasts of a Left-Hook haymaker to teh Chin from Smokey Joe, without being sparked out for the count. :deal

[yt]4-wikZPfREo[/yt]

Foreman Hoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooook!:smoke

4. round15

round15 Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 27, 2007
    87 Tyson was deadly, 69 Frazier was a machine.

Again, I think too much focus on Joe's loss to Foreman makes people believe Tyson would bomb him out the same way. First of all, there's a big difference between Frazier of 73 and Frazier of 69. Tyson is fast, but he's no Ali. The Joe that made Ali miss probably wouldn't waste time trying to make Tyson miss. Joe would engage Mike, and would be whipping hooks with both hands to Tyson's body early and often. He probably taste the canvas once or twice against Mike in the early rounds when he is vulnerable. I'd still bet on Frazier returning the knockdown and stopping Mike before the bell for round 10. Maybe sooner.

5. lefe

lefe Active Member Full Member

Mar 27, 2010
    This version of Joe Frazier is dangerous for every fighter including George Foreman.Foreman fought washed up Joe Frazier in 1973 and that Joe Frazier was not shadow of himself in 1969 or his best fight 1971.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BF05JMd9Hfk[/ame]
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18IJWGEo3fg[/ame]
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tluo948mN64[/ame]

6. The_Rock

The_Rock Member Full Member

Sep 16, 2011
    Either Tyson early or Frazier late. I think I would favor Tyson, however.

7. Foreman Hook

Jul 30, 2010
    :conf

.:izzl

Foreman Hoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooook!:smoke

8. Foreman Hook

Jul 30, 2010
    NOBODY except maybe Big G and Lion Lenny, could KO "Diamond Dawg" G$ora, his Chin is pure "GRADE AAA" Diamond, And he did prove this by walking through Helenius's And Vitlay's best haymakers without blinking.:!:

Anyway "Tinkerbell" is a perfect nickname for Tyson. :D

If ya don't know, now ya know nicca!:smoke

Foreman Hoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooook!:rasta

9. tommygun711

tommygun711 The Future Full Member

Dec 26, 2009
    That's bs... there's no comparison between Marvis and Joe

10. Foreman Hook

Jul 30, 2010
    :thumbsup It is a like a Frazier-Fanboy saying Jerry "Milk Drinker" Quarry is like Tyson. :lol:

11. techks

techks ATG list Killah! Full Member

Dec 6, 2009
    Don't get the Holyfield-Tyson references. TBF, Tyson was well removed from his prime and Holyfield outmuscled, counterpunched, and used his footwork around Tyson to get him off balance to nail him. Beautiful strategy despite the excessive hugging. And that was 96 Tyson who was not as sharp or even focused like the 87 one was. Frazier would not use that strategy anyways.

Yes Frazier came forward but I feel he's tougher than Tyson. Not stronger or durable enough to take the punishment which is why I favor Tyson and always has. With those uppercuts and his mindset to be the best he would not lay over for Frazier resulting in a great fight while it lasts though Tyson could end Frazier early.

Also not fair to bring up the Frazier who fought Foreman as he was past prime and not motivated. Didn't have much head movement despite playing around in the rematch with Foreman but still removed from prime both fights. Still that's the biggest puncher he faced and he failed though he always showed heart that Tyson lack later in his career. Tyson is not as strong as Foreman imo but he was strong enough to take out Frazier making it an early assault that I'm not confident in saying Frazier survives.

Bad style matchup but you have to remember Frazier only lost to two ATGs not to say lesser didn't have a chance to beat him. Both Frazier and Tyson are great fighters but I see Tyson taking him out around rds 3-7. If Frazier gets through the punishment he could get a decision over Mike in a classic battle which he could mentally but physically I'm not sure.

12. round15

round15 Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Notice Joe's hands are up in proper guard position and the pace that he's setting here against Quarry. Don't know if he would have blocked the same shots coming from Foreman but it must be said that this version of Frazier would be a tough assignment for every heavyweight champion before him or after.

I can't see Tyson or Foreman KOing this version of Frazier early and I can definitely see Joe stopping both after the middle rounds. Tyson would likely last longer against this Joe than Foreman. Unless George stops him early, he runs out of gas and Frazier takes control of the fight.

Same thing goes with Quarry. I don't think Tyson and Foreman would have a comfortable fight with Jerry either despite a lot of people on this forum discrediting him. Foreman avoided Quarry.

13. Son of Gaul

Son of Gaul Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Joe Frazier often handled uppercuts by lunging in while bobing at an angle and absorbing the force of the uppercut into his gloves positioned at his abdomen. He would do the same here. Tyson would not be allowed to just tee off with his uppercut. He might land it on Frazier's chest or gut but that's it.

14. Foreman Hook

Jul 30, 2010
    :deal OMG XPERT-post m8! :thumbsup

PRIME Smoke was EXTREMELY ELUSIVE, a wise warrior and not a coward, he was in and out, agile with his flow.:mj

Foreman Hooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooook!:rasta

15. Foreman Hook

Jul 30, 2010
    YEAH but Frazier was tough-as-nails, he can take it. :!:

- This Rocky quote would v.much apply to Smoke in this fight VS Tinkerbell. :!:

Foreman Hoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooook!:smoke