Anthony Joshua: best Commonwealth heavyweight champion in last 2 decades?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by IntentionalButt, Sep 13, 2015.

1. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    :think Going all the way back to Lennox's reign (which ended in 1993, when Joshua was a toddler, with the WBC proclaiming The Lion the world heavyweight champion after Bowe threw his belt in the bin, with Lennox thus abandoning the lesser prestige of being Commonwealth & Lonsdale outright champ and creating a domestic power vacuum as he moved on to greener pastures)

His competition includes:

Henry Akinwande
    Scott Welch
    Julius Francis
    Danny Williams
    Michael Sprott
    Matt Skelton
    Martin Rogan
    Sam Sexton
    Dereck Chisora
    Tyson Fury
    David Price
    Lucas Browne

How does the Joshua that blitzed Cornish fare h2h against the Commonwealth HW champ versions of all of the above?

I think he could well run the gauntlet a perfect twelve-zip (12).

2. LordSouness

LordSouness Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Joshua or Fury, for sure, yes.

I reckon Joshua will go on to do greater things though, so I'd say he Joshua.

3. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Yeah, probably, although we'll all be reaching for the stop-press button if Fury does the impossible on the 24th of next month.

I was thinking about that today - if Fury beat Wlad, i'd still pick Joshua to beat him if that was his first defence!

4. moparfan

moparfan ESB's glass jawed fraud Full Member

Jul 13, 2012

Henry Akinwande........KO4
    Scott Welch................KO2
    Julius Francis...............KO1
    Danny Williams............KO1
    Michael Sprott.............KO2
    Matt Skelton...............KO4
    Martin Rogan...............KO3
    Sam Sexton................KO3
    Dereck Chisora............KO4
    Tyson Fury..................KO3
    David Price..................KO1
    Lucas Browne..............KO3

5. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006

Bold proclamation, mo!

THREE WHOLE GUYS take him into the deep waters of the 4th?

Nobody has done it yet. :bart

6. Sugar 88

Sugar 88 The Empire Struck Back Full Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Fury is the only one on that list I feel you could make a case for but I'd pick him to eat those 12.

7. moparfan

Jul 13, 2012
    Is that a crack at Kingpin...???

8. CST80

CST80 Liminal Space Autochthon Staff Member

Nov 23, 2013
    I wouldn't write off a disciplined Wilder KOing/UDing everyone of them either. Now let me put my helmet on and duck for cover.:yep

9. UnleashtheFURY

UnleashtheFURY D'oh! Full Member

Sep 29, 2012
    Too early... Calm down guys. Joshua is a definitive blue chipper, along with Parker but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

10. moparfan

Jul 13, 2012
    Key word: disciplined

11. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    No worries there; IMO Fury ought to be as much a wide dog as Berto.

...and if he somehow plucks the cottontail from his scally, yes, he'll be as much a candidate as ever there's been to hot-potato in his first defense unless he scrapes the very bottom of the barrel of remotely viable contenders.

I do feel like Fury would've stopped the Highlander of yesterday, but maybe not in under two minutes' time. AJ, on the other hand, probably takes out the 14-0 Del Boy of Fury vs. Chisora I comfortably inside schedule.

So comparing the versions that actually captured the Commonwealth title, I'd say Joshua is a different class altogether than Fury. Comparing the Joshua that beat Cornish yesterday with Fury now (improved as much as can be done in the last 4 years, all of whatever his potential fully realized, and poised to contend for a world title) I still think Joshua is the more potent h2h force and would topple Fury at the moment (as well as beat more top heavyweight contenders, and beat the rest in common in more dominating fashion)

12. UnleashtheFURY

UnleashtheFURY D'oh! Full Member

Sep 29, 2012
    Yet he's resorted to facing guys like Molina, and Duhaupas... Go figure. But he beats Fury, Chisora, and Akinwande who proved himself against far better competition than Stiverne. You've done messed up boy, you've unleashed the FURY!!!!!! :admin

13. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Yeah, I'll go with that; still, we haven't seen Joshua fight anyone yet, not really. Cornish is ok. So i'd hold back on the ticker-tape just a little while longer, personally.

EDIT: Delete that post that interrupted our chat please IB. It's fine post, but that's not on.

14. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    Nope. Just pointing out that nobody save Jason Gavern and Konstantin Airich has even made it round 3 (and they both didn't even make it halfway into that)

15. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    Eh...don't think my thread's premise is getting too far ahead.

With all due respect to Akinwande, Welch, Francis, Williams, Sprott, Skelton, Rogan, Sexton, Chisora, Price and Browne - we aren't exactly disrespecting a murderer's row of world beaters here by elevating a decorated amateur, gold Medalist and physically gifted marvel like Joshua as the class of the post-Lewis era of Commonwealth titlists in the unlimited class.

The only argument would be Fury, and opinions are fairly split down the middle as to whether Joshua has more upside than him (or indeed, may already be his better or at least equal).