Canelo vs. Kovalev is NOT a done deal. Well, at least for Nov. 2

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by minemax, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Angler Andrew

Angler Andrew Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 28, 2016
    Who could forget a Pro Canelo crowd in Vegas all booing Canelo and cheering Golovkin.

Serge, BCS8 and lordlosh like this.
  2. minemax

minemax Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 10, 2017
    A text version of the interview (Google-translated):

About changes with age:
    “My natural switch worked at 33 years old. It became necessary to monitor what you eat, drink, and exercise. That’s why I had a victory-defeat in the period that I studied myself. Thursday is sometimes a day off, Sunday is always. The body has become more difficult to tolerate training. "

About why continues to box:
    “I understand why I live now, thanks to my wife for giving birth to two children. Third? No, now is not an option. Then there will be no time left for anyone who has children will understand. Now, if God forbid, something happens to me, my family will not be lost. I continue to box, because there are a lot of plans, a lot of things to cover, for this we need finances. ”

About the fight with Canelo:
    “Managers communicate, but I did not sign a contract. I have not seen him yet. When I see him, we can talk about it. Do they want a fight on November 2? If so, then I will not have time to prepare 100 percent. Although, in principle, five weeks is enough for me. I am now very well recharged in Altai. Have you been to Altai? Highly recommend. Therefore, if we sign a contract for a duel in five to six weeks, I will agree. Why not? If there are less than four weeks to prepare, then there certainly is no point in going out. ”
    If not Canelo, then? ..
    “We all watched Canelo’s fights with Golovkin, with Jacobs, with Mayweather, we all know how strong he is. But how will he feel in my weight category? Nobody knows that. You say that he will be a favorite, and many believe that I will have an advantage. For this, a battle is arranged to find out how it really is. Alvarez is lower and smaller than me, so I will need to work long distances. If you let it close, it will be very unpleasant. It works great on the hull. But we are still discussing something that may never happen. If it doesn’t work out with Alvarez, we will try to make a unifying battle with the winner of the duel between Gvozdik and Beterbiev. ”

About Jackson's dismissal:

“I trusted John David Jackson very much. Especially strongly after he refused to help many guys in order to concentrate on working with me. When we arrived at the arena and were preparing to enter the ring, I asked him to give me water only from a bottle that we ourselves brought. You never know what. But after the first round I sat down, and he gave me water from another bottle. I asked why. He muttered something there. Well, I thought. It may sound like nonsense, but from the second round I don’t remember the fight. I only woke up when a blow came in the eighth round. I can’t say that he added something to me, but I don’t exclude it. I paid him half of the amount that we agreed on. I could have paid nothing to him, because we didn’t have a contract. I told him: “John, I'm sorry, it seems to me that there was something unclean. I asked you to give the water that we brought. I don’t remember the fight from the middle of the second round. ”

About harassment on the plane:

“They wrote that I molested a girl there on an airplane, that I threw someone there with money. I know this guy who wrote it. I’ve simply ignored him for some time with his questions at press conferences. I say, “good question, let's get the next question.” I don’t know, maybe he wanted to take revenge on me. But if I did what he wrote, then I would be detained and arrested. But there was nothing of that. ”

Serge and GK BOX like this.
  3. Nonito Smoak

Nonito Smoak Ioka>Lomo, sorry my dudes Full Member

Sep 8, 2010
    It wouldn't be the first time Kovalev had no idea what was going on with his career or negotiations.

minemax likes this.
  4. minemax

Nov 10, 2017
    Yeah, it could be that as well. But, at the same time, Egis is like a friend to Sergey... A strange situation. By the way, this is what Egis Klimas said, when asked about this fight:
    This content is protected

5. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    I agree. I had the fights 8-4 to GGG both times and in fact I thought the second fight was even more to Golovkin's favour. After the first fight the Canelitas were saying Canelo made Golovkin miss and landed the hardest punches. After the second fight it was GGG that made Canelo miss and landed the harder punches in addition to again outlanding Canelo. The judges gave the scores to Canelo because he managed to stand his ground this time. The three blind mice :facepalm:

6. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    He's always been a Canelo scrotum sniffer. His painfully transparent "I support GGG" posts were just embarrassing.

iii and Boxcel like this.
  7. Sugar 88

Sugar 88 The Empire Struck Back Full Member

Feb 4, 2012
    I think they're more likely to be upset. You've not paid your dues on that front.

Angler Andrew likes this.
  8. HerolGee

HerolGee VIP Member banned Full Member

Sep 22, 2010
    well i am sorry that you had to take your argument being exposed, so hard and personally, that you felt compelled to write that to save face.

9. HerolGee

Sep 22, 2010
    i'm being fair to both, that exactly what my post doe, equal footing for both.

Its you who cant take fair judgement. You label it "nuthugging" of the other guy.

If you cant take fair appraisal then sure you should use "ignore" but true GGG fans will always be honourable to opponents as that honour reflects back on GGG himself.

remember 3G drew with canelo, so any priase you give Canelo is praise to 3G too. Equally any lack of respect you give to Canelo reflects on 3G.

10. HerolGee

Sep 22, 2010
    you think I shouldnt respect 1.5 lbs?

explain.

11. Grinder

Grinder Dude, don't call me Dude Full Member

Mar 24, 2005
    "Oh f--k that Byrd beeyatch, gonna give me another undeserved victory. I'm sick of this s--t"......... said no-one.

Looking at her picture she'd do it for sexual favours - almost untouchable.

To claim Canelo hasn't been given several victories by judges is bias.

BCS8, lordlosh and Angler Andrew like this.
  12. minemax

Nov 10, 2017
    So, now it's becoming clear what was the biggest hurdle for the negotiations—what would happen if Kovalev wins. The other part wanted the rematch on DAZN, but Arum (Kovalev's copromoter) was adamant that it should be on ESPN. And it seems like Bob got what he wanted. :smile: There will be no rematch on DAZN if Kovalev wins. I doubt Canelo would fight on ESPN, so that basically means no rematch if Alvarez loses.

If Sergey loses, he will get several fights on DAZN as his "retirement benefit".

13. Heavy_Hitter

Heavy_Hitter Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 7, 2018
    Because lots of people don't like priveledged, cheating fighters.

Serge and iii like this.
  14. HerolGee

Sep 22, 2010
    i hope its done deal, so we can see krusher KRUSH this impudent canelo all the way back to the welterweight division.

15. elmaldito

elmaldito Skillz Full Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Who is gonna watch canelo kovalov when masvidal is beating diaz half dead at the same time?