Australian Boxing/SM Memorial thread

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by stiflers mum, Mar 3, 2018.

1. UnleashtheFURY

UnleashtheFURY D'oh! Full Member

Sep 29, 2012
    This content is protected

How far could Corbett have gone had he decided to pursue a boxing career earlier and stick with it? Went 4-0 in the sweet science as it stands. Not really a whole lot of competition for him domestically. I think he could have gone on to be a solid fringe contender at CW maybe winning a title if the stars aligned. Absolutely beast of a fighter in his younger days.

PIRA and DONT B SCARED like this.
  2. DONT B SCARED

DONT B SCARED Pimpin Aint Easy Full Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Yeah Corbett was a beast with fight ending power in both hands,I went and watched a lot of his fights live and I agree if he had of given boxing a real go I think he would have at least had success on the regional scene

juppity and UnleashtheFURY like this.
  3. WhataRock

WhataRock VIP Member Full Member

Jul 29, 2004
    Wasn't aware Carnage had a foray into boxing.

He was beast of a man. Carved guys up with those elbows.

Someone of his physically ability would have made a fast start.
    Was cruiser still 190 in those days?

I think he would have done well but eventually a plucky pugilist would have foiled him.

juppity and UnleashtheFURY like this.
  4. UnleashtheFURY

UnleashtheFURY D'oh! Full Member

Sep 29, 2012
    Big fan or Corbett, Tsyzu and Parr. Respect those guys a lot.

juppity likes this.
  5. juppity

juppity Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 28, 2016
    * Luke Jackson three fight deal will include two headlining at the Star as part of the
    Corporate Charity Nights , raising funds for Starlight and Beyond Blue. These will be held on Sept 28 and Dec 14. Couldn't think of two better causes to raise money . Luke great work.
    * Talented Brandon Ogilvie fighting Metro City Oct 4.
    * Herman Purcell crossing the Tasman fighting Oct 14.
    * Justis Huni and coach Mark Wilson head to Russia next to prepare for World Champ.

6. juppity

Dec 28, 2016
    * DMS Matchmaker Stuart Duncan " We have had some great local match ups in
    2019 , great fights like Telford vs Brubaker , Quinlan vs Tapia , Tsyzu vs Camilleri /
    Ritchie. Now we have Horn vs Zerafa this weekend and there is two more coming between
    now and Christmas where terms have been agreed upon and the respective promoters will
    have announcements in due course. I am tipping exciting aheads for Aust boxing . "
    Couldn't agree more Stu and wonder who it is ?
    * Brandon Ogilive vs Terry Tzouramanis headline Metro City Oct 14.
    * Fox will be showing WBSS Final Regis Prograis vs Josh Taylor Oct 26 from O2.
    The main undercard Joseph Parker vs Dereck Chisora.
    * Harry Garside on the stringent qualifying process for Tokyo.
    https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/6342118/pirouettes-and-punches-for-a-boxing-bid/
    Kings of Kombat has a great card and new venue in Melb Sept 14. The MSAC
    ( Melbourne Sports and Aquatic Centre. )
    For all video press click then fullscreen.

WhataRock, DONT B SCARED and Sandman_ like this.
  7. juppity

Dec 28, 2016
    Ferocious next move will be a world title eliminator in Oct / Nov.
    https://www.inthering.gr/single-pos...uBCl1-GTraxlofGSAvV-k3sPMrCmoYk4uPlrk7DCiagco
    Battle of Bendigo Media workout. Zerafa , Jarvis / Hornet.
    https://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.a...brNCc3uB-qoqg4_-vRlDh93C-ifvJASjprdQ4iAVlJBcY
    * Jamie Weetch hoping to fight again Oct and Liam Wilson camp starts next week for
    even Oct / Nov fight.
    * WSS final Inoue vs Donaire Tokyo Thurs Nov 7. Fox was schedule to show WSS
    Finals. However will they still commit since it will be prime time is the big question ?

DONT B SCARED and Sandman_ like this.
  8. Sandman_

Sandman_ Undisputed Full Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Qualifying for the Olympics won't be as hard as it was for Rio in 2016 but it will still be tough. I'm pretty sure the main qualification tournament is an Asia & Oceania tournament which encompasses several amateur boxing powerhouses. It used to be that all you had to do was win the Oceania tournament but those days are gone. There are also some repechage tournaments for blokes who don't qualify first up. Our guys might need them if they get bad draws at the Asia & Oceania tournament.

Glad to hear George Kambosos Jr has a world title eliminator lined up. With the local scene heating up he's better off back here if he can't get decent fights overseas on a regular basis.

Jamie Weetch would be a worthy opponent for either Daniel Lewis or Junior Tszyu. He gave Dennis Hogan a lot of trouble early on in their fight. He's a television worthy opponent. Weetch might need a couple of tune-ups first so we see him at his best.

Bring on the Battle of Bendigo! I think Horndog v Zerafa is can't miss as a headline fight. I'm pretty confident Zerafa will fight very well which means Horndog is going to have to fight better to win. That's the kind of fight I look forward to seeing.

juppity and DONT B SCARED like this.
  9. MidniteProwler

MidniteProwler Fab 4. Mayor of Aussie Boxing Full Member

Sep 19, 2012
    Who is Kambosos fighting in the eliminator?

10. WhataRock

Jul 29, 2004
    No one confirmed as per the article.

I think that's just what him and his team want as the next fight.

On his Insta he is always saying big announcement soon. Hopefully something comes off for him.

11. Sandman_

Sandman_ Undisputed Full Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Wow! What a dramatic night of Australian boxing.

Tremendous performance by Michael Zerafa. He boxed beautifully & thoroughly deserved his win. I think Horndog paid a price for the Mundine cherrypick at the back end of last year & no fight in the first half of this year. The main reason he lost was Zerafa's excellent performance but those factors didn't do him any favours.

Another highlight was Brock Jarvis' performance. He appeared to be hurt two or three times against a good opponent but still managed to produce a very consistent performance over 10 rounds. Terrific effort by him.

The H/W fight between Joe Goodall & Cristian Tsoye was a highly entertaining bomb throwing contest. Goodall was hurt badly a couple of times but still clearly won the fight, imo. Calling it a draw was a poor decision. Tsoye was incredibly tough, courageous & punched hard. He was a chance to win by kayo throughout.

Issac Hardman won a decision & the heavily hyped Andrew Hunt was held to a draw. It was a very bad night for the Glenn Rushton stable. None of his fighters registered a win. Don't think any of them will be heading back to Victoria any time soon.

First fight of the televised portion of the night featured another poor decision by the judges. Bianca Elmir recovered from a first round knockdown to get the better of Shannon O'Connell but lost a split decision. One of the judges only gave her a single round which was ridiculous. I don't like seeing things like that. It's not okay to get it that badly wrong.

juppity, red_roo, WhataRock and 3 others like this.
  12. sparta

sparta Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Won plenty coin on this one, was very confident zerafa would do the job on Horn . Horn got destroyed, horn was being overated by some people on here, show yourselves you bums.

13. WhataRock

Jul 29, 2004
    Horn bit off more than he could chew. Congrats Michael.

Sandman_ likes this.
  14. MidniteProwler

MidniteProwler Fab 4. Mayor of Aussie Boxing Full Member

Sep 19, 2012
    Good call mate. Was beautiful to see the overrated Horn get wrecked. I been saying for a long time the kid is no good.

UnleashtheFURY and sparta like this.
  15. sparta

sparta Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Cheers prowler, yep all smoke n mirrors. Some people can see through the bull****!

red_roo and MidniteProwler like this.