Billy Joe Saunders - Super Middleweight

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Scissors, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 30, 2017
    Years of inactivity, poor opposition, undisciplined lifestyle and generally being a lazy cnut has wasted his talent. Jimmy Tibbs showed him the door in 2016, Adam Booth ‘wasn’t right’ for him in 2017, then it was over to Dom Ingle in 2018, then it was Ben Davison (who previously worked his corner when Tibbs refused due to his poor training habits) and finally back to PED Ingle... the bloke is obviously a nightmare and has signed with Hearn for a pension boosting cash out.

2. ryanm8655

ryanm8655 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 23, 2008
    Pretty dull. BJS timing off, no head movement and getting hit pretty easily but just about doing enough to win. Looked tired by the second half of the fight. Stepped it up in the 11th in terms of output and venom in the shots and put the guy down three times before it was stopped.

He didn’t look fit, looked fleshy and it showed in the performance. As it has many times in his career.

3. ryanm8655

ryanm8655 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 23, 2008
    Agree with most of that. He’s a complete waste of talent but when fit and focussed he’s excellent.

Not saying he beats Canelo but he’s got a couple of good nights still in him. He’s up there with the top guys at middleweight and should be fighting them.

4. nurological

nurological Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 25, 2012
    So I guess he didn't make millions of new fans last night? None of us saw that coming

5. Bridie mcmahon

Bridie mcmahon Active Member banned Full Member

Sep 10, 2015
    Billy joe is a very good fighter top 5 p4p in Britain imo..but me personally i don't like him and will openly rejoice when he gets whooped! And I'm happy to admit that.

Brixton Bomber and nurological like this.
  6. Scissors

Scissors Posts are sponsored by Matchroom Full Member

Feb 11, 2018
    Top 5 P4P in Britain based on a win over David Lemieux 2 years ago? Who’s best win was probably N’Dam? I’m not having it. He’s got a good skill set but until he proves it in the ring he’s not a top British fighter for me.

7. Brixton Bomber

Brixton Bomber Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Sep 21, 2013
    He started it at SMW because he lacks dedication.

If you know what you're looking at, you can see that he is very fleshy at the weight. At 154 he'd be lean, and have much better cardio.

Fhaggis likes this.
  8. Brixton Bomber

Sep 21, 2013
    Spot on.

BJS is too indecisive and too inconsistent. He loves the money but not the sacrifice.

kojak likes this.
  9. Bridie mcmahon

Bridie mcmahon Active Member banned Full Member

Sep 10, 2015
    Just my opinion scissors but between 5-10 is fair for me

10. Brixton Bomber

Sep 21, 2013
    I suppose it's the usual "Bill looked mediocre, but that's because the opponent wasn't up to much. Now if that was Canelo he was facing, different story..."

TonyHayers likes this.
  11. kojak

kojak Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 22, 2012
    Been said before, he loves a pound note. It's probably to his advantage the worse he looks, the more likely he is to get the Canelo fight and a bumper payday.

That's ideally what he is holding out for, I think he would retire after that if he got the fight and lost.

12. MorvidusStyle

MorvidusStyle Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 11, 2017
    I think people need to put an asterisk on this one. He had a late visa so probably did have the jetlag and insomnia problems described. A normal person can be significantly hampered from jetlag/not sleeping, so trying to box at the highest level is going to be an issue.

BitPlayerVesti likes this.
  13. TonyHayers

TonyHayers Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Nov 1, 2018
    He’s got an asterisk next to every fight bar Lemieux.

14. Little brian

Little brian Active Member Full Member

Jul 21, 2019
    I'm genuinely watching ksi v logan Paul 3 before bjs vs another unknown.

15. Hattonmad

Hattonmad Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 5, 2009
    His next fight is huge. The biggest of his career. It needs to be a big name and it needs to be a big performance and win.

I personally never wanted him at SMW and wish he'd move down. The problem is he's a SMW champion and won't vacate the belt for anything less than a monster middleweight clash.

Clarence Gianni and TonyHayers like this.