Carmen Basilio ,vs Jake LaMotta

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by la-califa, Oct 29, 2010.

1. la-califa

la-califa Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 12, 2007
    Two relentless swarmers head to head. who comes out on top in this Middleweight slugfest? 15 rounds.

2. Son of Gaul

Son of Gaul Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 16, 2010
    LaMotta's too big and too strong for Basilio at MW. LaMotta UD.

3. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    I agree this would be like the Fullmer v Carmen fights .

4. salsanchezfan

salsanchezfan Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 22, 2004
    While some of Carmen's futility against Fullmer can fairly be attributed to age and wear, all you gotta do is watch those fights and see how huge Fullmer looked compared to Basilio. Old or no, that was gonna tell in a fight between those two. Same boat here. Basilio has nothing to keep Lamotta off him, and he can't box his way out of it.

5. laxpdx

laxpdx Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 1, 2006
    Basilio is the more skilled fighter, but Jake is the bigger and stronger man. Carmen will give a hell of a fight, but LaMotta will keep boring in. Basilio will tire out late enroute to a TKO loss.

6. Bill1234

Bill1234 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Basilio would make a good fight of it in a losing effort. LaMotta in a close but clear decision.

7. turpinr

turpinr Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 6, 2009
    :good

8. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    LaMotta was pressed by ex-welter Cerdan when they fought for the title and Basilio is arguably better.

One of the areas where he is better is in weaving punches - I could definitely see a situation where Basilio does the better punching and that costs LaMotta rounds inspite of his relentlessness and aggression. Can LaMotta make Basilio welt? I don't think he can...over a distance like ten rounds I think Basilio is a fine pick, but no money going down over any distance, because I feel it's a case of what the judges will like.

9. TheGreatA

TheGreatA Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 4, 2009
    Not necessarily a better middle though and to be honest LaMotta just man-handled and beat up Cerdan who was courageous but never truly threatened LaMotta with anything he did.

LaMotta might be a better match-up for Basilio than Fullmer though as Basilio wouldn't have to go looking for him, unlike against Fullmer who had his bicycle on a lot of the time, but in a sense it's also worse for him as he would be fighting on the inside against a bigger, stronger man who was even more adept at that type of a fight than Fullmer, who always had the better of Basilio in the exchanges.

Basilio's sheer toughness and will keeps him in the fight, but he would get the worst of it for the most part. On his night Basilio could outpoint LaMotta who did not always turn up in best form in a "herculean" effort, but at their bests LaMotta would take it. He's the bigger and stronger man in a favourable match-up for him. LaMotta's real problems were against fighters who could take advantage of his slow feet, not those who tried to match him in strength.

If anyone wants to make a case for Basilio though they should bring up the Villemain fights, but I'm not so sure of LaMotta's conditioning for those fights, or pretty much any fight he had after the Billy Fox fix aside from his title-winning effort against Cerdan. He was in his prime during the mid 1940's, in my opinion.

10. itrymariti

itrymariti CaƱas! Full Member

Sep 6, 2008
    LOL @ the comparisons to Fullmer/Basilio

11. turpinr

turpinr Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 6, 2009
    lamotta can outbox or outfight basilio

12. PowerPuncher

PowerPuncher VIP Member Full Member

Jul 22, 2004