BBC: Joshua v Klitschko Return To Wembley

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by JeremyCorbyn, May 9, 2018.

1. rski

rski Well-Known Member Full Member

May 12, 2013
    It was a great event and fight to be honest, so probably deserved a doc. I like the mutual respect between them and surprisingly found it entertaining. The fight itself probably won't be surpassed at heavyweight for a long time, although not up there as the best ever, as what seems to be hyped lol

Wlad deserves a lot of credit coming in there at that age and nearly pulling of the victory. It was a great win for AJ and as Wlad said, it was really his birth as a fighter as many didn't believe he was for real. I didn't that's for sure, I thought the hype took over but getting up like that to beat an old champ that was in fairly good form showed a lot on his part. That fight was very real despite all the hype.

I'm nor AJ's biggest fan as I do find him a bit cringe but I rate him as the man to beat because of what he did there. Wilder has no win close to that. AJ wins that fight unless wilder's one and only decent punch lands. I just hope there are no ducking shenanigans, it needs to happen soon, AJ can't live off the Wlad win forever.

Unforgiven likes this.
  2. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    I disagree with a couple of things here.

Firstly, I don't think Wilder-Ortiz is too far off Joshua-Klitschko. Look at what Ortiz did to Bryant Jennings a few months after Jennings gave Klitschko some issues.
    And Klitschko against AJ was coming off a 17-month lay-off, a LOSS to Fury, and his last win was the aforementioned Jennings one.
    Ortiz perhaps declined a little between the Jennings and Wilder fights too, but in this last 3 year period he's certainly on the same sort of level as Wladimir. I think.

Secondly, I rate Joshua's win over Parker as something well worthy of praise. Parker may not have been the caliber of fighter as Klitschko was, but he's 26 years old, not 41, and a winning fighter (albeit some close decisions).
    Credit to Joshua for that win. I don't think Joshua can be accused of living off the Klitschko win with a win over Parker, who I'd rate close to Joshua and to Wilder, based on available evidence.

rski likes this.
  3. Cally

Cally Sand...sand... nothing but sand! Full Member

Sep 12, 2015
    Now now, butt... Lol

4. rski

rski Well-Known Member Full Member

May 12, 2013
    Some fair points I'd have to agree with. I still think Wlad has been his best win and when all said and done it might even be seen as his career best win. Seems like a stretch but if AJ beats everyone else handily, a big stretch I know, Wlad will have been the only fighter to get him in that state. Which shows Wlad, although 41 was in decent form, better than any challenger available. I just rate Wlad in that fight, he was brilliant, using all his experience and presenting AJ with some serious problems. I know he was inactive and lost to fury but I'm convinced he was better in this fight, it's not a given that fury would have won the rematch imo.

5. Oneirokritis

Oneirokritis The Scourge of Stupid Idiots. Full Member

Dec 18, 2015
    Maybe he meant the post-retirement phase of his life.

Either that, or he has the official role of helping everyone to get home safe and sound whenever Joshua fights at Wembley in the future. :sisi1