Aj v Fury

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Degale, Mar 10, 2021.

1. nurological

nurological Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 25, 2012
    Joshua has released a statement on behalf of his managament company passing the blame but still hopeful.

Feels like damage limitation.

2. Brixton Bomber

Brixton Bomber Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Sep 21, 2013
    Wow...

3. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    You know it's true.
    If Fury lost to a fat stubby-armed blob like Ruiz, a non-top-ten guy, you'd be all over him for it, and probably deservedly so.

You simply have no answer to the question of how many really "good wins" Joshua has.
    You say Fury has "two", that's fine. I can agree with that.
    But you leave the question of how many of AJ's are real premium wins unanswered.
    It's all just that familar vague "great resume" or "several top men" line that no one wants to question too deeply.

Don't get me wrong, I give Joshua a lot of credit for fighting someone of Wladimir's standard in his 19th pro fight, even with WK being old .... and I give Joshua a lot of credit for facing undefeated young Parker in his 21st fight, the old but clever Povetkin in his 22nd fight, all within 5 years of turning professional.
    But it doesn't amount to a great resume yet, and I do wonder how many "good wins" he has in total. I'd be surprised if it's as many as 4, to be honest.

Oneirokritis likes this.
  4. Furious

Furious Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Hearn has also said something to Sky about thinking they'll come to an arrangement this weekend. This, plus (conversely) Fury's instagram story, is a good sign. I think they'll announce it over the weekend and all this is to build a bit of hype collectively.

5. Unforgiven

Nov 24, 2005
    I hope so.

6. Furious

Nov 2, 2017
    I have hope. I said on the general forum just now, but I can't imagine all parties being so incompetent/greedy that they simply let it fall through. Would be absurd.

7. nurological

nurological Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 25, 2012
    I think its just smart PR. Get there first is 101.

8. Unforgiven

Nov 24, 2005
    I'm not so sure.
    Apart from greed making them do something so irrational, they might decide to hang on for a year to see if they can get a capacity crowd at Wembley in early summer 2022. Which is quite logical and if they pull that off, history will forgive them.
    The problem is, can they avoid losing to other challengers in lesser fights in the meantime ?

Glenn McKrory likes this.
  9. Furious

Nov 2, 2017
    I think that would be a disproportionately long delay. Not that it means much in the scheme of things, but I see Sadiq Khan has publicly commented on the fight today saying he will do 'all he can' to help make it happen at Wembley. I could see a 6 month delay to late Sept/early Oct at a capacity Wembley.

Obviously then difficult to juggle the 'undisputed' situation.

Unforgiven likes this.
  10. Furious

Nov 2, 2017
    Could be, Hearn is great at that side of things. Dinosaurs Warren and Arum have no idea how to market in the modern era.

11. Mod-Mania

Mod-Mania Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 12, 2012
    Zero risk fights his whole career?

He fought and beat Dillian Whyte when he was undefeated and he's done pretty well for himself since
    Beat Wlad in a classic fight unlike his and Fury's 12 round kiss chase
    Beat Parker who was undeafeated and WBO champion
    Beat Povetkin who granted was 39 but still had only lost to Wlad
    Quickly avenged a devestating loss to Ruiz when people thought he was crazy to go stright back in with.

And he's done all that in just 25 fights.

12. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor banned Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    All very old or puddings mate.

Whyte is British Level and a PED pudding
    Wlad was too old at 41 and inactive for 18 months
    Paint Dry Parker won a vacant belt against Fatty Fudge
    PED Povetkin was finished when Wlad battered him all over Moscow years ago
    Spud Ruiz the biggest comedy moment in the history of boxing

The only mediocre risk was old Wlad

13. Glenn McKrory

Glenn McKrory M&S luxury pudding Full Member

Jul 26, 2018
    They should just have the fight this Summer, what's the difference between 50 million apiece and 100 million? Two yachts and a couple of extra mansions instead of one? The blokes are already multi millionaires who win the equivalent of the lottery and more than anyone on here makes in their lifetime per fight.

The rematch could be even bigger than the first fight, and who knows, a trilogy could be on the cards depending on the outcome. They need to think of the bigger picture, which if Hearn is as astute as people make out, he already should be.

But you're right, I fear that greed from all parties may scupper the fight for this year.

Unforgiven and Jurgen like this.
  14. Brixton Bomber

Brixton Bomber Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Sep 21, 2013
    Spot on.

If Fury had the depth of AJ'S record, the plonkers on here would be calling him the GOAT.

15. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor banned Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Tony Dosh PPV has a CV full of old puddings, small puddings, extra fat puddings, dumplings and Wladimir Klitschko aged 41.

Fury has Wladimir Klitschko, Wilder 1, Wilder 2 and a fine selection of puddings similar to the above with Dull Boy Plodder replacing PED Pudding Whyte.

It does not matter about the volume of puddings - a pudding tastes like a pudding.

Between the 2 CVs - there are only 4 genuine world level fights being the fights against Wladimir Klitschko and Deontay Wilder.

Fury was involved in three of them so has the better CV.