Anthony Joshua vs Sonny Liston

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by BrutalForeman, Dec 3, 2020.

1. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Sonny would intimidate Joshua. Bully him and knock him out. Size doesn't have anything to do with it. Show muscles won't beat Liston.

2. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    How many fights did Liston have when he had his jaw broken by Marshall?

3. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Maybe because Liston is more skilled, a better boxer, hit just as hard likely harder, better jab, better stamina, and an overall better fighter?

4. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Did his jaw get stronger with more fights ? Do calcium deposits increase bone density through boxing experience ?

5. Eddie Ezzard

Eddie Ezzard Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 19, 2016
    Just the one. :)

Tin_Ribs and LoadedGlove like this.
  6. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    Add "way" to "more skilled", "better boxer", "better jab", "better stamina", and "overall better fighter" and I completely agree.

Fury would have fallen down and gotten stopped, Ruiz wiped out...these guys couldn't compete with Liston. Though I think my estimation of Fury will rise if he gets past Wilder again and Joshua.

Pedro_El_Chef and swagdelfadeel like this.
  7. RulesMakeItInteresting

Mar 23, 2019
    I admire many of your posts, my friend, but hey Ali got his jaw broken and never got counted out.

swagdelfadeel likes this.
  8. mr. magoo

Jan 3, 2007
    Thank you and likewise I admire yours. But Ali’s jaw was broken by a true heavyweight contender. Liston’s jaw was broken by a light heavyweight gate keeper.. do you not think that if Joshua got some of his Sunday shots on Liston that they’d cause damage ?

9. Toney F*** U

Toney F*** U Boxing junkie Full Member

Oct 16, 2019
    Lol based on what? Liston was fighting cruiserweights and light heavyweights that weren’t even that good. Also hit harder? Liston has 72% of kos over men that were all smaller than him and weren’t very skilled. Joshua has 87% of kos over modern sized heavyweights and about a third of those were in world title bouts. Liston has done nothing and has beat no one to prove he can beat elite super heavyweights

10. RulesMakeItInteresting

Mar 23, 2019
    Absolutely he could rock Sonny. But Sonny was just a much better fighter imo.

Joshua is a very good puncher and a pretty good boxer. I don't think he would have gotten past prime Klitschko, Lewis, Bowe, or Holyfield either. Not really sure what his star victory really is...he regained the title from a person who didn't really seem to have bothered much with training for the rematch. Not sure he could have got past the same Ruiz who knocked him silly again. I kind of doubt it. And I don't think AJ will make it against Fury either, though I imagine he might make the distance.

No offense to fans of AJ. He's a very good fighter.

mr. magoo likes this.
  11. mr. magoo

Jan 3, 2007
    yeah that’s reasonable

12. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    When you get hit with your mouth open that makes it more susceptible to getting a broken jaw. The accounts I've read stated that Sonny got caught laughing at Marshall and paid for it. He didn't quit though he may have been a shade green Liston was a hungry fighter.

13. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    At the end of the day, Liston was a fighter and a true hard man. Joshua is an underwear model who thought boxer would be a cute occupation to list on his socials.

14. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I was looking for you to chime in.

15. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    You have a point.

Toney F*** U likes this.