Canelo Alvarez v Jack Sharkey

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Seamus, Jan 14, 2022.

Alvarez v Sharkey

1. Sharkey by Dec

13 vote(s)
    40.6%
  2. Sharkey by KO (hahahahahaha)

6 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. Canelo by KO

10 vote(s)
    31.3%
  4. Canelo by Dec

3 vote(s)
    9.4%
  1. michael mullen

michael mullen Active Member Full Member

Oct 28, 2021
    Loughran & Sharkey > Clenelo...You're overrating this pampered putz!!!

2. 70sFan865

70sFan865 Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 30, 2019
    Canelo has crushing power against MWs. Sharkey and Loughran faced HWs.

Canelo is the size of Mickey Walker. Walker had crushing power at lower weights, it didn't make him hurt Sharkey despite landing on him.

cross_trainer likes this.
  3. Tonto62

Tonto62 Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Kovalev was strictly a long puncher, had a zero inside game, did not relish body shots,wasn't too difficult to tag, especially once you got inside his jab, and was seriously on the slide when Canelo beat him.All of which does not point to Canelo beating a proven heavyweight champion who has some very good scalps on his sheet

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
  4. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Having said that, if he were to beat Makabu, then it would open up a lot of interesting fantasy fights.

5. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Canelo weighed around 180 for Kovalev

This content is protected

Kovalev is around 190lb on fight night

http://basementgymboxing.blogspot.com/2014/08/sergey-kovalevs-weight-with.html

Jack Sharkey was about 200lb depending on version. Schmeling who was 188 gave him hell.

Loughran who also gave him hell was 183.

I agree Sharkey is bigger but not that much.

Walker is 10lb lighter than Canelo and he likewise gave SHarkey all he could handle.

cross_trainer likes this.
  6. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    I don't think that the comparisons with Walker are justified yet either.

Yes Walker might represent a path to success for Canelo, but he is not just some guy who stepped up from light heavy to fight Sharkey.

He had considerable success against the heavyweights of his day, outside of the Sharkey fight.

You would not be able to assume that another man his size, would make that transition with equal success.

7. cross_trainer

cross_trainer Liston was good, but no "Tire Iron" Jones Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    How big are you arguing Kovalev would be with 1920s training?

8. 70sFan865

70sFan865 Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 30, 2019
    Which means he's smaller than Sharkey and most of his best opponents. Not to mention that he's very short. Thanks for proving my point.

How many times was Canelo around 180 lbs by the way? He fought half of his career at 150 lbs and although he probably weighed more than listed, I don't find it likely that he weighed 30 lbs more.

Loghran was 186.5 lbs in their first fight when both were prime and it doesn't look like he gave him hell:

This content is protected

10 lbs is basically nothing and they were the same size in other dimensions. Sharkey fought very underwhelming fight for his standards, but he wasn't in a risk of being stopped or anything. I'm sure Canelo would frustrate unmotivated Sharkey, but he wouldn't beat him.

9. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Who compares Kovalev in any way to Sharkey ? In his prime in the mid to late 1920's, Sharkey was capable of performing on the top level for a cruiserweight , a better version of Usyk in many ways .. He was very fast, experienced, strong, had a terrific chin, could box like hell and had under rated power .. yes he was not the most consistent but unlike Buster Douglas he was no one night wonder, he could fight .. he'd destroy Canelo ..

10. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Drunkie Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    He's just a completely different style to Canelo too (especially Canelo at higher weights).

It was also a massively subpar performance by Sharkey coming off a layoff, and in no way close to his best. He hadn't fought in over a year, hadn't been past the 5th round in nearly 2 years, and looked dire in training.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
  11. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Walker-Canelo would be some good fight though.

12. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Who ever claimed that Canelo was bigger than Sharkey? Well done on running that straw man over! You sure mashed it up good!

That's his fight night weight from his own lips. If anything he has reason to understate it given his "I'm too small for middleweight" dramatics.

Tommy Loughran 183 lbs beat Jack Sharkey 202 lbs by SD in round 15 of 15
    https://boxrec.com/media/index.php/Tommy_Loughran_vs._Jack_Sharkey_(2nd_meeting)

I'm pretty darn sure that he would have a good chance to beat him because not only does he have a superlative defence, but he's got the power to gain Sharkey's respect and the speed to make it stick.

13. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Drunkie Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    I disagree with the Usyk comparison. There's definitely stuff I think Sharkey is better than Usyk with, but one of Usyk's biggest strengths was Sharkey's biggest weakness, that is Usyk's cool head.

I think Michael Hunter Jr is much closer in terms of style to Sharkey.

70sFan865 and cross_trainer like this.
  14. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    One thing worth noting is how much bigger Usyk is than Sharkey.

221/6'3/78"
    205/6'0/72"

Usyk is a weight class bigger, basically.

Seamus likes this.
  15. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    The official weights for Kovalev against Canelo haven't been released, but we do know he was given a ten pound rehydration clause - confirmed by Reyneso and Canelo himself - and he didn't breech it. Therefore, the maximum he'd have weighed on fight night is 185. Canelo on the other hand, has released his weight on the night, and it was 186 point something. I don't know why Kovalev has been brought up, but he wasn't the same size as Jack Sharkey. If anything, he was almost 20lbs smaller (going off his peak IMO, which was Schmeling I/Carnera I).

As for all the people picking Canelo KO, I'd really like to hear that reasoning. You do know it literally took either a Jack Dempsey, a Joe Louis, or a good puncher who weighed 75lbs more than Canelo to take Sharkey out.

The Walker fight is the only case that Canelo has here, but it needs to be remembered, Walker is literally a top thirty staple. Canelo isn't on that level. What's more, is that Walker proved himself massively against multiple heavyweights and Canelo just hasn't. Sharkey, on a bad day, also should've beaten Walker.

70sFan865 and cross_trainer like this.