Best legacy ever- which fighter?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Mike_b, Jan 9, 2021.

1. Loudon

Loudon Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 7, 2012
    That’s because he’s in his 40’s and he’s winding down.

You can’t expect anything else at this stage of his career.

2. bbjc

bbjc Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 25, 2012
    I,d say from the modern era
    Its defo ali. No one comes close as well. Anyone that has liston, frazier and foreman on their record is hard to match imo. Add to that...the amount of good fighters on his record he made to look average. Guys like floyd patterson we,re good fighters...hes practically made him look average at best.

I dont think theres been another guy thats put three guys that should have dominated a division for years down to second place. Liston would have and should have dominated for longer if there was no ali. Same with frazier and foreman. I m not sure anyone could have stopped them apart from each other eventually without ali. Who would have beat liston without ali? Same with frazier and foreman barring each other.

Unbelievable record. Cant think of anyone in the modern era thats been able to stop 3 guys as good as them in their tracks like that.

C.J., Loudon and Bujia like this.
  3. Bujia

Bujia Active Member Full Member

Jul 2, 2020
    To be fair, he didn’t stop Frazier in his tracks. Foreman did. He beat a shopworn Frazier a year later.

Still, he beat 3 fighters who were arguably top 10 of all time in the same division. Not sure who else can lay claim to that.

4. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Sugar Ray Leonard is up there. He was a guy who fought some many greats and had such a great reputation early that he could retire just a few years after his first title win and he was a solid great. Many other guys could not do that.

Mike_b likes this.
  5. BCS8

BCS8 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    I love that guy ... but no. Not even if he'd gotten the official decisions vs Canelo.

Loudon and Aussie Invader like this.
  6. bbjc

bbjc Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Fair point regarding frazier. Forgot that foreman had got to him first. Even just looking down his list of names outwith them 3 as well. His cvs full of guys who could really fight a lot of them guys he made to look totally average as well.

7. C.J.

C.J. Boxings Living Legend revered & respected by all Full Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Like Mayweather he got several decisions he did not deserve. Also he is not the most fan friendly boxer. I've heard he's not too well liked in texas to say the least, & that he deserved. To me personally he is not Sugar Ray he is
    Saccharin Ray merely a substitute. Only one Sugar Ray for me Mr Robinson

8. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft 'Snarky Little Gobshite' - IntentionalButt Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Alexis Arguello has to be up there with the best legacies ever. He's unanimously respected; his country's GOAT; literally never seen anybody hate him; heaps of people's favourite and one of regarded by everyone as one of the best of both his era and all-time.

From a perspective of having basically no haters, he has to be the guy among ATGs.

Rubber Glove Sandwich and Mike_b like this.
  9. JSpizz

JSpizz J Full Member

Jan 8, 2021
    Low key AJ if he beats Fury. Could be on his way into the convo... 2x unified & undisputed heavyweight champ and he's pretty squeaky clean and presentable, which seems to be in your criteria

10. Guru88

Guru88 Member Full Member

Sep 6, 2020