Better defense: Jack Dempsey vs Joe Frazier

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by 70sFan865, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Rumsfeld

Rumsfeld Moderator Staff Member

Jul 19, 2004

I get what you're saying, but I have to say I actually thought Joe did some pretty good stuff defensively in that 2nd Foreman fight while it lasted. (Not that this detracts from your greater point).

roughdiamond likes this.
  2. Manos de mierda

Manos de mierda New Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2018
    That is interesting. I personally always thought Frazier was a bit too predictable with his weave, but maybe I'm being unfair to him. I'll have to rewatch some of his fights to reassess my opinion.

As others have noted, it might also be down to Dempsey using a wider variety of footwork more so than him being more erratic in his weave per se.

3. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    I'd say close but Demps pips it .

RockyJim likes this.
  4. The Undefeated Lachbuster

The Undefeated Lachbuster I check this every now and then Full Member

Jul 18, 2018
    What "nostalgia" would I have for Dempsey?

This content is protected

Here's a good place to start. Demspey shows very competent control of distance and movement in the Willard fight, if you want to point to a singular fight. Also if you read "championship fighting" Dempsey goes into detail explain his defense.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  5. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Yes I know Dempsey could fight. Slipping shots from Brennan, Firpo and Willard would be a bit easier than Ali, Quarry, Ellis and even Big Buster Mathis had more speed and coordination than Dempsey's comp.

I admit that I haven't seen Dempsey pretitle run so maybe there are some guys but not on the film thats available.
    Here is Cus explaining the flaws in Jack Dempsey's defense. Around the 21 minute mark

6. ETM

Mar 19, 2012

This is a good indicator.

7. ETM

Mar 19, 2012
    I agree. I would like to view some pre title fights I've read about so I could get a gauge on some of his opponents.

8. HOUDINI

HOUDINI Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 18, 2012
    Dempsey and it’s not close. Dempsey was very quick both of hand and foot. Joe lacked foot speed. He said so himself. Thus Dempsey could close distance faster.

Dempsey’s low crouch was not problematic in terms of being more susceptible in getting hit by a jab. Head movement allowed Dempsey (as well as Frazier) slip punches as the moved forward.

Finally a great offense boosts ones defense. Dempsey had KO power in both fists and had great coordination with both fists. Frazier only had one punch he could use with great effectiveness and lacked this coordination. A huge flaw.

9. 70sFan865

70sFan865 Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 30, 2019
    So, in short:

Frazier had better head movement. His reactions were better against good quick boxers.

Dempsey had better, quicker footwork. He was tougher to hit cleanly by power punches and he could easier get out from danger zone.

I can't say who had better defense. Dempsey would probably struggle more against Ali jab but at the same time I doubt he would be timed so easily by Foreman. It's not an easy thing, one can be better in certain situation than the other.

10. mrkoolkevin

mrkoolkevin Never wrestle with pigs or argue with fools Full Member

Jan 30, 2014
    I recall seeing a quote (from either a trainer or former boxer) claiming that a big problem with Frazier’s bob-and-weave was that he usually ended up returning with his head to the center line when he finished. Meant to go back and watch the footage for myself but never got around to it.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    Manos de mierda likes this.
  11. ETM

Mar 19, 2012
    Frazier waswgood at tucking his chin and the punches that often made contact were high on his head. He had a rock for a head but he could roll and slide with the shots. Even though his opponent is making contact he can't stop Frazier from moving in. He protected that chin better than people think.

12. Rspen46

Rspen46 Member Full Member

Jun 6, 2013
    They are very close, Joe might have a very slight edge.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  13. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Drunkie Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    I think Dempsey's could look a lot better, but was much more tempramental, with him abandoning it at times

roughdiamond likes this.
  14. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Drunkie Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    I find it funny, for all the comparisons and similarities between Tyson and Dempsey, Tyson really didn't have Dempsey's inside game, which was one of Dempsey's big strengths.

I think Tyson was a better athlete, but Dempsey's fighting style was a lot more versatile.

roughdiamond likes this.
  15. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Yeah, Tyson's inside game is overrated imo. His right hook to the ribs then uppercut to the head was vicious tho.

I don't think I'd be wrong in saying no one has the same level of speed, technical skill and power at mid range. Outside of maybe Louis

roughdiamond likes this.