Amir khan theory

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by andy2402, Mar 11, 2017.

1. andy2402

andy2402 New Member Full Member

Nov 22, 2014
    I'm new to the forum so you may have had this debate , shut me down I'd so!! I imagine there's been a fair few khan threads.

The general boxing consensus is khan has zero chin.

Now I'm not saying he has a great chin , but I feel his "glass chin' has alot to do with

He has terrible defenses and doesn't see a lot of shots coming
    He throws consecutive shots and leaves himself open (getting hit while throwing often leads to big knockdowns)
    He has limited defensive capabilities and seems to be a bit amateur when it comes
    to reacting to incoming shots (his reaction to the canelo feint was a joke - put both hands down towards the faint)

I see the above as the big hole in khan's game and has resulted in the heavy knockout losses he has suffered.

Opinions, or do we lump all the above together to contribute towards a fighters chin rating ?

2. ashishwarrior

ashishwarrior VIP Member Full Member

Apr 19, 2010
    But why you pi55ing all over the mans skills for
    He as no defence
    No balance
    No ring IQ
    No inside game
    Cannot think for him self
    As no punch variation
    Shyte footwork
    No power
    No chin
    No real head movement
    But its all about them fast hands speed kills init

N17, tdf1974 and Odins beard like this.
  3. andy2402

andy2402 New Member Full Member

Nov 22, 2014
    I'm specifically wanting to discuss his chin and whether or not his chin gets a bad wrap due to his other deficiencies putting said chin in unwise circumstances.

I don't want to start bashing his overall game

4. ashishwarrior

Apr 19, 2010
    OK then his chin is dog shyte

Odins beard likes this.
  5. Work the body

Work the body Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 5, 2015
    He is pretty much a one trick pony. But that one trick gets him through most fights. When he steps up he gets exposed however.

Odins beard likes this.
  6. Mc2

Mc2 Member Full Member

Mar 6, 2017
    His biggest problem is he doesnt have good awareness. What i mean by that is he doesnt see the shots coming. He cant read them coming. So his body doesnt prepare for it landing. Thats the shots that will take you out. And half the reason his body reacts to it badly.

His defence isnt that bad...got his legs. Virgils got him moving in the proper direction. Hands up when hes not throwing etc. Even against canelo and garcia he didnt actually take that many shots in the fights until they hurt him the first time or knocked him out. Even the best defences get hits at that level. But for me its his lack of awareness.

7. yesihavearm2

yesihavearm2 ESB Chinchecker Full Member

May 30, 2008
    For god sake how many times do we need to do this.

His defence is bad, his IQ is bad but even worse than those things are his chin.

He is the only fighter I can think of in 25 years of following the sport that has been knocked down or out at every level of boxing: Amateur, first 10 fights, vs journeymen, vs hand picked featherfisted opposition, world level, after moving up in weight.

The guy has bad defence yes but he also has a super-fragile Glass Jaw. If he had any sort of chin at all his defence wouldn't be so much of a problem because he would be able to eat shots. He gets rocked and wobbled by jabs...how is that not a chin problem?

S.K and Odins beard like this.
  8. destruction

destruction Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 26, 2009
    He lacks all of the defensive fundamentals and defensive tics you need to be an elite fighter.

But his chin is also complete and utter tripe.

When was knocked out cold by the Colombian roadsweeper, and carried out of the ring in a stretcher after 1 minute and 30 seconds- that was due to no punch resistance at all. The Colombian roadsweeper then faded into obscurity and retired- Prescott! Lack of chin to that extent is genetic.

On the way up he was knocked down by numerous British level opponents who were selected for not being punchers, who were only there in the ring with him to lose. Its clear his team knew not to put him in with any punchers because of the risk of being sparked, even at the British level he started out at.

Odins beard likes this.
  9. ashishwarrior

Apr 19, 2010
    How is his defence not that bad please elaborate

10. Mc2

Mc2 Member Full Member

Mar 6, 2017
    Ashish i m pretty sure your name only turn up in amir khan threads. Anyway...his defence isnt great. Its not exactly mayweathers etc. Theres a difference between saying great defence and not that bad. So bear that in mind before it becomes i said his defence is masterful.

He doesnt get hit more than most people fighting at that level. Most of them get hit. A lot of the time amir uses his offence as his defence anyway. And up to a certain level its usually good enough. Hes not a counter puncher. Its easy to look at counter punchers and say they have great defence. But what amir does is tries to use his offence to put the opponent on the back foot. He does it less since he left roach. Thats not bad defence...its just he fights on the offence. Its about risk/reward. They figured that the reward was greater than the risk. It was. Amir doesnt have the timing to be a counter puncher on the back foot.

Under virgil. Hes settled down on his offence. His defence in the canelo fight was actually pretty decent. Canelo landed less than he usually does. Because khan kept giving him lateral movement. Been a while since i seen the fight but i m pretty sure that was the case. He didnt run...but he did use lateral movement. It caused canelo problems. Thats not someone with bad defence. Had his hands up when canelo was throwing. Was constantly moving away from canelos best shot to stop him getting leverage. Thats not someone with bad defence.

Then he gets caught because as i said his awareness isnt good. Its terrible. Always been the worst aspect of his game. But it wasnt down to his defence against canelo. He didnt actually get hit much. He just has lapses...end up costing him because hes no awareness of the punches coming. But against canelo virgil sent him out there with good defence...and he did carry it out until he lapsed once or twice. But lets be fair here...canelo was much bigger/stronger than him. He was afterall a heavy favourite.

Its a bit like saying brook has no defence because golovkin put a beating on him. When brooks defence is actually pretty good.

11. BigDoofus

BigDoofus Active Member Full Member

Apr 4, 2016
    You've only been a member for 5 days

Odins beard likes this.
  12. kevinreid001

kevinreid001 Punchdrunk101 Full Member

Nov 1, 2012
    Or it's he is not that good he is extremely overrated .u watch fights he isn't strong enough in punches or in general to keep guys off him he always does this shove he gets away with any time he steps up he gets badly hurt
    His best win was maidana who overrated and a complete shot Judah or feather fisted Paulie Fact is he just isnt that good

IMO brook beats him bad just coz strength power and timing he may be fast but even so he looks slowing it's a matter time brook catches him it still amazes me he think she he a side gettin a beating anytime u step up is no a side

ashishwarrior likes this.
  13. Mc2

Mc2 Member Full Member

Mar 6, 2017
    Na mate its a new account but been on for a few years.

14. ashishwarrior

Apr 19, 2010
    Your rolling a turd in glitter I'm afraid
    You said khans defence in the canelhoe bout was good he was taking body shots which allowed him right down
    I don't class keeping space/ distance as good defence

Your point about kell getting beat up lol
    Did khan try and meet how centre ring did he back him up at all
    And as for me posting in souly khan threads not true but I do like to keep the facts relevant in this self entitled lying kunts smoke and mirrors career
    So alt boy which old account have you spawned from

15. yesihavearm2

yesihavearm2 ESB Chinchecker Full Member

May 30, 2008
    Not in the slightest.

If Brook had been KO'd by Prescott, Garcia and Canelo and knocked down by people like Limmond and Gomez prior to the Golovkin fight, then maybe you would have a case.

Cally likes this.