Australian Boxing/SM Memorial thread

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by stiflers mum, Mar 3, 2018.

1. Komaster

Komaster Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Sep 20, 2010
    just saw broadhurst is 4.50 to 1 underdog vs light. worth a cheeky $50 on broadhurst i reckon. light has been rocked by lesser guys and this is the first fight for him outside aba stadium, let alone NZ

ohwat049 and candlelitekid like this.
  2. WhataRock

WhataRock VIP Member Full Member

Jul 29, 2004
    It's always worth a look at those odds, I'd imagine he might go out a little more by fight time.
    Eventually an upset happens.

I have very little faith in Broadhurst's chin though. He just seems to get caught in bad positions and takes far flusher shots then he should.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    ohwat049 likes this.
  3. candlelitekid

candlelitekid Member Full Member

Jan 28, 2019
    Any news on the bloke fighting Hodges? I'm unfamiliar with him but looks like he's taking it seriously

4. Komaster

Sep 20, 2010
    Unless there was some serious oversight, I doubt they would have brought him in if he was a legitimate threat

candlelitekid likes this.
  5. ohwat049

ohwat049 Active Member Full Member

Sep 15, 2012
    Some very very “interesting” odds this weekend... Not saying any would get up, Brubaker by stoppage ko, tko, TD $17 (could cut tim early?????)
    Ruiz Jr on PTS $13 straight wins $2.80ish
    Povetkins $2.50 odd
    Hogans $6.50ish (I feel he’s up against it, I rate both Charlos so wish him all the best)

I have seen a few others I cant quite remember....

Even the post that mentioned bet against Browne next fight or 2... Odds will be “interesting”

Not picks, just interesting odds....
    I was thinking Ruiz jr by KO and Povetkin as small multi, I just dont know how much Povetkin has lost n havnt really had a look at who hes fighting who seems highly regarded....
    I do pick Tszyu tonight, may be bit tougher than he expected but I think he’ll pull thru, Im hoping Ruiz wins more than picking n Povetkin no idea....
    May be some value out there, maybe not, I dint have dollers to lose at moment so no bets for me....
    The guy who put the money on the draw for gallon/Hall prob still got the fridge stocked for this weekend on that payout...
    Hoping for a good seekend of fights..

6. vargasfan1985

vargasfan1985 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 8, 2008
    You think Tim gets the stoppage?

7. Inglis_1

Inglis_1 Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 4, 2018
    Depends if he actually tries to box instead of trying to take the guy's head off from the get go. He did that in his last fight and got in trouble as a result. Once he decided to work off his jab and move out of the pocket he began to have success I expect him to win but needs to fight smarter, like he did in the Flanagan fight otherwise he could find himself in some bother.

8. Komaster

Sep 20, 2010
    u keen to give us a rnd by rnd champ?

Inglis_1 likes this.
  9. Inglis_1

Inglis_1 Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 4, 2018
    Yeah all good, guess I'll do it in here or should we start a new thread?

10. Komaster

Sep 20, 2010
    yeah new one i guess if you're keen. Cheers mate

Inglis_1 likes this.
  11. ohwat049

ohwat049 Active Member Full Member

Sep 15, 2012
    Is scheduled for 12, could possibly b a late stoppage.. He may well be in for toughest night of his carear so far?? He may get caught early, cut???
    I am tipping Tszyu, didnt realise similar height n reach, may best man win really..
    Hope 3 main fights on card are good fights.. hoping a few of the overseas cards catch fire also....
    No way Brubaker wins on cards even if he does happen to pull somethn off?? Doesnt appear to be a favourite with one NSW judge...

12. DONT B SCARED

DONT B SCARED Pimpin Aint Easy Full Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Broadhurst was a good amateur prospect and could probably still win a few fights but his chin is gone and he should give it away before he gets seriously hurt.
    Brubaker was always up against it and having Fenech as his trainer probably didn't help against a quality prospect like Tszyu, who could definitely be contending for bigger titles in next 12 months

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    juppity, ohwat049 and Sandman_ like this.
  13. Sandman_

Sandman_ Undisputed Full Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Good, clinical performance from Junior Tszyu. It will be interesting to see what they do with him from here. The slow, steady approach is no doubt the plan but I think if he's to reach his full potential they will need to take a chance with him at some point and depart from the script to really go for it. Take a world title fight at home & see what he can do. The WBO title would be ideal for that.

In one sense, there is no rush because he's raking in the cash with a limitless supply of potential opponents. In another, the best fighters take that quantum leap forward at some point & you may as well attempt to do it while you're at your physical peak (i.e. mid rather than late 20's).

I thought Jack Brubaker acquitted himself well. He talked the talk & walked the walk by finishing on his feet under fire. No shame in that from my perspective. It was good to see him back himself & go for it. We don't want shrinking violets in there with Tszyu. We want guys who think they can beat him.

Trent Broadhurst should not be getting punched in the head any more. Either in real fights or sparring. He needs to consider his own health & well being.

David Light v Jai Opetaia is a fight I'd like to see to determine the best Cruiserweight from this part of the world. The winner goes on & fights for a world title. The loser could rebuild quickly with two or three wins & then do the same.

Fight of the night was Bruno Tarimo v Nathaniel May. Tarimo was a very deserving winner & well done to the judges for scoring it right.

The footballer fight? Let's just say my pre-fight assessment of Justin Hodges' potential as a professional boxer wasn't on the money.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
  14. DONT B SCARED

DONT B SCARED Pimpin Aint Easy Full Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Yeah agree with all this there is no need to rush Tszyu who should fight an international opponent next,there's a few british fighters he could beat over there or here like Sam Eggington or maybe another commenwealth fighter like Wale Omotso.
    Brubaker was brave but a level or 2 below Tszyu and he needs to move back down as the size difference was also telling and he had nothing for Tszyu who was just walking through him at the end.
    Did you think Hodges would go all right mate? I'm a QLDer but I hate the broncos and always new he was **** fighter despite all the **** he talked on the field and in lead up to this fight talking about fighting Gallen next :risas3:,I ended up loading up on him getting smashed.

15. Sandman_

Sandman_ Undisputed Full Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Hodges is a good athlete but you need to be able to take as well as throw them.

I backed Tszyu, David Light & Hodges. Like Meatloaf said, two out of three ain't bad.

juppity and DONT B SCARED like this.