Bernard Dunne v Reidar Walstad(free stream Tonight/Today)

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by BigEars, Jun 22, 2007.

1. BlueApollo

BlueApollo Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 19, 2007
    Nasty cut on Walstad to open the 7th, clash of heads.

2. nervousxtian

nervousxtian Trolljegeren Full Member

Aug 6, 2005
    **** that cut is bad... Vitali vs Lewis bad.. just ****ing bad.

3. BlueApollo

May 19, 2007
    Walstad's cutman is a f*cking hero, that thing stopped bleeding. Too many combinations from Dunne though, even though his defense is shaky.

4. BlueApollo

May 19, 2007
    Walstad's ready to go...

5. nervousxtian

Aug 6, 2005
    Walstad is a tough SOB. I'm impressed by both these guys, just a good action fight.

6. BlueApollo

May 19, 2007
    No kidding, I spoke waaay to soon. One-sided but terrific fight anyhow.

7. nervousxtian

Aug 6, 2005
    FOTY candidate for sure. Really good fight. Lots of heart, skill, a nasty cut, good crowd.

Thanks for the link, enjoyed the fight!

8. BlueApollo

May 19, 2007
    BigEars, I owe you one for that link. That was an "absorbing" fight indeed.

9. nervousxtian

Aug 6, 2005
    118-111, 116-112, and lastly 115-113 all for the winner.. and

STILL champion Bernard Dunne!

115-113 is a little too close, but the right guy won.

10. BigEars

BigEars Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 30, 2006
    Ya Dunne's fight are always like that , I think it's the atmostphere that does it .

Dunne has gone back to old habbits in terms of keeping his hands way too low . He had stopped doing that a bit in his last two fights but the way he was tonight he was begging to be chinned .

Still Dunne isn't just popular here because he's successful , he's an entertainer and always gives the crowd their monies worth .

I think if the situation calls for it he would box more carefully .

Anyway yeee are welcome for the link , the more people that see Dunne the better .

11. pipe wrenched

pipe wrenched ESB ELITE SQUAD Full Member

Mar 31, 2007
    BigEars - Thank you very much for the hook up. I really enjoyed the action. You're boy dunne looked good int there and that was a great fight to watch.
    Hope some day some how i can repay the favor. Thanks again.

12. john garfield

john garfield Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 5, 2004
    I just a ran across this thread. Sorry I couldn't see the fight; I'm in the U.S.

I got to know Bernard when he was living in Santa Monica and training at the Wild Card gym. A terrific, fiesty, mischievious kid -- knew every "accidental trick" to get by with. Had great hand speed and ring generalship.

A poster on here mentioned how he held his hands low. He did that sparring then, too, but could really crack with both hands -- threw blazing combinatioins, especially double and triple left hooks to the head and body.

Sadly, he had brittle hands (had just gotten married) and went back to Ireland to recuperate, and never came back.

One of the things he did -- an eccentricity -- (that I always thought he'd pay for one day) was backing away after a clinch and throwing both arms up in the air to reset. Has he broken that habit?

13. BlueApollo

May 19, 2007
    Haha, nope.

It wasn't a result of the move you're talking about, more fatigue and keeping his left too low, but Walstad drilled him with a nasty overhand right in the 12th. He wasn't in "severe" trouble, but he had to hang on for a good thirty or forty seconds to clear his head. Overall though, he looked tremendous, beautiful combinations and body work.

14. john garfield

john garfield Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 5, 2004
    Thanks for the update, BA. Hope at some point he fights again in the U.S. He used to have wars in the gym with Nate Campbell, Israel Vasquez, and "Famoso" Hernandez.