Can Hughie Lewis

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by lepinthehood, Oct 10, 2021.

1. Hattonmad

Hattonmad Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 5, 2009
    I had Hughie beating Parker. The thing is though, he hasn't improved at all since then. There's an argument to say he's gotten worse.

In saying that, he was okay Saturday. Problem is his punch power is zero.

Jurgen and Scissors like this.
  2. moog

moog Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 12, 2012
    I think he has improved overall. I dont think he is as quick or quite as good at avoiding shots as heavier. But i think he has improved punch power. Hammer didnt want to know after Hughie ramped it up in the last round. He was feeling the shots. I also think Hughie is throwing more power shots and combos. The way he switched from orthodox to southpaw was very good.

Hammer was world level, prob more Euro level now. Hughie looked a couple of levels above which is a good sign.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
    joe91, Gazanta87 and Oneirokritis like this.
  3. moog

moog Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 12, 2012
    I am not sure if any of these are available for Hughie's next fight in December. But if so i think they are the sort of opponents who would be ideal next:

Helenius
    Rivas
    Martin
    Kabayel

All would be challenges on paper and he would need to fight well to win. Good learning fights, and a win over any of these would incresse his rankings with governing bodies.

kojak likes this.
  4. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor banned Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    My memory has gone - he only got pasted

Safin likes this.
  5. Safin

Safin Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Surely Hammer has never been world level. In fact, I am not sure what is meant by that term, but he has always seemed like a European title challenger sort of guy to me. He's totally passed it now.

I agree with @Hattonmad

I actually think it could be argued that he has got worse. The only thing that seems to have improved is his intent to be more aggressive - but technically, the execution is bad. He probably could have been just as aggressive, with the same technical proficiency (or incompetence, more like) as he has now, back in the Paint Dry bout, except his movement back then was fantastic.

Every Peter Fury and Hughie Fury interview is the same - yet people keep lapping it up. Look at the love Peter Fury gets on YT comments, hailed as some sort of genius trainer and a bloke who "always says it how it is, pleasure to listen to" etc. He's always improving, he's always learning, he's only 27, he's still a baby in the division, the next performance you will see a new Hughie Fury (what will that constitute, Hughie? You will have to wait and see on the night)...

I don't think he's bad but I don't rate him as highly as Mitch, either.

Wizbit1013 likes this.
  6. zulander

zulander Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 17, 2006
    Peter Fury doesn't rate him as highly as Mitch...

7. Jurgen

Sep 30, 2016
    Hughie Fury is also Mitch's greatest fan

Wizbit1013 likes this.
  8. bbjc

bbjc Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Agree i think hueys actually slightly regressing. Thought he put on a great performance against parker as well. Or as great as huey can put on anyway. His big problem was knowing when to turn his defence into offence. If they could do that...he,d be a good fighter huey.

Just a slight tactic tweak was needed. His defence was great...he just needed to know when to get in and out on parker. Should be backfoot boxing...off the jab. Then pick your moments to move in then get back out again then back to the back foot boxing. Hes never gonna be a puncher...but if you can deliver that punch without the opponent knowing when its coming...its the most powerful punch he,ll throw anyway.

9. Wizbit1013

Wizbit1013 Drama go, and don't come back Full Member

Mar 17, 2018
    Mitch is on Hughies top 5 posters resume

aaaaa and Jurgen like this.
  10. Jurgen

Sep 30, 2016
    Had a dig at Peter Fury on the Savannah Marshall thread and I do wonder where he is on Mitch's list of top trainers.

aaaaa and Wizbit1013 like this.
  11. Wizbit1013

Wizbit1013 Drama go, and don't come back Full Member

Mar 17, 2018
    Mitch really should do youtube top ten lists

aaaaa and Jurgen like this.