brits that wasted/never fulfilled there potential

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by TIGEREDGE, Nov 19, 2009.

1. TIGEREDGE

TIGEREDGE Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 10, 2007
    which boxers from these shores really had potential but managed to fall short of what they cud achieve. paul smith jnr really is a waste. he should be a world champ now but it looks like his heart isnt truly in it

i felt ritchie woodhall could of been a lot better than he was if he had of pulled himself away from brummie and his dad. rob mccracken is another brummie who wasted his potential

dean francis could of gone all the way if it werent for his injuries

2. GazOC

GazOC Guest Star for Team Taff Full Member

Jan 7, 2005
    I think a fair bit of Woodhalls problems, particulary towards the end of his career, were due to injury as well.

TBH I don't see that much in Paul Smith, he's shown nothing to suggest he's real world class IMHO.

Dangerwood84 likes this.
  3. TBooze

TBooze Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Personally I think Woodhall more than fulfilled his potential, I never would of put him down for winning a slice of alphabet crap.

But as for the thread; Laing, Bugner and Graham are of course the cliche stand outs.

I always figured Honeyghan should of done more after beating Curry.

Chris Pyatt never quite lived up to the hype, and Conteh should of done more with his talent.

Chris Okoh seemed to me to be the real deal:scaredas:

In very recent times, Harrison has struggled with his demons.

4. Jack Dempsey

Jack Dempsey Legend Full Member

Jun 13, 2005
    Dare I say Fraudley????

Dangerwood84 likes this.
  5. GazOC

Jan 7, 2005
    George Collins.....;)

6. cotto20

cotto20 Boxing Addict Full Member

May 31, 2009
    i remember paul as a amature he was world class, pascal could only defeat him by 1 point in the final of the commenweaith games and i remember reading in boxing news paul had a broken thumb. Every one was expecting him to be a world champion, but he just looks like a average fighter now who was lucky to be british champion.

Another fighter is jason cook from wales that guy was as strong as a ox and could punch like a maul but never ended up doing much

Also i expected big things from david doolan, but he looks like he is set for a career on the british scene, any one know what has happend to former to amature and england number 1 ricardo samms?

Dangerwood84 likes this.
  7. Dan684

Dan684 Dave's Stepdad Full Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Pyatt could have done a little more with his talent I feel

Considering how brilliant Conteh was his ahcievements don't reflect this nor does he get the full recognition

Paul Smith is overated for me Gaz for me I dont see him as fair a fair choice one here. He's at his levl now so he's 'achieved' for me, he gets Euro then he's over-achieved

Dangerwood84 likes this.
  8. cotto20

May 31, 2009
    I would take herol graham off! he never wasted his talents, they got him to a british, commenwealth, european and 3 world title shots, he beat vinny pazienza, top amature chris johnson, mark kaylor, ayub kalule and lindell homes and, tuck mike mccallum to the wire in a fight i had him winning and he was avoided by a old hagler, nigel benn, chris eubank and steve collins. Also even when he was finished he was boxing the ears of charles brewer even dropping him twice only to be let down by old age and his chin

9. GazOC

Jan 7, 2005
    A world class amatuer is one thing, but he's never come close to showing anything like that level of ability in the pros.

Dangerwood84 likes this.
  10. TBooze

Oct 22, 2006

And yet he should of done more, he had that much potential...

11. TIGEREDGE

TIGEREDGE Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 10, 2007
    he's shown it in his earlier fights. the trainers on contendor were raving about him. pepe correra said he should be a world champ.

Dangerwood84 likes this.
  12. TBooze

Oct 22, 2006
    Hey, leave Georgie alone, he lived up to his potential, he won me a fair bet losing to Jacobs!

Some people's obsessions with big number unbeaten records...;)

But as for wasted potential, what about little brother Tony? He looked good at 17...

13. GazOC

Jan 7, 2005

And then he struggles to a split decision against David Banks......

14. cotto20

May 31, 2009
    yes a world title is missing thats it, even with a world title he would not of got the huge fights, look at mike mccallum he is still very bitter to this day that he never got the ppv fights against hagler, hearns, duran or learnard. Herol would of had that same problem he would of never got the huge british super fights against benn, eubank, collins or watson cos he made world class fighters look like amatures and the public never liked his style. Shame i would of still liked to of seen him get that wba from mccallum

15. cotto20

May 31, 2009
    thats always been one of paul smiths biggest problems blowing hot and cold