brits that wasted/never fulfilled there potential

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by TIGEREDGE, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Furey

Furey EST & REG 2009 Full Member

Oct 18, 2009
    I remember watching that fight thinking what the **** is going on.

Some fighters just either leave there best days in the amateurs or turn over too late and don't adjust to the Pro game. Paddy Barnes was mentioned in this thread and he's another case of this as he was a superb Amateur.

Guru88 and Brixton Bomber like this.
  2. Ken Ashcroft

Ken Ashcroft Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Joe fought back to back fights with Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier and then later on had a title shot against Ali in a rematch.Losing all 3 fights by decision, I think Bugner did as well as could be expected against those ATGs so I don’t know whether you can really say Joe didn’t fulfil his potential? I mean you wouldn’t have thought that he should have beaten the likes of Ali and Frazier, would you?

TED 822, Bob Flaps and Noel857 like this.
  3. Journey Man

Journey Man Journeyman always. Full Member

Aug 22, 2009
    I remember betting on that thinking the odds were bonkers making Masher the favourite and then watched it with my head in my hands, ridiculous. I always wanted Paddy to do well but just wasn’t a pro boxer.

Kevin Mitchell should have been a world champ for me.

EJC83 likes this.
  4. Mike Cannon

Mike Cannon Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Vernon Sollas.
    He seemed to have it all, he could box like dream, had real firepower in both fists, fast, clever, noting he couldn't do, on his best day fought like a small SRR, then almost over night....... keep well.

davidjay and Noel857 like this.
  5. SeanyTee

SeanyTee New Member banned Full Member

Jul 12, 2023
    Luke Campbell for sure

Shane Mcguigan said if he'd have had Campbell from the start he could've made him a 3 weight world champ

Ludicrous why he turned bro at Lightweight, when he was a Olympic gold medalist at Bantamweight!

6. EJC83

EJC83 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 20, 2019
    Andrew Selby. Just very badly managed by both himself and later Sanigar. A genuine generational talent for British boxing wasted.

LeavemealoneKoooogs and Beale like this.
  7. ALN93

ALN93 Well-Known Member banned Full Member

May 12, 2023
    Luke Campbell definitely. They should have started him out as a featherweight.

He fought the weight below Lomachenko at the 2012 Olympics but when they both made their pro debuts a year later Campbell was 2 weights higher than Loma. Bizarre.

Proved himself at world level against Linares then had to wait about 8 months to fight a crap 6 rounder. He was unlucky with the WBC situation as Loma shouldn’t have been put in for the vacant belt. Was then due to fight Fortuna for the vacant title when Loma got made franchise champion but COVID hit.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2023
  8. Bob Flaps

Bob Flaps Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 30, 2019
    Ali argued very strongly for Bugner when the British press was writing him off. It's kind of like Andy Murray in the last 10 years, he might only have been number 3 or 4 for most of the time, but how many countries have someone ranked that high?

Bugner just wasn't that pleasant to watch and the Henry Cooper decision ruined his name in the UK.

Noel857 likes this.
  9. TheSwan

TheSwan New Member Full Member

Mar 21, 2020
    Has Scott Fitzgerald not had a mention in here?

10. ExAirForce Jeff

ExAirForce Jeff met a black lady off tinder banned Full Member

Jul 11, 2023
    nathan gorman great nephew of the bartley gorman king of the gypsies an cousin of the gypsy king tyson fury so u no he has good genes lovely skills technical skills watch yhe fite with big sexy sean turner looked bloody world class that night ffs then looked mostly ruvbbish since wtf i blame it on his diet waste of bloody talent when he beat big sexy id have bet my motor on him wining a world title i wuld obvioisly id have lost the motor ha ha ha

11. ExAirForce Jeff

Jul 11, 2023
    This content is protected

looked bloody ammazing here so good then wot happend to him I scratch my head looked crap since this fite i dont get it

12. ALN93

ALN93 Well-Known Member banned Full Member

May 12, 2023
    :lol:

13. ExAirForce Jeff

Jul 11, 2023
    an bradley skeete was friggin excellent talent bloody fantastic marvelous fiter but only won british title no idea why

14. ExAirForce Jeff

Jul 11, 2023
    that jamie moore fella was quite handy too