Are modern boxers really fitter than in previous eras?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by ribtickler68, Mar 13, 2014.

1. TBooze

TBooze Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Most fighters from past eras fought more often and lacked the advances that medicine and experience has taught us. If the likes of Marciano, Dempsey, Ali or Armstrong fought in this era they would be heavier, probably quite a bit heaver, would fight less and would be as good or indeed better than anyone in their weight classes.

That also helps explain why fighters seem to go on for longer than in the past.

ribtickler68 likes this.
  2. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    It's not a good question IMO although I understand why people ask it.

Boxers are precision athletes at the sharp end. They're well trained for what they do whether that's an extremely low workrate over 40 rounds or a high work rate over 12 rounds, or whatever is in between.

I do think that there are advances in nutrition etc., that have definitely helped modern fighters though. Not using brandy to "fortify" a fighter is one example of hideous science that has been banished in more enlightened times.

3. thistle1

thistle1 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 30, 2006
    15 & 20 year careers T and fighting much more frequent IS a helluva long career.

how is 12 - 15 year careers fighting infrequently longer?

George Crowcroft likes this.
  4. ribtickler68

ribtickler68 Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 27, 2013
  5. I Know Everythi

I Know Everythi Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 12, 2014
    Compare today's heavyweight division to the old divisions and you see back then was much better

6. THEBESTEVA

THEBESTEVA Member Full Member

Nov 22, 2013
    some but i would argue that alot of the older fighters were tougher

7. SILVER SKULL 66

SILVER SKULL 66 Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 6, 2013
    NO:-(, The old timers were a lot tougher, stronger, more stamina, grit, had more tenacity, and more will to win, and they didn't have peds, creatine, roids, and all of that other hippie, dippie, bull****...

Plus they fought on steak and eggs, chopping trees, and running on pavement , with combat boots on, and fighting 30 , 40 rounds, with half their face falling off before it was stopped:deal

Guy's these days have no balls, they pad their records, fighting taxi drivers, and bums, forklift operator's , tomato cans, holding out for the big fraud fight, then get caught juicing, they fight 12 rounds at most, and sometimes the POS, ref if a guy gets a papercut...

rinsj likes this.
  8. demigawd

demigawd Boxing Addict Full Member

May 1, 2006
    Like all things, it's a matter of the "haves" and the "have nots". The big time millionaire boxers who have full-time strength and conditioning coaches, dedicated sports scientists, and personal chefs certainly will have a fitness advantage over boxers from way back when. But your average up and coming boxer is probably not training much differently than boxers have been training for the last two hundred years - lots of running, lots of hitting stuff, lots of calisthenics and varying amounts of sparring.

9. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    I don`t think modern fighters are in better condition than fighters from past eras. I actually think the reverse may be true. Fighter may lift weights more and in some cases be more heavily muscled. That is not a true indication of condition.

Boxingfan712, rinsj and ribtickler68 like this.
  10. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Ridin' the rails... Full Member

Jul 25, 2015
    This is one where the old timers were definitely better. Simply can't compare to a high paced 15 rounder.

Knowledge and its acquisition are better. But knowledge does not mean application.

robert ungurean likes this.
  11. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Older fighters going up to the early 80's were in better shape. Then it started its decline IMO

12. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Andy Ruiz would teach Marciano a few things about fitness!

13. GOAT Primo Carnera

GOAT Primo Carnera Member of the PC Fan Club Full Member

Jan 28, 2018
    I think so too. If something is missing with the fighters of today, its dedication.

14. MyHairlineIsGone

MyHairlineIsGone New Member banned Full Member

Sep 15, 2019
    Modern heavyweights are fat. Heavyweights before 1960's weren't heavyweights by modern standards. The heavyweights between 1970's to the early 2000's were in better shape compared to current heavyweights. In other weight divisions the boxers are in basically the same type of shape.

15. Big Red

Big Red Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 29, 2011